I Know What You Are, Mick [ch. 5/5] PG13

NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

I Know What You Are, Mick [ch. 5/5] PG13

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Beta: Much thanks and appreciation goes to Barb, a.k.a. Bank1115.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

I Know What You Are, Mick — Chapter 5

Mick came down the stairs fully attired, but Beth still blushed—Josef’s suggestive remarks still rang in her head.

“What?” He looked at her curiously.

“Oh…n-nothing…” Beth stammered, cursing Josef under her breath.

Mick raised an eyebrow. “All right then, shall we?” He gestured to the door.

Beth nodded dumbly and walked ahead of him to the elevator, standing as far away from Mick as she could, arms crossed over her chest.

Mick eyed her protective stance and cleared his throat, searching for something to say. “I’m sorry about Josef…you get used to him.”

Beth just rolled her eyes and nodded.

“Are you…are you afraid of me?”

Beth’s eyes shot to Mick’s. “No! Why would you even think that?”

“Well…I am a vampire.”

“A vampire who saved my life, and the life of a friend, from dangerous killers. I have no reason to be afraid of you.”

“I drink human blood.” Mick blurted.

“You haven’t tried to drink mine,” Beth pointed out. “Although, Josef, on the other hand…”

“Josef wouldn’t have done it without your permission. And even if he’d gotten it, he probably wouldn’t have gone through with it.”

Beth cocked an eyebrow. “Really?”

“You’re still new to the vampire game, he wouldn’t want to alienate you by tricking you into letting him bite you. He was just trying to freak you out, to test you. He has plenty of willing freshies at home to keep him well-fed.”

“—Freshies?”

“Yeah,” Mick sighed. “Humans who let vampires feed on them.” Seeing the look on Beth’s face, he hastened to add, “It doesn’t hurt them, and they’re well-compensated.”

“Do…do you have freshies, too?”

“I’ve used them in the past,” Mick admitted. “Now, I get most of my blood from the morgue.”

“Oh,” Beth wrinkled her nose.

“Yeah,” Mick shrugged, “Josef ribs me about it all the time.”

Beth smiled slightly. “I’m sorry…I’m just still processing it all, you know?”

“Yeah…I get it,” Mick said softly. “It’s a lot to…get.

“Let’s get you home.”

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The Benz pulled up in front of her building.

“Do you want me to walk you up?” Mick offered.

Beth shook her head. “No, it’s okay—thanks. Josh is probably waiting for me.”

Mick dipped his head. “Right.”

“Anyway, thanks for…everything. I’m really glad you’re all right,” Beth managed a smile.

“Yeah…me too.” He flashed a grin.

“And don’t worry…your secret is safe with me.”

“Yeah,” Mick nodded. “I hope…I mean, I think…I can trust you.”

They just looked at each other, eyes smiling for a few moments, until Beth finally opened her door and got out. Mick’s eyes followed her until she entered her building; then he put the car into gear and drove away. He didn’t see her pause in the lobby to look back after him.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

She turned the key in the lock slowly and pushed open the door. The lights were on. Josh was waiting up.

“Beth!”

“Hi, Josh.” She stood in the entranceway.

“Thank God you’re all right, I was worried sick!” He rushed over to her.

Beth smiled weakly. “Sorry…”

Josh pulled her into a long embrace, then pulled back to stroke her cheek. “Beth…what happened tonight? Is everyone okay? Julia?”

“Julia’s fine—well, she’s okay. She’ll be fine. Mick saved her.”

“—and Mick?”

“He’s all right, now that this is over…”

“Lee Jay’s back in custody?”

“No. He’s dead.” Beth’s tone was flat.

Josh’s eyebrows shot up.

Beth sighed and elaborated. “He shot at Mick; it was self-defence.”

“Did you witness it?” He ran his fingers down to her chin.

Beth nodded, slowly, turning her face away.

“My poor Beth.”

She let him pull her back into his embrace.

“So where have you been for all this time?”

Memories flashed through Beth’s mind—the warehouse, Mick’s office. Vampires…

“Beth?” Josh’s voice broke through her daze.

Beth shook her head loosely. “Yeah, sorry. I’m just really tired. It’s been a long night. What were you asking?”

“Where have you been? I got home hours ago.” His eyes searched hers.

Beth took a deep breath and stepped out of his arms. “Mick had tagged Julia’s car with a GPS device. I went along with him as navigator. We found Julia’s car at a warehouse. I stayed in the car while Mick went inside,” Beth sunk onto the couch.

“A few minutes later, Julia ran out of the warehouse. She said Lee Jay had shot Mick. I told her to call the police, and I went inside to help Mick.”

“Are you crazy?!”

Beth frowned at Josh. “I thought my friend was hurt. He saved my life once, I thought I’d attempt to return the favour.”

Josh still looked at her incredulously.

“I had a gun!” Beth shot back. “Mick gave me one before he went inside.”

Josh sat down beside her and took her hand. “Okay, okay. I’m sorry. I was just so worried—Lee Jay turned out to have a habit of murdering women, and the thought of you rushing in there alone—”

“It’s okay, Josh. I understand.”

They stared at each other until each of their mouths turned up slightly at the corners.

“Anyway, so go on,” Josh prompted her.

“So I rushed into the building—” More images flashed through her mind. Mick, on the floor, groaning and shaking; Lee Jay, with a rifle trained on Josef; Josef, who jumped impossibly high into the air to avoid being hit. “—And, uh…I saw Mick getting up off the ground. He was okay. Turned out Lee Jay’s round malfunctioned or something. When I ran in, I startled him, and distracted him long enough for Mick to jump him. Lee Jay tried to shoot Mick again and missed. That’s when Mick got him.”

“He shot him?”

“No, I had his gun. He snapped Lee Jay’s neck.”

Josh was puzzled. “Mick went in there unarmed, knowing there was a guy in there wanting to kill him?”

“Yeah, I-I guess he didn’t want to leave me unprotected.”

“Huh.” Josh fell silent.

“So anyway,” Beth began again, “I made Mick go home—he was exhausted—and I waited for the police to give my statement. Then I took Mick’s car home and talked to him for a while about…what happened tonight. He just dropped me off.”

Josh said nothing.

“Look, Josh, can we just go to bed, please? It’s been a really rough night.”

“Yeah, sure. You go ahead. I’ll be right in.”

Beth smiled at him and squeezed his hand for a moment before she dropped it and moved down the hall.

“What did Lee Jay know about you, Mick St. John?” Josh murmured.

The end...for now.
MSJ_sunglasses
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: I Know What You Are, Mick [ch. 5/5] PG13

Post by MSJ_sunglasses »

Beth knows how to spin a story, but somehow I don't think Josh is buying it! :clapping:
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

You're right, MSJ--neither is Carl. That's why there's a sequel! :) Thanks for reading! :wave:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Great story, Nocturne. Beth is good at fabricating something out of a bit of truth and lots of lies. Must be why she's so good as a reporter.
Josh is smarter than he was given credit for in the actual show.
I put off reading the rest your story because it's a bit similar to the one I'm currently writing. Don't want to inadvertedly take something from you. I'll read it when Twists of Fate is ready.
:hug:
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Thank you SO much, Francis! :hug: I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Beth might be sometimes good at mixing up a bit of truth with a lot of lies, but it doesn't always work out...[see the sequel]. Of course, Mick and Josef did/will do a few things that won't quite work, either...

As for reading the sequel to this, it's entirely up to you if you wait until yours is done to read it--but it hasn't stopped me from reading and loving Twists of Fate! Having read yours so far, and knowing mine and where it's going, I don't think our stories are all that similar. Morgaline is playing a huge role in yours, whereas she doesn't even exist in mine (since it sticks to only episodes 2 and a little of 3, and that's with my altered events), and Carl plays a slightly bigger role than Josh does in my story, doing most of the investigating, which is forensics-heavy.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Oh, thanks, Nocturne, good to know. Then I will take it on asap. :smooch:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Absolutely fabulous!!!

Thank you for sharing this with us, NocturninCMoll!!!

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Thank you so much, Jen! :hearts:

Return to “I Know What You Are, Mick”