Becoming MickLifeCrisis - 2nd Anniversary Challenge

A place for MickLifeCrisis' G to PG-13 stories
maggatha3
Ancient

Re: Becoming MickLifeCrisis - 2nd Anniversary Challenge

Post by maggatha3 »

MickLifeCrisis wrote:I settle in for my usual Friday night ritual. Ghost Whisperer at eight o’clock. Numb3rs at ten o’clock. Hmm, the ads during Ghost Whisperer for that Moonlight show look interesting, and that guy is pretty cute, but I’m not going to commit myself to three solid hours of television every Friday night. I might need my brain cells later in life. So at nine o’clock I turn off the television and work the Wall Street Journal crossword puzzle that is published only on Fridays. I look forward to it every week. Keeps those brain cells sharp.

Finished the puzzle. It’s early yet for Numb3rs, but I turn on the TV. Oh, that vampire show.

“You can’t feed here. We have rules.” A fight. A stake. A body in flames.

Two friends sharing a drink and a tale by the fire.

The good looking one, Mick I think his name is, nervously knocks on the blonde’s door.

“You’re the first human that I’ve told any of this to, about who I am or what I am. So yeah, I trust you.” The words. The touch. The music. She watches him walk down the hall. Wow. I have to see more of this.

Saturday morning. Fire up the laptop. Go to the CBS website to see if they show the full episodes. They do! Watch the first one. Boy, this is good. Watch the second one. I have to have more. Watch the entire third one. I am hooked. Who cares about three hours of television? This grabs me deep inside. Never felt like this about a television show before.

Oh, look. There is a message board on cbs.com and people are commenting about Moonlight. I’ve never used a message board before. Wow, look at all the people talking about this show! I come back again and again to read what people say. A guilty pleasure. Someone posts that there is a board especially for Moonlight, called Moonlight Fans. I’ll just take a peek. So this is what a forum looks like! I had no idea. Pictures. Screen names. Lingo. Other people who love this show as much as I do. Who feel drawn to it like I do.

I learn the vernacular. I lurk for a week or two. I come up with a screen name and get up the nerve to join. My name fits what is happening to me. My mid-life crisis. It has to be. What else could explain it?

Several board splits later. Same online friends. New online friends. New computer skills. So this is fan fiction. Wow, these stories bring the characters to life! I have a story inside me. Where did it come from? It bubbles up to the surface. I wasn’t so bad at writing in school; maybe I could try one. But these authors are so good. Dare I post one? What if no one likes it? I’ll just do this one.

The show ended before its time. Not the ending I wanted, but one I can live with. I have a DVD of sixteen episodes. I watch them over and over and over. Mick and Beth are everything to me. The emotions Alex can convey with a look, a gesture; they still move me.

Two years later, and I am still drawn to my computer every night. Every. Night.

Thanks to all of you.

Oh, MLC!! You just don't know for how long I thought it was just me! Till about the time Shadow told me of this homy place... It felt so good to read this, so similar to my story!
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

:hug: Hugs to you, Maggatha!

And here it is, after the fourth anniversary, I've written way more than "just one" fanfic, and I sill sign on to ML boards every night. :mooncat:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Bumping for a trip down memory lane for the 15th Anniversary... where it all began for me.

And I still check in here almost every day. Love you all! :flowers:
MickLifeCrisis
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I'm so glad you bumped this, MLC! I love you all, my fellow crazy people who understand me and my weird obsession... :snicker: and even after 15 years, there are a few of us still here!! :ghug: :hearts: :rose:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Yep. Yep. **nods repeatedly* Mmmhmm. :yes: Exactly. :twothumbs:

This really brings back those early days of trying to find "more" and those clumsy attempts at navigating the web and then being caught in the "web" of everything Moonlight. :flowers: :hug:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Lilly wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:08 pm This really brings back those early days of trying to find "more" and those clumsy attempts at navigating the web and then being caught in the "web" of everything Moonlight. :flowers: :hug:
I love that analogy! (Even if it does compare me to a fly. :snicker: )

[Image
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

I like that too! Navigating the web and then being caught...

(Only thing is I hate spiders. Scared of them!) :scary:

:snicker:
MickLifeCrisis
aolver
Rogue vampire

Post by aolver »

:heart: guess I wasn’t around for that posting. I’m still so proud that I was there from that first episode. Didn’t pay attention to the web back then…at least til I heard about the cancellation. Loved reading your memories of that time. :hug:
Beautiful banner and avatar by Skylar
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Thanks for bumping this, MLC! I had to laugh about the WSJ puzzle as I just finished it today, LOL!

I never would have even heard of fanfic or seen a forum either, had it not been for Moonlight. What a great and wild ride. :hearts:
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo

Return to “MickLifeCrisis' Office”