On Ice [part 1/4] PG13

A place for NocturneInCMoll's G to PG-13 stories.
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

On Ice [part 1/4] PG13

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Summary: An alternate ending for Ep. 13, “Fated to Pretend.” Mick’s re-turning does not go as planned and Josef has to save Beth and Talbot by himself.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

On Ice — Part 1

Josef loomed over Mick’s prone body on the table and bit sharply into his own arm. He held the wound directly over Mick’s mouth, letting the blood drip in steadily.

“Come on, Mick—rise and shine.”

That should do it. He let his wound heal over and stood there, fists clenched, mouth set to break into a grin—waiting.

“Mick…Mick, c’mon, buddy,” he prodded him. Nothing.

“Mick,” he poked him repeatedly in the side, trying to quell the panic that was starting to rise. “This is not the time to lay around on the job. Get up!” he shouted. “You gotta go rescue your damsel in distress.

“MICK!”

Josef grabbed him by the collar and shook him, hard. No movement. No response. Just like Sarah…

“Mick,” he whispered. “No…”

He desperately pressed his ear up against Mick’s chest, hoping for a heartbeat he knew would not—could not—be there. Anything, any sign of life—not dead or undead.

“NO! Not again!” Josef dropped Mick and slammed his fist on the table so hard it cracked in half, sending Mick’s body tumbling to the floor in a tangle of limbs and splintered wood. In a split second, he’d snatched Mick back up and carried him upstairs.

He laid Mick gently to rest in his freezer and stared down at his still form. “I failed you, Mick—but I won’t let Beth down. I’ll save her, for you. I’ll take care of her. And I promise you—I will never turn her.”

With that valediction, Josef closed the freezer over his best friend and laid a hand on the lid for a minute, head bowed in a silent tribute. Then he lifted his head, eyes white and narrowed, and let out a long, deadly roar. Eye for an eye. He was downstairs in the next moment seizing a small cache of weapons before rushing off, a blur into the night.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Anders paced the room as two of his associates sampled some of his merchandise. He looked over to contemplate his two captives. The blonde, the AO-, he would drain and sell off in pints. Or, maybe… He licked his lips. If he kept her captive and alive—“on ice,” so to speak—and took her blood over time, it’d mean more in the long run. She certainly was delicious. He looked over at the man blindfolded and tied to the girl and curled his lip disdainfully. He was a common O+, of little use for his business purposes, but he couldn’t have him exposing his business and his non-human status. He shrugged. No need to keep him alive—but first he needed to know what he knew and who he’d told—and maybe enjoy a meal, however plebeian.

Just as he was about to go over and interrogate his dinner, the door exploded off its hinges and flew into the room.

The vampires all snapped into fighting stances—with the exception of Anders, who froze behind a counter. Beth and Talbot both startled, trying to look around despite their blindfolds.

Josef stepped slowly through the empty doorframe, filled with cold rage. The vampires could feel it radiating from him like a strong wind, but the humans were essentially in the dark as to the source—and intent—of the commotion.

“Wh-what’s going on?” Talbot called tentatively.

Josef ignored the humans and stared the vampires down.

“Anders!” He yelled in a rage. “Which one of you is Anders?”

Josef, Beth thought with some relief at the familiar voice. It’s Josef! Mick must be okay then, because Josef wouldn’t have known where to come otherwise. Maybe Josef wouldn’t let Mick come, because he’s human

Anders’s two cronies quickly pointed him out to the intruder. Anders didn’t pay them nearly enough to take on a seriously pissed-off vamp that was at least twice their ages combined. No way.

Their cooperation did not go unpunished. No sooner had they identified Anders than they were pumped full of silver bullets and staked.

Josef slowly turned to face Anders, who was cowering in the corner looking around wildly at the carnage, and stalked toward him. “You!” He growled. “You bastard! Because of you, my best friend made me kill him!” He stopped in his tracks and inhaled deeply, feeding off Anders’s fear. His eyes rolled back in his head in pure predatory pleasure. Then he looked into the eyes of his prey and lunged.

In one leap he had near flown to Anders’s side. Anders tried to get up and run around him, but Josef was much faster. Anders found himself pinned to the wall, impaled on a long, sharp stake. Josef bared his fangs and bit viciously into Anders’s shoulder. Anders roared in pain. Josef grinned at him with bloody fangs, then slowly pulled a machete out of his jacket, purposefully brandishing it in front of him before he separated Anders’s head from his body.

In a split second, Josef was kneeling beside Beth. He gently pulled the blindfold off, then snapped the ties around her wrists. Beth threw her arms around him. “Josef—thank you,” she breathed and searched his face. “But where’s—”

“I’m so sorry, Beth,” he gulped, tears streaming down his face. “I tried.”

Beth paled and grabbed at his shirt. “Josef,” her voice shook, “what do you mean—what do you mean, ‘you tried’?” She cupped his cheek. “Where’s Mick?” she whispered.

Josef couldn’t look her in the eye. “Mick…he wanted to save you…I showed him he couldn’t do it as a human. He-he begged me to turn him back,” he squeezed his eyes shut tight but a tear slipped out, “So I did—I tried—but it was like Sarah!” He let out a half-sob, “He didn’t wake up, Beth, he didn’t wake up, and I’m so sorry!”

Beth sat back, her eyes wide with shock. She couldn’t speak. Mick couldn’t be gone. Suddenly Josef grasped onto her so tightly she could barely breathe. “Mick loved you. He wanted you to be safe,” he said fiercely and pulled back to look at her. “That’s why I came. I failed him, but I won’t fail you. I’ll protect you now. Mick would have wanted it.”

“Mick…” Beth squeaked, tears finally running in rivulets down her cheeks. Josef pulled her into his embrace again and together they mourned their friend, ignoring Talbot who was still squirming around in his restraints.

To be continued...
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: On Ice [part 1/4] PG13

Post by francis »

This was heartbreaking from the first to the last sentence. This is Josef’s worst nightmare, another Sarah.
You explain Anders’s motives for keeping them just fine. Makes sense. Josef full of rage – but it won’t bring Mick back. Sob.
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: On Ice [part 1/4] PG13

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Thanks, Francis. It definitely is Josef's worst nightmare, and now Beth's as well--she never thought she could lose Mick.

Return to “NocturneInCMoll's Office”