First Date - G - March 8, 2009

A place for Penina Spinka's G to PG-13 stories
Penina Spinka
Freelance freshie

First Date - G - March 8, 2009

Post by Penina Spinka »

As always, I don't own the Moonlight characters, but they are so inspiring.

First Date - Rated G

Nearly 13-years-old in October of 1934, Mick makes plans any healthy red-blooded adolescent American boy living in Depression era Los Angeles would make. He wants to get cozy with a cute girl. In the meanwhile, figures lurking in the shadows discuss quite different plans for his future. All the players are from the show except for Mick’s date, but she gave me permission to use her name.

He hated to use the streetcar for a date, but Mick didn’t have money for a taxi. It wasn’t like his dad would let him drive the old Ford. They were lucky to have a car at all considering how the Depression affected so many of their neighbors. He was lucky his father had a job at all that autumn. He’d earned a couple of dollars after a summer of doing odd jobs, mowing lawns, cleaning gutters and stuff. He finally had enough to ask the lovely Ronnette out for a date. He wanted to show her a good time and maybe get a real kiss in the dark of the movie palace.

When he first asked her, her mother they were much too young. The only way they would be allowed to go out is if they group-dated. Mick agreed to ask Ray, his best friend. Fortunately, the theater was just one streetcar fare along Wilshire Boulevard. R Ray’s dad could pick the foursome up after the movie. Ray, Mick’s best friend, had been more practical. “Why not let my dad drive us both ways and save on the streetcar?”

“We’d feel older, not like kids with one of our dads driving. The girls would have more respect for us, like we were in high school already. We might get lucky.”

“How lucky do you think we can get? We are kids,” Ray said, but Mick was adamant that he wanted to impress Ronnette with his maturity. “Boys are supposed to be interested in sports.”

“Yeah, of course, but the Series is over and there’s no basketball or football on the radio this Saturday. Ronnette’s been giving me the eye. Maybe I’ll get a kiss and a squeeze. I know we have to work our way up, but I bet she’d like that for a first date.” Ray sighed. “Who you gonna ask?” Mick asked.

“Who d’you think?” Ray rolled his eyes. As if he would ever ask anyone but Lila. They’d been passing each other notes since Second Grade.

“Just make sure Lila says yes so I can tell Ronnette’s mother it’ll be the four of us. It’s the only way she’ll let her come. We’ll pick up the girls around three at Ronnette’s and then walk to Wilshire Boulevard to catch the Red Line to the Realto. Dracula is playing there.”

“We saw that when that first came out two years ago,” Ray said. “Why do you want to see it again?”

“Because Ronnette hasn’t seen it yet.” He winked to Ray.

“So? Girls don’t like creepy movies.”
Mick pushed his fingers through his curly hair. “They do when they’re with boys. You just ask Lila tomorrow at school. I’ll firm things up with Ronnette. It’ll be good.”

Ray persisted. “Tell me again why you want to see Dracula. It was icky. Drinking blood. Monsters.”

“I’ve got it all figured out. The girls will get scared and practically jump into our laps. We can comfort them and squeeze them at the same time.”

Ray turned beet red. “That’s no way to treat a lady and Lila is a lady. At least she’s going to be. I’m going to marry her.”

Mick chuckled. “What? In 10 years? Anyway, I’ve had my eye on Ronnette for a while already. Let’s see how she feels about being comforted.”

“Mick. Do you know where your brain is? I’ll tell you. It’s in your…”

Mick threw his head back and laughed so he never heard what Ray said, even though he had an idea. As he ran down the block to his own house, he was thinking about how he was going to ask his pretty classmate to be his first date, even if it had to be a foursome.

It was dark when they exited the theater. “Come on, Ronnette,” Mick urged. “The double feature ended later than I thought, but we still have time for an ice-cream soda while we wait for Ray’s father to pick us up. There’s no school tomorrow. I’ve got enough money.” He jiggled the quarters in his pocket, feeling rich. A whole dollar for a date, but it had been worth it. He’d gotten to kiss Ronnette.

They strolled through the departing crowd, Ronnette leaning into Mick. He was tall and she was short, but he had his arm around her back as if she couldn’t walk without his support.

“Well, Dracula was scary,” Ronnette said. “But, the Mummy was worse. I hated the part when you think the monster is dead and then he puts his hands right through the door and cracks someone’s neck. I nearly jumped out of my seat.”

“I noticed,” Mick said, squeezing her closer. “That would take super strength, but it looked like fun, didn’t it?”

“It was even worse when he was under the leaves and he suddenly sat up,” Lila said. “I practically died of fright.” That was a good scene, Mick thought. He might try that trick to scare someone on Halloween. All it would take was a little careful planning.

“Good thing I was there to save you,” said Ray, kissing his date’s cheek.

“What did they use for the blood?” Ronnette asked. “It looked so real,”

“Tomato juice or ketchup?” Ray offered.

“Well, since movies are only black and white, they don’t have to worry about the color,” Mick said. “Someone who works in Hollywood told my mother they use Fox’s U-Bet. I wouldn’t mind licking chocolate syrup off your neck, Ronnette. We can pretend that it’s blood. I wonder if vampires think blood tastes good. What do you think?” He quirked an eyebrow, and grinned.

Ronnette looked far too serious for his light tone. “It’s still creepy. Imagine living on nothing but blood, and sleeping in a coffin. Imagine getting staked. That would be awful.”

“What? You’re feeling sorry for the vampire now? Remember, they’re monsters,” Mick said. “I’ll protect you if a big, bad vampire comes by and thinks you look tasty. Come on. Let’s get that ice cream soda.”

The kids didn’t notice the tall, sandy haired man with the beautiful dark-haired woman until they nearly bumped into them. “Sorry,” Mick said.

“That’s all right,” said the youngish looking man. The couple turned to watch the young people cross the street to the ice cream parlor. “See, I told you,” the man said to his companion. “It means nothing to them. It’s simply a source of entertainment. Bela Lugosi did a credible job considering the script, but humans will never believe vampires actually exist.”

“I hope you’re right, Josef,” said the woman. “I like the looks of the tall boy. He has something special about him.”

“You shouldn’t look that way at children, Coraline,” Josef said.

The woman smiled. “Maybe you’re right, but still, I think I’m going to keep my eye on that boy and watch him while he grows up. I like his attitude. There’s definite potential there.”

“Give him time to mature. It’ll be about twenty years before he’s ready for you. You have all the time in the world,” said Josef. “You’ll look twenty forever.”

“True,” said Coraline. “Thanks for the movie. It’s always a good idea to know what the human population thinks of us.” The limousine pulled up for them. Coraline took one last look at the tall boy and got into the car.
Last edited by Penina Spinka on Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read Sam stories by Penina My index: http://www.moonlightaholics.com/viewforum.php?f=560
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: First Date - March 8, 2009

Post by wpgrace »

This was great fun Penina!

I love the references to moments in the series...
Penina Spinka wrote: I hated the part when you think the monster is dead and then he puts his hands right through the door and cracks someone’s neck.
Just like HE did in Fever... tho Baby Mick thinks that would be cool...
Penina Spinka wrote:“It was even worse when he was under the leaves and he suddenly sat up,” Lila said.
Just like HE did in FdL... and again, Baby Mick wants to try it...
Penina Spinka wrote:Ronnette looked far too serious for his light tone. “It’s still creepy. Imagine living on nothing but blood, and sleeping in a coffin. Imagine getting staked. That would be awful.”

“What? You’re feeling sorry for the vampire now? Remember, they’re monsters,” Mick said.
And the show was fun, but vamps ARE monsters to Baby Mick!

And the idea that Cora noticed him, and how special he is, isn't that big of a stretch for me... :thumbs:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Penina Spinka
Freelance freshie

Post by Penina Spinka »

Thank you wpgrace. I'm glad you enjoyed First Date and caught all the references. Vampires can be monsters. It depends on what they do with their gifts/curse. Now that this is up again, I have to post New Habit and then, my Sam Birchtree novels. I just finished the 3rd one - New Day. So far, it's only up complete in fanfiction . net. I have the first 5 chapters on vamploveforever . net , but I have yet to post any of my Sam novels here, so The Beat and Possibly Sam have to go up first. New Day goes back 3000 years to the first time all 4 - Mick, Josef, Sam and Francis had an adventure together. I'm hope you'll find it. Are there any of your stories floating around that you'd like me to read? Just tell me. Best, Penina
Read Sam stories by Penina My index: http://www.moonlightaholics.com/viewforum.php?f=560
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Oh I loved The Beat, but that's the only Sam story I have seen! I did not know there were others... I will be eager to see them when you've posted! He is a wonderful character.

I'll check out what all else is in your office so far...

And I am flattered that you think I might write, but I do not. I can do the grammar part, but no imagination whatsoever, so I can't create a story... so I'm sooooooo grateful to you talented and generous peeps who DO write such lovely stories!!!
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
ash
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Trying juggle, homework, uni, a social life, rp and writing things that get stuck in my head. Tough

Post by ash »

very cute and i like the parallel's to the futures
jen
Cleaner

Re: First Date - G - March 8, 2009

Post by jen »

Cute and charming.

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Penina Spinka
Freelance freshie

Post by Penina Spinka »

Thank you, Jen, for taking the time to tell me you enjoyed this. Maybe I ought to post more of my stories over here. Penina
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

This starts out as a cute look at Mick's childhood, but it quickly turns into more: a short conversation about vampires and monsters.

I could totally see Coraline having kept an eye on Mick over the years. It's just the kind of thing she would do. :chin: Having Josef there with her is a nice touch.

Thank you, Penina! :flowers:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!

Return to “Penina Spinka's Office”