Finding Sam - an unexpected fourth chapter - PG-13

A place for Penina Spinka's G to PG-13 stories
Penina Spinka
Freelance freshie

Finding Sam - an unexpected fourth chapter - PG-13

Post by Penina Spinka »

Fan fics can be funny. You think they're done when they aren't. This might be the last chapter until or unless I get more ideas. I do own these characters, but they are based on my version of the Moonlight universe. Please, if you read, be good enough to comment and tell me if it pleased you. Penina

Finding Sam – Part 4

Penina Spinka

“I think I know why I liked you in those other lives,” Sam said as they descended in the elevator to the lobby. The apartment had a tiny, creaky elevator and a tiny lobby. “I hope you don’t mind if I ask you questions. After all, you said some things that were pretty outrageous yesterday.”

“I’m sure they sounded that way, but all of it is true. I hope you won’t mind but I may not answer all of your questions. I will never lie to you, Sam, but I can’t tell you everything, not yet at least.”

Sam thought about it and nodded. “That’s fair.” They emerged from the lobby into the sunny street. He kept his voice to a whisper, thinking Francis would be able to hear him well enough. “How can you be all right in the sun?”

“Young blood drinkers can’t bear the sun well – it hurts. At my age, it’s not a problem. My car is over this way.” He pointed to a gray BMW with a diplomatic license and flags halfway down the block.

“How old are you, really?” Sam asked as they walked. He hoped he wasn’t being rude. Francis might not be a clan elder, but he was surely an elder.

“I won’t be evasive and ask how old I look. I appear to be in my middle 30s, but you already know I’m much older than that. I don’t want to say any more about that for now. You learned too much since last night. Much more would destroy your equilibrium.”

That was a Native American thing to say. Sam looked at him, hard. He pierced Francis’ mind once more, but found himself hearing words in an eastern European language.

Francis smiled, shaking his head. “I’ll translate what I was just thinking to you. ‘Stop trying to do that.’ I won’t think in English until we’ve known each other longer.” He clicked open the doors to his car. Sam got in and buckled his shoulder strap.

“How did you know what I was doing? Do you hear thoughts yourself?”

“No, but I’m very perceptive. I’ve had a lot of practice, especially with you. Remember that I know your soul even if I barely know you. I suspected you were receiving my thoughts last night during your performance. When you came to me after you took your bow, I was certain. Mind hearing is very shamanistic. You’ve been a shaman before, in Africa and India. Are you one now as well?”

“Well, I had the gift and I was trained to be a shaman by my grandmother, but I don’t practice the art much.” Sam said. “I hear thoughts and feel souls. I felt yours last night in the park. It made me feel safe and a little sad at the thought of leaving you. That’s why I came back to the bench.”

Francis reached over to touch Sam’s hand. His movement was both subtle and gentle. “I’m very glad you came back and you trusted me.”

“That, plus the fact that I thought I was high on drugs or dreaming.”

“I’ll accept that, as long as you came back. Where would you like to go for breakfast or lunch?” Francis asked.

“I’ll show you. Drive down two blocks and make a right. We won’t be able to talk about this in the restaurant,” he said. “I want like to ask more questions about blood drinkers while we’re in the car.”

Francis started the car and pulled out. “Go ahead and ask.”

“Can you enter a dwelling without being invited in?”

“Of course. There are so many superstitions. It’s a pity how many human corpses were mutilated in the cause of stamping us out. Before you ask, we don’t necessarily sleep in coffins, just cool, dark places.”

Sam nodded. “Do you have a reflection?”

Francis waved his hand over the rear-view mirror. “I’m solid, aren’t I? Light waves bounce off solid objects. Can you see my fingers in the glass?”

“I can. That one didn’t make much sense to me, but I had to ask. I know you don’t like the “V” word much, but I want to understand who and what you really are. You said I always come back for you, into new lives. Tell me who and what I was in one of my recent lives.”

Francis didn’t hesitate. “This was a sad one. You were a Buddhist priest in Beijing during the Chinese Cultural revolution. The Red Guard arrested and killed you in 1965. I was away from the city that day on business. Their troop all died within the week of your death, as well as those who had anything to do with ordering your execution. I wasn’t able to save you that time, but I don’t take well to losing you or to anyone who harms you.”

Sam took a deep breath. “Oh,” was all he could say for several moments. They had stopped at a light. “Take a left at the next street when the light turns. It’s halfway down on the right. Look for the red sign with the Chinese letters.”

The restaurant came into view. “The Peking Gourmet?” Francis smiled.

“Now, I know why I like Chinese food.”

“You had no trouble believing in reincarnation when you were Buddhist,” Francis said. “Do you believe me now when I say I’ve been your friend before?”

“I suppose I must. You know more about me than I do. I think some tea and tilapia in black bean sauce over rice would help me think this over.” Sam had another question. “Do you eat?”

“No. It's funny, but you used to like tilapia with black bean sauce when we knew each other before too.” He shook his head at what was carried down in the soul. They got out of the car and entered the small restaurant.

While they waited for Sam’s order, Francis told him about several apartment buildings they could check out. “They’re condos. Instead of staying at a hotel or the embassy, I’ll stay with you when I’m in New York. It would be a business related expense. The United Nations and the government of Romania will reimburse me for part of it.”

“So, I’d be your caretaker?” Sam wasn’t sure he liked the sound of that.

“No. You’d be co-owner. I’m going to open a joint bank account for you to furnish it and get yourself a car. Do you already have one?"

"No. It would be good for trips home and to bring you to the airport when you visit."

Francis exhaled. That meant Sam expected to spend time with him. "Both our names will be on the deed for the condo. I said I don’t want you to have to worry about money while you think about your music. Be reasonable though. I know you will. You know how to live on very little. Buy what you need to be comfortable. When you’re doing well enough, you can send me a percentage of your earnings. You decide how much.”

Sam’s fish arrived, but his mouth felt almost too dry to swallow. He took a sip of his tea. He had to ask the question. “What do you want for what you’re giving me? Don’t leave anything out.”

“I want you to be happy.

“What about…you know?”

“Only if and when you wish. You know what it’s like now. I’ll be here only a week or so twice a year. I can find nourishment elsewhere, but the satisfaction of your soul is more filling for me than anything. Finding you again is the high point of my existence. Let me be your friend and do things for you. It’s all I want and what I live for.”

Sam felt unshed tears sting his eyes. How could he eat lunch after hearing that? “I just met you last night, but it sounds like you love me, or you have in the past,” he said below his breath. “How do you know I’m worth it?”

Francis met his gaze. “I haven’t tried to hide it.” He lowered his eyes, then. “I know because I know your soul. We’re old friends. Eat your fish.”

“I wish you could tell me how we first became friends.”

Francis looked off into the distance. “Not yet. Don’t ask me and don’t look into my mind for answers. I’ll tell you why you’re so important to me when you’re ready. Just believe me that you are.”

They found the perfect apartment on the third try. It was the eleventh floor of an apartment building, turned condominium, on the outskirts of the Village. There was one bedroom large enough for a king-sized bed and a couch, two baths, a large living room, and a fair sized kitchen. There was enough space to host a party without difficulty. “You’ll want friends over to practice. Even if you won’t leave your current leader yet, you’re going to lead your own band when your contract ends. Be working towards it. This will give you room. If you agree, let’s sign the contract. I’ll arrange the financing and have them send you the deed. Next, we need to find a piano. It would go over by that wall.”

Sam hardly knew what to say. “Do you play the piano?”

“I can. I’m not a musician by inclination. As you can imagine, I move every few decades from one place and profession to another or people will realize that I don’t age. In some of your lives, I’ve played instruments just to get near enough to befriend you. Most of the time, I’m a diplomat in one version or another, or a teacher, or a doctor.”

“And me. What have I been? What kind of person am I? What makes me happy?”

“An artist or musician, an actor, a ruler, a shaman and a monk. More than any of those, you take joy in the love of your family, your wives and children. You’ve let me be a part of your life before, and be an uncle to your children. I hope that will happen again.”

They were alone in the large room of the condo. The agent had left them alone to make their decision. They were to come to her in her office when they made up their mind. Sam sank to his knees to spread out his shaman senses. Was this a happy place that would lend itself to creativity and the kind of love he was searching for? He wanted the love of friends, the love of family, and also the love of a special friend. Francis, powerful as he was, had a vulnerability that drew him in. He was that friend. Sam had no doubt about it now.

“Kneel with me, Francis,” he said. The two knelt together on the new carpet, arms resting on each other’s backs, cheeks together. Sam said a few words in how own native language, then moved slightly away from Francis. “I asked the spirits of this dwelling to accept us and shelter us. This is going to be a good place. We’ll make it even better.” He removed his coat and then pulled off his shirt. “Do what you did to me yesterday.” Francis gave him a crooked smile, his surprise showing. “You didn’t take much last night. Show me what it’s really like.”

“If you’re sure.” He came close to Sam again and touched his wrist.

“You did that last night. Why?”

“I can hear your pulse and your heart beat without touching you. This is a way for me to know if you’re healthy, resilient enough, so I’m sure not to harm you.” He backed to the wall sitting, leaning against it for support, and then held out both arms for Sam.

The ecstasy Francis gave him was worth the lethargy that followed. He didn’t have to work tonight and Francis was driving. When Francis released him, Sam sank to the carpet on his side, knees drawn up. “I want to remember feeling exactly like this every time I play my drums or write a song,” Sam said lazily. If he could purr, he would have. He opened his eyes enough to glance at Francis. He was also reclining.

A satisfied smile hovered around his lips, and his cheeks were pink. “I told you this was less addictive than drugs. You’re doing your best to prove me wrong.”

“I’m ready to sign my name on the dotted line now,” Sam said, “in blood if need be.”

Francis sat up. “Save that for me,” he said.
Read Sam stories by Penina My index: http://www.moonlightaholics.com/viewforum.php?f=560
jen
Cleaner

Re: Finding Sam - an unexpected fourth chapter - PG-13

Post by jen »

This account of reincarnation is quite stunning. If a little scarey to me at the moment--not used to thinking in thses terms.

Wonderful story

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Penina Spinka
Freelance freshie

Re: Finding Sam - an unexpected fourth chapter - PG-13

Post by Penina Spinka »

Thank you, Jen. I admit reincarnation is not something I was raised with, but I like to think it could be true. Some people I know believe in it. You don't have to be Hindu or Buddhist to consider the idea. I would not be scared of the idea of advancing spiritually in each new life. I love the idea that Radu keeps finding his brother. I have more stories with the brothers. I have to see what I have in here and put in the ones that are missing from this venue
Best wishes,
Penina
Read Sam stories by Penina My index: http://www.moonlightaholics.com/viewforum.php?f=560

Return to “Penina Spinka's Office”