Finding Sam - conclusion (PG-13)

A place for Penina Spinka's G to PG-13 stories
Penina Spinka
Freelance freshie

Finding Sam - conclusion (PG-13)

Post by Penina Spinka »

This is the last chapter of Finding Sam. I hope people who read The Beat will find it. If not for Francis and what he taught him, Sam wouldn't have been able to understand and help Mick as he did in The Beat. If you read, please give your opinion. This introduces Alfred who will appear in another story. He's an OC, at least to Moonlight stories.

Finding Sam – Chapter 7 - Rated PG-13

Penina Keen Spinka

Alfred looked up as Francis strode into his club, Music of the Night. His full head of silver blond hair suited him like a crown. He hardly believed his eyes. It was three a.m. and Francis Radu was talking towards him. Alfred motioned him to take the adjacent chair. He began to stand in deference, but Francis motioned for him to keep his seat.

“I haven’t seen you in a few hundred years,” Alfred said. “What are you doing in the New World? How did you find my club?”

“It’s nice to see you too, Alfred,” Francis said. “I’m glad you survived. Are you still using the name Alfred?”

“I’m using it again after a long break and some traveling. I’ve always taken your advice, Radu.” Alfred was tall, but he managed a half bow from his seat. “Welcome to my establishment. How did you find us?”

“Persistent and distrustful as always,” Francis said. “You haven’t changed in that although I must say you look good in modern clothing and without the beard. You looked good when we met in 880 too, imposing as a Viking.” Alfred scowled. “I know – you spent your life fighting them and you won the majority of your battles. As for how I found you, I heard rumors in Europe of a Club near SoHo. I walked every block until I sniffed you out. The smell of fresh blood was my first clue. Then I smelled blood-drinkers. Chances are fresh blood wouldn’t be flowing except at a crime scene, a hospital, or a blood-drinker club. Since I heard no screams or gunshots and a hospital in the lower basement of an old apartment building was unlikely, I took the elevator downstairs and here you were.”

“So, you smelled us out,” Alfred said. “I’m glad the police don’t use bloodhounds to track us, but since they don’t know we exist, that’s not likely. Your sense of smell is better than theirs in any case. Our community has enough of us in law enforcement and government to keep us under the radar. ‘A blood-drinker club?’ You still don’t like the word “vampire?”

“Do you?”

“It doesn’t matter. You must be in New York for a reason. You never leave Europe.”

Francis nodded. “I do have a reason. I’m going to ask a favor of you. Considering who you were, I expect you exert some authority in New York. Am I right?”

“I’m the unofficial governor of New York, for our kind. I’ll do whatever you require. There aren’t many people I ever called Sire in my life, just my father and you. I began this club seventy-five years ago. It’s incorporated now, but I still manage it. But, why are we talking business before pleasure when I haven’t enjoyed your company in centuries? You’re my guest here. Where are my manners?”

Francis looked at him sternly, but his eyes twinkled with humor. “Yes, Alfred; where are they? My throat is dry.”

“May I offer you a liquid refreshment, on the house, of course?” That gained him a grin. “What is your preference? We have all types on tap – blood type, body type, color, disposition, and age. Name it and we will strive to accommodate you.”

“Mature, if you have one on call. No preference in anything else – I enjoy variety. So long as she’s healthy.”

Alfred snapped his fingers and a waiter hurried to them. He gave Alfred a short bow. “Who or what may I bring you?” he asked automatically. His nose led him to take a better look at Francis and he blanched. “Bring Lilly for my friend here, would you?” Alfred said.

“Yes, Sir,” the waiter snapped out and disappeared behind a curtain.

“Please stay,” Francis said. “I won’t take long and we must finish our discussion.”

“If you’d like.” Lilly appeared in a few moments, a sturdy looking woman in her late thirties. Her hair was pinned up and her garment left her neck and arms exposed. “Sir?” she asked, looking between them. “Whom am I serving tonight?”

“My guest,” Alfred answered. She turned to Francis who held out his hand for her.

“Take the chair if you would,” Francis said. “I’ll stand behind you. You are no doubt accustomed to us?” She nodded. He hadn’t given his name and she did not dare ask for it. For the boss to remain and for him to hand her over so easily to his guest, she surmised she was in the presence of someone important. Francis ran his fingertips expertly over her arms and throat, noting prior entry points, all well healed. She would wear long sleeves and high collars outside the Club. She was no novice. He expected as much in this kind of establishment. Alfred would serve only the best. He picked his place and pierced her.

Lilly gasped, but after a moment, she felt the expected surge of pleasure. It usually came at the expense of a lassitude that left her unable to work here again for a third of the month. She had learned how to take care of her health, what to eat and how best to replenish her blood. She drank no coffee or other diuretics. Working for Sir Alfred was worth it. She had college funds to build for her children, having been widowed a few years prior. She also knew how to keep her mouth shut. It was an unspoken but well-known truth that anyone who thought about exposing the Club for what it was would not last long. She had children to protect and support. Speaking of the Club to the outside world was unthinkable.

It was difficult to keep her mind calm. The strange vampire’s mouth on her throat was too intense, the pleasure difficult to override. She must be careful to not make any overture or personal statement beyond what was polite. The stranger pulled away to look her over, then leaned in once more to lick away what was left. No waste, Lilly thought. When he was done, she made an effort to stand and found she was able to do so on the first attempt. “Thank you, Lilly,” said the stranger, still behind her. She did not get a good look at his face except when she entered the room. It was just as well.

“You’re welcome, Sir,” she replied. She walked quite steadily to the Freshie bar for a long drink of carrot/apple juice and a protein bar. She would rest for a while on one of the cots in the back before she drove home.

“You fed lightly,” Alfred remarked when she was gone.

“I had a hearty breakfast,” Francis admitted, wiping the corners of his mouth on a soft paper napkin set in a crystal holder on the table. He deposited it in a small wastebasket under the table and gave a satisfied smile. With fangs retracted, his teeth were small, even and white. “She was good though. Keep her around as long as she’s willing to stay. I’m glad you have older women who have gained a few pounds on your payroll. I never understood the fetish for the slender, supermodel type. They’d fall over at a decent breeze. How are they supposed to feed us?”

Alfred shrugged. “My clients have different tastes. Therefore, so do the Freshies. Feeding aside, let me guess about your favor,” Alfred said. “You found your brother again. Is he a man or a woman this time?”

“You know me well, Alfred,” Francis said. “A man. I’m putting you in charge of his protection while I’m away. His name is Sam Birchtree and he lives in the Village. He and I are planning an entertainment for my farewell tea. It will be held at the Romanian Embassy the day after tomorrow. Sam is a drummer. You’ll also recognize him by his Mohawk features - no scalp lock,” he added in response to Alfred’s raised eyebrow. “He wears his hair long and free. He doesn’t know he’s my twin brother. I don’t want to tell him yet, although he does know what I am. Are there any community leaders here?”

“Right now?” Francis gave him a quick nod. “Yes, a few. I’ll have them come over.”

There were three. From their scent, none was younger than 500 years, but none were older than Alfred. When they were assembled, Francis told them he was inviting them to an entertainment, where and when. “None of you should have trouble with daylight by now.” They agreed. “I have a human friend called Sam Birchtree. He’s not a Freshie and not yet a lover by most people’s definition. All you need to know is that I want him safe from any blood drinker in this city and state. Anyone who approaches him is answerable to Alfred. Anyone who defies Alfred and tries to take a taste of him is answerable to me. I want the word passed about. Not a fang, not a drop. Is that completely understood?”

“Who are you?” asked one, not quite defiantly but not humbly either. “He’s not part of our community. Who is he to give orders to us?” The others looked at the speaker uncertainly. Before Alfred could reply, Francis was around the table and had the questioner in a headlock. The younger vampire tried, but he could not escape Francis’ grip. He was 900 years old. When he stopped struggling, Francis let him go. “I meant no disrespect, Elder,” he said, finding it difficult to speak. Francis returned to his chair.

Alfred said, “Francis Radu is a special envoy to the United Nations from Romania’s President. He was born there more than 4000 years ago.” It was well known that ancient Romania was the birthplace of their kind. “He is my Sire. I suggest you follow his orders. Spread the word. If you even think of touching Sam Birchtree, at best you won’t live in New York again. If you do touch him, you won’t be living anywhere. We have ways to assure ourselves of your compliance.”

Francis nodded pleasantly to the three. “The blood-drinker mafia? Perhaps that may work in my favor.” It seemed the past moment had been set aside, if not forgotten. “As Alfred told you, my current name is Francis Radu. As for why you have not heard it before, it is because I chose to live my life among humans. Life is simpler that way and I prefer it. I seldom involve myself in blood drinker affairs or politics. Be glad that I don’t.” There were nods around the room. No vampire was likely to be older or stronger and no one wanted to make an enemy of him.

“The reason I’m making an exception and presenting myself to you now is to invite you to the party I mentioned. I want you to meet my friend Sam. After greeting him, you will keep your distance. I expect you to memorize his face and his scent. Spread the word to your underlings that Sam Birchtree is off limits.” He gazed at each of them in turn until each man lowered his head in acquiescence.

“Is there anything else?” Alfred asked after no one had spoken for several moments.

“No. They may go.” The others got up and left. They had been as formally dismissed as they would have been in a royal court. Before departing, each gave Francis a small, respectful bow to which he lowered his chin slightly. If vampires had kings, Francis would have been theirs. If they went back far enough, all members of the blood-drinking nation were probably his descendants.

“We’re lucky you don’t want to mix into vampire politics,” Alfred said. “Not that you couldn’t hold your own, but it can get unpleasant.”

“I prefer my life to run smoothly,” Francis replied. “There were few of us in the old days. We made some good memories together after I brought you over. The tenth and eleventh were exciting centuries. We’re lucky we survived.” Francis spread his fingers as if counting them off mentally. “You have my thanks for this favor. Thank you as well for Lilly. Please establish a tab at the Club for me. Take my card.” He handed it over. “Send my future bills to the embassy and they will be taken care of. I won’t always have cash on my person and direct checks may be traceable. When I visit New York, as I will every six months for the foreseeable future, I don’t want to rely too heavily on my brother. He’s accepted me, but I’m sure you understand my necessity of going elsewhere for nourishment. I’ll see you at the Romanian Embassy with your associates on Tuesday. Will there be only the four of you?”

“There may be another two, one of them a woman. She’ll have to fly in from Albany upstate and he lives in the Hamptons, on the further end of Long Island. We have members of the Tribe all over the state. Those two are leaders as well as the three you just met. They will want to see you with their own eyes. I look forward to saying hello to your brother.”

“He’ll suppose you are from the embassy. Not a word about whom you really are.”

“Not a word.”

“Great, Alfred. I know I can count on you.” Francis embraced his Childe before he left the Club.

There was Romanian wine from the best vintners of the country and pleasant conversation. Small sandwiches and petit fours decorated layered gold trays. Francis had been able to make sure there would be no silver where his blood-drinking associates would come into contact with it, even if they were unlikely to sample the food. The cake was decorated in the colors of Romania’s flag – blue, yellow and red – white lettering spelling out Goodbye, Francis. After the speeches, the cake was cut. Francis took the first piece in front of his countrymen. He swallowed several pieces after chewing them thoroughly. Sam noticed that he excused himself shortly afterward.

Although Francis kept his thoughts in Romanian, Sam could guess that the cake would not stay in his friend’s stomach for long. He might not be able to pick up words, but Francis’s feelings were clear. He was back in time for the toast to his good health and return to them. He was able to keep the wine down.

People took their seats for the entertainment. Francis played the National Anthem of his country followed by the Star Spangled Banner. Everyone stood respectfully for both. Then he introduced the band. “This is my dear friend, Sam Birchtree and his band members Randy, Jason and Jeremy. What do you call your band, Sam?”

Sam smiled widely when he turned to face Lorraine Gordon, the embassy’s special guest and owner of the Vanguard. “We aren’t official yet, but for this, our first engagement, I’m calling us The Mohawk Beat.” He turned to his friends. “Are you ready?” When they responded, he sat down behind his drums and picked up his sticks. His water drum lay on a special mat at his feet. They had prepared to play the best of what Sam and his friends had composed, expanded to give each member the opportunity to shine.

The applause was sustained after one of the songs, giving Jeremy a chance to whisper to Sam. “When you said your friend needed you for a special gig, you weren’t kidding.” He, Jason and Randy had been elated at the prospect of entertaining Francis’s associates at the embassy. The money wasn’t bad, but to be able to showcase their talent to this extent in front of Lorraine Gordon - that was the chance of a lifetime.

No one remarked at Francis’s extra friends who played special attention to the band’s drummer and leader. Sam brought their performance to an end with a song of friendship and farewell to Francis. When it was nearly over, he brought up his special drum and tapped out a Mohawk rhythm of luck and love with his drumsticks. “Until we’re together again,” said the last of the words.

Francis wiped tears from his eyes, gazing at Sam with a longing only one other in the room would understand. From his section, sitting with his associates, Alfred smiled and nodded at their exchange. He understood what had passed between Francis and Sam. Sam didn’t know precisely what Francis was to him yet, but the young man had certainly made his brother, and Alfred’s sire, very happy.
Last edited by Penina Spinka on Mon May 03, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read Sam stories by Penina My index: http://www.moonlightaholics.com/viewforum.php?f=560
AggieVamp
Rogue vampire

Re: Finding Sam - conclusion

Post by AggieVamp »

Penina -

I just read the whole story of how Sam & Francis met and I would LOVE to read more about Francis (and Sam too). Francis is very fascinating - and I would be very curious as to how he was turned.

Karen
Banner by HotMicks

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional - and I Opt NOT to Grow Up!
:petcat: :petcat:
Penina Spinka
Freelance freshie

Re: Finding Sam - conclusion

Post by Penina Spinka »

Dear Karen,
Thank you for reading and sending me your comments. I haven't posted on MLA for a while because I was not getting enough feedback. I've written several more Sam & Radu stories since Possibly Sam. I will post them now. Please send your thoughts on them. This last one NEW DAY, is a fan fiction, but the one after it BECOMING, is not since it took place when Sam and Francis were alive the first time, far in the past. Please continue checking for my stories and offer any thoughts you may have on them. I will be grateful. Best wishes, Penina
Read Sam stories by Penina My index: http://www.moonlightaholics.com/viewforum.php?f=560

Return to “Penina Spinka's Office”