A place for Penina Spinka's G to PG-13 stories
Penina Spinka
Freelance freshie

NEW DAY (PG-13) - Chapter 6

Post by Penina Spinka »

New Day (PG-13)

A Sam and Francis Story

Chapter 6

If Ishtar’s high priestess would sail with me, no door of exploration would be shut to my prying, for I had to solve the mystery of the silver and learn what the designs meant. The many who purchased the ornaments meant that if some spell had been cast upon the wearers, they might already be caught in their mysterious net.

It was three hours before midnight when I entered Ishtar’s sanctuary where the priestesses slept. I heard some of them up and about when I made my presence known to the guards. “Please announce me to the high priestesses,” I told the nearest guard. Fortunately, he recognized me in my official capacity and assumed I was there to treat her or one of the others.

Lady Undassa came to the receiving room and bowed her head. I did the same to her, as high priestesses above all others in service to the Divine Mother. “Radu?” she asked with some concern. “Are you here for the health of one of my women?”

With my lips near her ear, I spoke softly enough that the guard standing by the door could not hear me. “We must speak in private. Do you have a room where we can discuss my concerns?” She led me to a small chamber off the main hall. No one else was within reach of our conversation or I would have heard a second heartbeat. When we were alone, I asked her if she or any of her women had purchased a silver bracelet or armlet from the Ninevan trader.

“Quite a few have,” she said. “I have not. Why? Is there a problem?”

“I fear they are charmed, and those who wear them may suffer ill effects.” I paused to let my words sink in. “They are inscribed with representations of foreign deities. Also, there seems to be a form of writing upon them. If someone is trying to cast a spell on the powerful of Babylon, such influence may have already begun here in Ishtar’s House and in the soldiers’ quarters. For the safety of our city and empire, I am compelled to investigate. I plan to sail to Nineveh tomorrow at dusk with the trader Miceas. Your help in Nineveh’s House of Ishtar may be invaluable. Come with me.”

“Leave my charges?”

“It’s not a thing I ask lightly. You have underlings, as do I. They can take our place for the duration of our sojourn. Nothing is more important than the well being of our king and Babylonia, the highest of civilized nations. We live under a code of law devised by the Great Hammurabi. If I didn’t feel so strong a threat coming out of the north, I would not have disturbed your evening. If anyone means us harm, I need information. I suspect the trader Miceas hasn’t been entrusted with all the details, and there may more about those armlets than he will say. I want to speak to Nineveh’s Magi about them. If they know about a plot and are false with me, I’ll know it.”

She nodded, believing I had ways to learn the truth. She also knew I would not be so concerned on a whim. “What can I do?” she asked.

“Observe what goes on in Nineveh’s House of Ishtar and report to me. No one will question the right of Babylon’s high priestess to see how Ishtar is worshipped in one of our subsidiary cities.” After the king, the prime minister, and perhaps myself, she was the most important dignitary in Babylon. In the end, she agreed.

“We must travel light, and if necessary, escape. I will arrange our transportation. Bring no slaves,” I cautioned her. “Even well-meaning slaves harbor some resentment for their situation and will compromise our mission.” She looked as though she would like to disagree, but refrained. “Wear a cloak which will do for a blanket at night. Sailors live on barley bread, fish and water. Bring dates, raisins and almonds to supplement that. I will take care of my own requirements.”

“There is one I would take, not a slave,” she said. “Priestess Serali. People forget themselves in her presence and tend to say more than they might otherwise. She forgets nothing and has my complete confidence. I trust you have no objection?”

I took care to stay in the shadows when I smiled, wondering how much she knew of my special love for that maid in particular. “I have no objection. If the king gives us permission, we sail on the Silver Moon tomorrow at dusk. I will send you a message. If he approves of my plan, expect me an hour after the midday sleep. Be ready.”

I left the temple district for a lower part of town, near the harbor. Lamps still burned in beer and wine houses, visible through closed shutters. I was not interested in beer and wine. It might be difficult for me to feed aboard ship. I found a young sailor wandering unsteadily along a dark street and smelled the wine on his breath from the darker shadow of a doorway. “You seem lost,” I said, stepping before him and blocking his way.

He pulled out a knife and waved it. “I have nothing to steal,” he said.

Don’t you? I thought. “You misunderstand,” I said. “Put away your weapon. Tell me where you are staying and I’ll bring you home safely.”

“Why?” he asked.

“I like sailors,” I said. “The hostel where you sleep? Where is it?” He told me and then allowed me to put an arm around his shoulder as though to support him. He might think he was going to get lucky and that I would pay him for his services. He never saw my face before my teeth pierced a fold in his neck.

When I was done with him, I carried him to the hostel. A harbor guard who could not see either of us well, came closer.

“Trouble, sir?” he asked. He could tell I was well dressed by the cut of my robe.

“Only a drunk sailor. He seems to have fainted. Open the door for me, and I’ll lay him on the floor. I pity him if his captain finds him too far gone to sail tomorrow.”

“Kind of you,” the guard muttered and helped me bring my burden inside.

Halfway between midnight and dawn, I visited Serali. I stretched out beside her and whispered her name. She started up in some fear, but then turned to me. “Radu?” she questioned. Then she sighed. “I was dreaming about you and here you are.

“I can’t stay long, love,” I said. “If my plan works out, you, I and Mother Undassa are going on a voyage tomorrow.” She waited for me to say more. “Did you buy one of those silver bracelets the trader Miceas was selling in the marketplace?”

“I did. It’s in my private chest. Do you want it?”

“No. I can’t touch it. It might be a secret weapon to search out those of my brotherhood, but it makes me suspect there is danger for us brewing in Nineveh. That is where we are going, if the king gives permission. You might be able to help me ferret it out. Bring the bracelet and wear it, but not when I am with you. I want to know if it makes you feel different. It could be a clue. Talk to Miceas and gain his confidence. See if he will tell you more than he told me about who made the inscriptions and designs on the ornaments and why. Listen to rumors and gossip. Report everything you learn to me.”

“I will. Must you go so soon? It might be a long while before you can be alone with me again.” With my sweet girl in my arms, I discovered I still had an appetite for what she wanted, and also for what I wanted.

“Tomorrow,” I promised, “I will see you again, but I must go back to being simply your old doctor and friend. No one can know there is anything between us.” She nodded and closed her eyes. Our lovemaking understandably tired her. I kissed her eyelids and slipped from her chamber to the precious sounds of her heartbeat and breathing. Whatever was to come, I was fortified.

The next morning, I was first on line to seek audience with the king. High King Marduk’s personal guards searched me for hidden weapons as they did with everyone. When I was ushered in, King Marduk sat regally on his throne. He held out his scepter to me. I touched the enormous ruby at the end to my forehead, and then prostrated myself on the rug before the throne, touching my head to the floor. I unfolded my body and met the king’s eyes. “Majesty,” I said. “We must speak alone.”

Unlike High Priestess Undassa, Marduk motioned for his guards to remove the others from the room. “I’ve never seen you so early in the day before, Radu,” he said. “This must be serious. You have my attention. Speak.” Even though I had been searched, it was a sign of his trust in me that he would allow me to be private with him.

“I fear for you and the empire,” I said.

His eyes opened wider and he looked to the door to be sure his guards were close enough to call. They held their curved bronze swords unsheathed, ready to plunge into anyone who threatened the king. “Why?” If I hadn’t tied my life so closely to this empire, the forces of the high king would have meant nothing to me. I could easily outpace or outfight anyone or any ten in the empire, probably more. Despite Marduk’s human flaws, he was the best monarch to lead his empire since Hammurabi. I had sworn to protect him and Babylon, and I meant to do so.

“Through secret arts entrusted to me, I’ve seen a threat emanating from Nineveh. I believe there are magicians there and they are hatching plots. Have I your permission to leave Babylon and do what I can to protect your interests?”

Marduk did not manage to live to the good age of 45 without possessing a clever mind. He knew how to look after his interests. “Before I say yes or no, what led you to this conclusion?” he asked.

“A Ninevan trader. He has what I think are charms incised on ornaments. He’s been selling them for less than what they are worth. I don’t trust in his innocence, but if you order his arrest here, I fear we won’t learn enough. Yes, torture may loosen his tongue, but you won’t be able to trust what he will say. He may fear to tell the truth so it must be pried from him by more devious means. Give me permission to go with him to Nineveh. Others in my school of medicine will treat you until I’m home again. I’ll leave directions for the highest there to attend you and the court. If I’m right, I will thwart the danger. If not, I will report back to you with my findings.”

He trusted me. “Take my signet ring. With its authority, you’ll be able to command what forces you need to succeed on my behalf.” He removed the ring from his forefinger and placed it on mine. “What do you need?”

I had the answer ready in my head and had only to speak it. “The help of Lady Undassah and one of her priestesses, a letter of credit, and total authority to carry out my work.”

# #

I showed the riverboat captain the high king’s gold signet ring with his seal embossed upon it. King Marduk-Nadin-Akhe was emperor of all Babylonia, not only the capitol. Nineveh was the first province to be colonized when we wrested control over its lands from Assyria. “No charge for the king’s envoy,” he said, trying to maintain composure in my presence.

“I have every intention of paying for the transport of myself and two priestesses from the House of Ishtar,” I said. “Here is a letter of credit with the King’s seal. You will be handed 400 dinars from the King’s Treasury on our safe arrival. The Royal Treasurer knows me, so no substitution will work.” I couldn’t let him think I was unaware of how travelers might fall into the trap of the unscrupulous.

He ducked as though he feared a blow. “I’m an honorable man,” he protested.

“Of course you are. Nineveh is well known for its honor.” I wanted him to know I understood deceit and the tricks that could be played on the unwary stranger. Nineveh might not care for visitors, but they had a strong sense of survival. It would not do to make Marduk-Nadin-Akhe angry.

“Put up a tent with a closing curtain, tacked down on the deck. My ladies’ modesty must be protected from the eyes of your sailors. And they will need soft cushions to rest on.”

“As you wish, Excellency. I will have the sleeping tent ready when you come aboard.” We discussed food. I told him my ladies would want some of his barley bread and river catch, but would bring their own food as well. “We leave at dusk when the wind changes direction. We will sail all night, all day, the next night and part of the second morning. I hope neither you nor your ladies suffers from water travel sickness.” I told him to have no fear. I would bring supplies to settle their stomachs.

“Will your excellency require me to bring you back to Babylon again?” he asked. From his tone, I knew he had no inclination to spend more time in my presence than was necessary.

“I don’t know how long my business with certain citizens of Nineveh will take. I’ll make arrangements when I’m ready, or we will return with a caravan. We will come to the Silver Moon an hour before dusk. Be waiting for us. Remember, we sail on King Marduk’s business.”

He bowed. “I’m at your command.”

“Yes. You are.” As I passed him, I felt revulsion in his thoughts. Whether it was at bringing women aboard his ship or that he had felt something of my nature, I could not tell, but that was his problem, not mine.
Read Sam stories by Penina My index: http://www.moonlightaholics.com/viewforum.php?f=560

Return to “Penina Spinka's Office”