New Day - Chapter 16 - PG-13

A place for Penina Spinka's G to PG-13 stories
Penina Spinka
Freelance freshie

New Day - Chapter 16 - PG-13

Post by Penina Spinka »

As always, this novel does not infringe on WB's or anyone's copyright. It is based on Moonlight's version of vampires, but long before WB or anyone connected to Moonlight. Please read and review. Your words are precious, as Smeegle Golem would say.

New Day (3033)

Chapter 16

High Priestess Undassa stayed in Nineveh. Serali told me afterward how that conversation went, and others. I’m telling you this as if it were a seamless manuscript; so don’t wonder how I heard people speak when I was not present.

Serali told the older woman that returning to Babylon with me would be dangerous. “If the Persians find us, they will kill us. The desert on a speeding camel is no place for a high priestess accustomed to every comfort and unused to hardship,” she said.

“But you are going,” Undassa pointed out. “Why can’t you wait here with me?”

“I must go. Radu needs me.” She would say no more about it. Undassa allowed herself to be convinced and stayed behind.

Esok, Serali and Miceas knew enough about me that I didn’t have to watch my words with them. We traveled at night, resting a few hours each morning at daybreak – for me to avoid the worst of the early sun and for all of us to get some sleep. The stars and a quarter-moon lit our way through the wilderness as we traveled south to Babylon. I led on my camel mare, followed by Miceas with Serali before him on the saddle. Esok held up the rear of our tiny caravan. Ropes linked our mounts.

We kept far from the Tigris during daylight lest we be seen and challenged. I guessed, and it turned out to be true, that the Persians transported chariots and horses aboard riverboats. The ships would certainly beat us to Babylon, but they would have to wait for the infantry to catch up before they attacked. Camels can run faster than horses, but the race was between camels on foot and horses on ships. I intended to get there first once I made sure my companions would be safe.

Just before dawn, I fed and watered our mounts. Esok huddled in his wrap against the desert coolness, in the lee of a boulder. Serali and Miceas slept under both their robes against the back of their camel. I tried not to let their closeness vex me. Miceas loved Serali and could give her a family. I had only one year with her, and even then, I had to share her with Ishtar’s worshippers. I dug myself a trench before daybreak to take shelter from the rising sun. I needed privacy to sulk and, more necessary, to sleep.

Before I left my companions for the city, I decided they would need more water. The camels would have trudged on, but not at top speed. While I was at the river, I could count the riverboats and estimate what forces Marduk’s troops would have to face.

Around dusk on the second day, I called a halt. The camels kneeled for us to dismount, turned to their sides and closed their eyes, taking advantage of any pause to rest. “Why are we stopping?” asked Miceas. “We can go farther tonight.”

“You will. We’re pausing for me to give you instructions. Tie my camel to the back of Esok’s mount. Keep the North Star behind you. Go as far as you can while I’m gone, but keep out of sight of the river. I’ll join you before daybreak. Even if it gets cold, do not light a fire.” They had brought almonds and raisins for food so a cooking fire was unnecessary. I didn’t want them to attract attention.

“How will you find us?” Miceas began to ask, but I had begun, running at full speed. He could no longer see me by the time he finished asking the question.

“How does he do that?” Esok asked Serali.

“I don’t know,” she admitted. “He told me that when he was sworn to his gods, they changed him. They increased his senses. They also gave him more than human strength and speed with which to protect his people. His people are gone now. We are fortunate he chose us to look after in their place. Don’t be surprised at anything he does. Let us get on our way.” She clucked to the camels to tell them to rise. Their rest had been brief, but they would soon have more water.

During the first part of the night, Serali and Esok slept while Miceas led the line. Serali sat in front of him as before, even though my camel was unburdened. Later, Esok led the line so Miceas could close his eyes while their mounts carried them further south.

I ran eastward until I found the barbarian Persians camped beside the river. There were too many of them to count, several thousand. It would be a sizeable attack. They had a few horses with them and about ten camels, but there might have been more. I noticed three wagons pulled by oxen. They slept in their traces ready to pull again at daybreak. The wagons held parts of a wooden tower. Piled together, the tower would be higher than the walls. It was a frightening sight.

I followed the river south in the dark until I saw the Persian ships. They were already halfway to Babylon. I filled the water-skin and drank some myself. My primary thirst was not for water, but it was better than nothing. Blood is largely water. I counted thirty ships and stopped counting. They sat low in the water from the weight of horses and chariots, battering rams and ladders. As I suspected, they had sailed through the night and were still moving.

I sprinted inland and sniffed the air for our camels. There were streaks of red in the east when I saw them and had to put on a final burst of speed to get there before daybreak. Miceas and Esok had just finished feeding the camels and were about to sleep when I walked into their sight. I had pushed myself hard and was ready to collapse. Miceas blew out a long breath. “You’re back, Radu.”

“Yes. The water skin is full. Give some to the camels. The ships are ahead of us. I’ll have to rest now and then, I must leave you to warn King Marduk.” I’d drunk more water, but I hadn’t consumed any blood since the day Sulil died, two days previously. As old as I was, I would survive, but I was near the end of my reserves of strength and speed. My first thought was to ask Esok if he would let me take some of his blood. Considering how many times he reminded me that I was kind, I hoped he would be kind in return. Feeding me was not something I would demand from a servant, but I could request it. In spite of the boy’s presumption, maybe because of it, I liked him. There was always my camel if he if refused. After the water, she could spare a pint of blood more easily than a human, but I hoped it would not be necessary.

Before my people slept, I spoke to them, not about my needs, but about how I must leave them. “If you find me gone when you awake, remember to stay far from the river. There are too many soldiers and lookouts. After I warn the king and do what I can to heal the injured, I’ll look for you in the Oasis of the Seven Palms. I must sleep now.”

I dug myself a narrow trench for shade and coolness, then covered the opening with my robe to block the sun. Sleep came instantly. I don’t know how long I was unconscious when I stirred to the scent of Serali, and the feel of her warm lips on my cheek. “What are you doing here?” I asked. I spoke more harshly than I intended. She had promised herself to Miceas. It was maddening to have her this close if I could not have her.

“You’ve had no blood since the day we broke into your tomb,” she said.

“What about your betrothed? Does he know where you are?”

“Yes.” She pushed down on my shoulders. “Miceas knows you need blood. I do love him, Radu, but you are my first and dearest. Miceas understands. If he did not, I would not stay with him.” Her words lifted my spirits, but instead of offering what I needed, her eyes narrowed. I knew that look. She wanted answers as much as I wanted blood. “In the crypt in Nineveh, you told Miceas mind-to-mind that you are my elder brother. You said the same to me. I was my parents’ second child. The first was my sister, not you. They are too young to have a son your age. Explain what you meant.”

“Beloved,” I sighed. “I’m older than I seem, but you’re right. They are far too young to be my parents. They died more than a thousand years ago. You have lived other lives. But in your first, I really was your older brother. We were twins, but I was first-born.”

Serali looked into my face as if to judge the truth or absurdity of my words, but in the dark, she could not see me. She drew gentle fingers over my closed eyes, my cheeks and neck, trying to see me by touch. She pressed her body against mine. Aside from her robe which now covered us both, she was naked. It did not take eyes for her to know how much I wanted her, but she was not through with her questions. “I lived before this life? How is that possible? Can it really be?”

I sighed. “It can. We came into the world at the same birthing in a far country. Because I was firstborn, my fate and yours were set. You were to live out your life, and I was to become your advisor and protector. You lived before now and you will live again. Our souls will always know each other and feel most complete when we are together. I will love you and protect you as best I can forever.”

She stopped to think about what I told her. I don’t know if she accepted that she had lived before, but she focused on one point. “You say we were twins? We were sister and brother? But you called me ‘brother.’”

Serali never forgot anything. Sometimes, it would be easier if she would. I did not want to tell her she died the doomed king of a lost kingdom a thousand years ago. In the little time we had, I could not tell her she had lived more than twenty lives, sometimes as a man and sometimes a woman, each with different human parents. It might frighten her to know that I lived on from that first time, in the same body, and I would as long as the earth supported life. How could I tell her I loved her in all her lives, but gave her up when she found a suitable mate? I did not want to remind her that she must die. I wished I could tell Serali that I would find her in her next lives and make her mine once more if I could, even if only for a little while. She was too young to accept so much. Someday when she was older, I would tell her all of this, but not now.

“I will explain everything when I can. Please, Serali. Trust me to have your good in mind. It is so hard to tell you no. I beg you not to ask me again.”

Men say women are the more curious sex. With you, it was even. You had to try to find answers. “Just one more question. Why do you remember this when I don’t?”

“No more questions, dearest. We’re running out of time. Since Miceas won’t deny me your company, he is a good man and worthy of you. Your safety and happiness are what I live for, but you know above all others what I need.”

“That’s why I’m here.” She covered my lips with hers. Her lips tasted like the nectar of night-blooming jasmine to me. Her breasts were full, soft and smooth as rose-petals. They pressed against my chest as my arms wrapped around her. The memory of her freely given blood and the love of her soul would sustain me when we were apart. For now, she was ready for me, desiring only me. What we had together wasn’t enough to fill her life, but it was enough to fill mine. That was the last time I made love to my precious Serali, and the last time we discussed our special bond until after Miceas died many years later.

With a final kiss, I promised to bring her to safety, along with Miceas and Esok. If I couldn’t make Babylon safe for her to raise her family, I would be foresworn. I don’t know if my adopted country and king would have generated such effort on my part, but nothing was more important to me than making Serali safe and happy.

Haggai had given me new garb before I left the treasury. Wrapped in my dun-colored robes with my long scarf covering my nose and mouth from the blowing sand, I sprinted more swiftly than the camels. I rested in the shade of dunes when I could. The sun would have weakened me more had it not been for the sustenance Serali provided. Stretched out flat on a rise, I peered at the river. The ships were far behind me now. Babylon would have most of a day until the Persian army caught up to their steeds and chariots, brought south on the ships, enough time to muster Marduk’s defenses.

When I reached the road to the gate in the high walls of Babylon, I slowed. The guards were unaware of the danger descending upon them from the north. One challenged me and asked me my business. Another chided him. “Don’t you recognize Lord Radu, the king’s physician,” he asked. “Stand aside and let him in.”

I did not stop at my house to bathe and don clean robes. I looked like a desert nomad and stunk from riding my camel, but there was no time. I entered the palace and asked the palace guards to announce me.

“He is in his bath. I don’t interrupt the king when he’s in his bath.”

“We are about to be attacked by a great army. King Marduk will forgive you for disturbing him,” I said bluntly, turning my hand. “Tell the king Physician Radu traveled day and night to come to him, or I will tell him myself. This is his signet ring. By its authority, I command you to do as I say.” The guard hurried away.

King Marduk came to me wrapped in a towel. “Radu!” he exclaimed. “You smell like a sweaty camel.” I wanted to say it was good to see him too, but I held my tongue. “What is this about an attack?”

“Majesty.” I began the prostration, but he took my hands and lifted me up. “Ships will arrive first carrying our enemy’s chariots and horses. They will stay just out of sight of the City. If you can seize the ship-riders while they await the foot soldiers, we can claim the chariots and the horses. The barbarians will have to fight your forces on foot. As I suspected, the bracelets and armlets were cursed. They must be removed from your citizens’ arms and the curse melted from the metal. If not, their influence will keep your men hostage to the Persian and the Syrian gods. It will stop them from fighting for you. In the name of the gods who care for Babylon, gather your officers so I can them tell what they must do.”

Marduk called over his personal guards. Thick-shouldered men with muscled arms and legs rushed to his side. “Get me my thick leather armor and my helmet,” he told one. “Prepare my chariot and my weapons. We are riding to war,” he said to the second. To the third, he said, “Have my officers meet me in my throne room in an hour in their armor. Tell them they must have their horses, chariots and rations ready. There is no time to lose.” He already looked younger and stronger. This was the King Marduk I knew of yore. “You will address them, Radu, and tell them what you know. You will help me plan our strategy. Keep my ring to command my troops if I fall. You’re second in authority after me.”

“Majesty,” I said, elated at his confidence and trust. “You will not fall. I’ll ride by your side in your war chariot and protect you.”

He shook his head. “My old friend, you are wise and have fought many battles, but this time I need your wisdom more than your spear arm. I know you use dyes and ointments to make yourself appear younger, but you must be at least 50. A battle is no place for you. Now, bathe. Use my tub. You’re going to address my officers. I’ll have my slaves bring you something appropriate to wear.

# #

“You won and King Marduk didn’t die,” Sam said. “It was nearly four hundred years more before Persia and the Medes conquered Babylon.”

Francis turned to him. “You’ve been doing research on your computer again. You could have had a first person report.”

Sam leaned on his elbow to stare down at Francis. “I still can. You have all day tomorrow to tell me the rest of the story. Tonight, I want to be awake enough to tell you goodbye properly. The war can wait.”

“Yes. I suppose it can.” Francis smiled and reached for Sam to bring him closer. He stroked Sam’s silky hair and shoulders with his cool hand while he considered what to do next. “I don’t want to weaken you. Between me, Josef and Mick, you’ve given up too much blood this week,” he whispered, “but…”

“There are ways around that. This will be the last time until we’re together again.” Sam was no longer confused about his sexuality. He was heterosexual, but he would always be drawn to those he had loved before, like Mick. He and Francis had loved each other from the womb. He had never shared his bed with a man before, but this was Francis. “First and dearest,” he repeated, “just like Serali said.”. Sam’s heart rate increased in anticipation of having the rest of the night with Francis, awake and full of ardor. They were connected. He would feel whatever Francis felt. “Don’t deny me, my brother.”

“I have no intension of denying you,” Francis said. He reached for his silver dagger, the same one he lent to Josef a few nights previous. He made a small cut above his heart. Sam knew what he was doing and why he was doing it. Only a silver blade could keep his wound open long enough. During the next few hours, Francis’s blood would make Sam nearly his brother’s equal in strength and endurance. “Come to me.”

In moments, the pain of the silver was nearly forgotten. It had been replaced by the ecstasy of Sam’s mouth as they shared the essence of all they were to each other.
Read Sam stories by Penina My index: http://www.moonlightaholics.com/viewforum.php?f=560

Return to “Penina Spinka's Office”