The Other Side of the Mirror - part 4 (PG)

A place for Shadow's G to PG-13 stories
Shadow
Courtesan

The Other Side of the Mirror - part 4 (PG)

Post by Shadow »

Disclaimer: Moonlight is not mine and no copyright infringement is intended.

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MIRROR
part four

Time passed without Rose’s notice. It was three in the morning and the hospital was quiet; she was left alone with her thoughts. It was a nightmare for me, Mick had said; he hadn’t wanted this fate any more than he’d wanted to go to war, and he’d had far less chance to escape it. He had tried to stay away from Rose, to protect her, but he’d failed. He’d come through her window and had flung her to the floor; he’d bitten her, he’d punctured her throat. Rose shuddered. He had come very close to killing her.

But he had not done so. He must have been the one who’d unlocked the front door and called the ambulance. She remembered how desperately he’d held her, how he’d talked to her; Rosie, I’m sorry, over and over, his voice breaking, and he had still been a vampire then.

He was human now. How had that happened? It could not have come about very long ago, since he looked no older than he had in 1952. He must have longed to be human again, wished and hoped for it all these long years. But she remembered something else he’d said, when he hadn’t known she was listening: I’d give up being human in a heartbeat, to keep Rosie from being hurt. Everything else she’d heard in this room flooded through her memory, and she put her hands to her head. He was still Mick, and he loved her, and she’d looked at him as if he were a monster. Oh, Mick, I told you I could handle it. And I didn’t.

“Rose?”

It was Beth, halfway through the door and looking very hesitant.

“Is it all right if I come in?”

Rose nodded.

Beth crossed to the chair, moved it away from the bed, and sat down. “I’m sorry,” she said.

“Sorry? But - what for?” Rose was the one who had treated Beth so horribly, slapping her and driving her out of the house.

“I shouldn’t have told you.”

Rose shook her head. “I asked for the truth.”

“I still shouldn’t have told you. This has hurt both of you so much, and it nearly got you killed.”

“That was my own doing.” Rose had gotten herself into the situation in the alley just as surely as she’d gotten herself pregnant; she’d been reckless and careless, and there had been consequences. “Beth – have you seen Mick?”

“Yes.”

“Is he all right?”

Beth looked down and didn’t answer. Instead she said, “Mick would never tell you this. He feels so guilty, he’d never try to excuse himself. But you should know. When vampires are first turned, they can’t control what they do. When Mick went to your house that night, he didn’t even know what was happening, not until it was over. When he realized he was in your room, when he saw you lying there, it nearly destroyed him.”

Rose closed her eyes. “But he stayed with me,” she whispered. “It was real. It wasn’t a dream at all.”

“No. It wasn’t.” Beth hesitated, then said, “I know what it feels like, to find out something like this. I know how overwhelming it is. I want to help, if I can. To answer any questions you have.”

A few minutes ago Rose had had a hundred questions. But none of them really mattered, not now. There was only one thing she needed to know.

Beth pushed the roof door open, and a cold fresh breeze blew through, wonderfully welcome after the stale air of the hospital room. Rose stepped out on the roof, Beth’s hand on her arm keeping her steady, and whispered, “Thank you.” Beth had helped her get the IV out, had helped her dress, and had half carried her up the flight of stairs to the roof access. Rose’s own weakness had startled her; she was used to walking two miles a day, up and down hills. Tonight, she was finding it hard work to cross a room.

“Will you be okay?” Beth asked.

“Yes. I don’t have to walk very far.”

Beth nodded, and turned around to go back down the stairs. Rose took a deep breath of the cold air, pulled her coat closer, and looked around. There were only a few dim lights on the roof, but she could see well enough; the rest of the city sparked and glowed around her. She saw Mick standing near the roof’s edge, silhouetted against the lights of the neighboring buildings.

Where is he? was the question she'd asked Beth, but maybe she hadn’t really needed to ask. Mick had always been drawn to the high places, to the rooftops, especially when he was troubled. How many times had she found him on the roof of his apartment building? When Ray Fordham had come home, when David Samuels had hung up on Mick’s calls, when the girlfriend before Coraline had left him. After Mick had disappeared, Rose had gone to the apartment’s roof many times, but she’d finally stopped. It was just too painful to never find him there.

Mick was looking out at the lights, at the rippling traffic on the freeway below, but she was sure he wasn’t really seeing them. She moved closer, she took a deep breath. A second chance. I never had one before. She called Mick’s name.

He turned, and even in the dim light she saw the joy on his face, that she had come to him. It was followed by dismay. “Rose, you shouldn’t be out here!” He hurried to her side and started to reach for her, but he pulled away at the last moment, not daring to touch her. It hurt to see his wariness, to know that she had caused it.

“I’m sorry,” she said.

He looked down. “Everything that happened was my fault.”

“I don’t think that’s true.”

Mick didn’t answer, and didn’t look up.

“I think it was a lot worse for you than it was for me,” Rose said. “You know what I remember about that night? I remember you being there holding me, and it was wonderful.”

“What I did was unforgivable.”

“Is that so?” Rose crossed her arms and frowned. “Well, I forgive you, so there.”

“It’s not so simple.” But Mick was looking at her now, and he was almost smiling.

“Yes, it is. And you know I always win these fights.” A gust of wind crossed the roof, blowing Mick’s hair back from his face and whipping his dark coat behind him. The fleury cross flashed for an instant, catching and reflecting the flare of the city lights. Rose reached out to touch the cross. “You’ve kept this for a long time.”

“I wore it every day,” he said quietly. “But never to remember Coraline. To remember you.” He reached out in turn, to touch the gold chain at her throat; his hand rested against the old scars, but it didn’t matter, not at all. Rose put her hand up to cover his.

He frowned suddenly. “You’re freezing.”

“Too true. Help me inside?”

He carried her instead, and she leaned against him, her arms around him, thinking of the memory that had never been a dream.

Rose stood in her bedroom, looking blankly out the window, the lights from the house next door mingling with her reflection in the glass. She shouldn’t have stayed home tonight; she should have gone with her parents to the concert hall. Not that she’d wanted to go, but maybe the music could have distracted her, taking her thoughts away, however briefly, from this endless sick spiral. Mick’s been missing for six months, there’s no trace or sign, and you know there isn’t any hope left. He probably died that first night. In the window, Rose’s reflection stared back at her with shocked, lost eyes, and her blue dress looked black, as if she were in mourning. She flinched away from the window and found herself in front of her dresser. There was another mirror above it, a real one this time, and she turned her face away from it, looking instead at the framed photographs on the top of her dresser. She picked up the one in the middle. Held in a silver frame was the very last picture she had of Mick, taken just before the wedding, just before he vanished. In it Rose was standing next to Mick in her borrowed dress, looking up at him and smiling, and he had his arm around her. They’d both been so happy, but it had only lasted for an instant. Tears filled her eyes, and when the window shattered behind her she saw only a blur of movement in the mirror, so fast she couldn’t tell what it was. She started to turn, but something slammed into her, sending her crashing against the dresser. Her head struck its corner and then she was falling, but she never felt herself hit the ground, and out of the darkness she heard Mick’s voice calling her name. She felt his arms around her, holding her the way he’d held her when she was small, but his voice was broken and full of pain. I’m sorry. Rosie, please, I’m sorry. Rosie, wake up. She fought against the darkness, desperate to see Mick, to reassure him, to tell him she was fine. He’d come back to her, he was alive, and he was holding her so close she could feel the soft fabric of his shirt against her face; she could feel the cool touch of a chain and pendant pressed against her cheek. Then she was awake, her eyes open, and she reached out for Mick and called his name, but she was alone on the floor of her bedroom, looking up at her shattered window, at her blue-and-white curtains framing the empty space. A siren wailed in the distance, and Mick was nowhere to be seen. But he’d been there, and he was alive. She smiled and closed her eyes again, and the sound of the siren faded into the darkness. He was here, she thought, and I’ll see him again.

Mick’s apartment was empty when Rose arrived, and she frowned, troubled. This was nothing new, and it might only mean that Mick was working late, but ever since she’d found him in the hospital last month, with his face battered and with fifty stitches closing a huge gash in his arm, she’d been terribly afraid for him. He was so moody and irritable, it didn’t take much to provoke him into a fight, and he simply didn’t care how badly the odds were stacked against him. Sometimes Rose wasn’t sure she knew him any more. The war had already taken Sam, and though it was supposed to have ended it still lay over Mick, a malevolent cloud of nightmare and memory that he might well not survive. Rose rubbed at her eyes, took a deep breath to steady herself, and opened her shopping bag. She pulled out the new 78 she’d bought today. Not easy to find, this, the man at the shop had told her, but I’ll wager your brother will like it. Rose studied the sleeve: it was KoKo, by Parker and Gillespie. She hoped Mick hadn’t heard it already. The man at the shop had talked on and on about the musicians, how he’d heard them play in New York during the war, how they were expected to do a tour in Los Angeles soon. Rose put KoKo on the record player and listened for a moment. A waterfall of sax and trumpet filled the room, strange and startling music full of octave leaps and rhythm changes, and she felt brighter just for hearing it. She’d never heard anything like it, and couldn’t help wondering how it would sound on her piano. Not like that with me playing, she thought with a smile – Parker and Gillespie weren’t just professionals, they were virtuosos - but she wondered if she ought to give it a try. She’d been playing classical for so long, perhaps it was time for a change of pace. She put the needle back to the beginning of the record and turned, meaning to climb up to the roof to see if Mick was there. But instead she found Mick on his way in, standing halfway through the door and looking mesmerized. “Rosie, what is that?” he asked, and he sounded so interested, she scarcely recognized his voice. They sat together on the threadbare couch and listened to the song twice over, and when it stopped Mick said wryly, “I should have learned saxophone.” He leaned over to start the record again, as rapt as he’d been in the days before the war, when he’d listened to swing and jazz on radio shows while Rosie played nearby with her toys. As the song began, Rose saw his glance stray to the corner where she’d left his guitar, and she felt dizzy with hope. She hadn’t seen him so much as look at his guitar since he’d come home from the war. Until today. Oh, Mick. Be yourself again, and come back to me.

The sun was sinking beyond the pier, and the wind was bitter now, but Rosie didn’t want to leave the beach. Mick was watching the light on the waves intently, as if he thought he might never see it again. And he might not, Rosie thought, shivering. Mick had a ticket for the train tomorrow, to go away for basic training, and after that he’d be sent off to the war, and no one knew what would happen then. “Are you scared?” Rosie asked, and Mick nodded, still looking out at the water. Rosie knew he wasn’t just afraid of dying out there; she’d overheard Mick and Sam talking this morning, about how horrific it would be to have to kill someone, even an enemy; about whether Sam and Daphne ought to try for a baby or not, since Sam would undoubtedly be called up soon. Sam wanted to, but he was afraid of leaving his wife to raise a child alone. Mick was afraid he’d never have the chance at all. He’d laughed about the way he’d been worrying over his career – It’s so easy now to see what I really want. A home, a family, children. Rosie said, “You’ll come back,” and Mick turned quickly to look at her. Rosie flushed and tried to make her tone light. “And then you’ll marry the most beautiful girl in the world, and have ten children,” she went on. Mick laughed and said, “And what, a hundred grandchildren? They’re really going to get tired of my war stories.” Rosie shook her head and reached for Mick’s hand. “I want to hear them,” she said. “Will you write to me?” Mick clasped her hand gently and pulled her to her feet. “Of course I will. Rosie, aren’t you cold? Your hand’s like ice.” He took off his jacket and helped her into it, and she happily snuggled into its warmth, her hands immersed in the sleeves, the hem around her knees. She was almost twelve and too big to be carried, but Mick picked her up and held her for a moment, his arms tight around her. When he put her down she reached into her shirt pocket and took out her school picture from last year, and silently held it out to him. He took it gravely and slipped it into his wallet, and then the sun dropped below the sea, and they set off side by side for home.

Rose sat curled on a chair with her mother’s album in her lap, looking from one picture to the next, marveling at how different they seemed now that she’d seen them through Mick’s eyes, and through Beth’s. Old memories welled up in Rose’s mind now, vivid and intense. She found the picture of herself with Mick on his wedding day, the one she’d been holding when Mick had broken in through her window. Then the one of Mick playing guitar in his first performance with his new band, blurry because she’d been so excited and her hands had been shaking. And finally her school picture from when she was eleven, the same one she’d given Mick to carry with him to the war.

Rose closed the album and reached into the pocket of her cardigan for the card Mick had left with her. She had his address, she had his e-mail; she could contact him whenever she wanted. She kept looking at the card every few minutes, to remind herself that it wasn’t all a dream, that Mick had been here, in this very room. He had sat at the kitchen table, leaning over the photo album, hair falling into his eyes so much like Tucker’s did. Rose clasped her arms around the album, remembering.

Mick.

The album had been open on the table in front of them, resting in a shaft of sunlight. Mick turned the last page, closing it carefully, the ring on his finger glinting in the light. Rose looked up at him: he was turned inward, deep in the memories. So many memories, for so young a face. But Rose could see his real age, sometimes, in his eyes.

She had spent the day with Mick and she’d asked many questions, but she hadn’t asked the first one to cross her mind. You nearly killed me. Did you kill anyone else, when you were first turned? She had never asked if Mick had killed anyone in the war, either. She didn’t think he had - medics hadn’t been armed during the war - but she knew that Mick had been given weapons training before being shipped out, and any soldier might pick up a gun and fire it. It was the rare veteran who survived a war without killing; she suspected that it was even harder for a person to become a vampire without killing. When vampires are first turned, they can’t control what they do. Beth’s statement had answered many of Rose’s questions before she’d even thought of them. Mick’s ordeal seemed very much like a war.

Mick re-opened the album, flipped backwards through it, and stopped at the place where the album was missing a year. How did he know? Rose didn’t think it looked at all obvious. Mother had erased that year of Rose’s life, in the album, with scarcely a ripple.

“There’s a lot missing,” Mick said.

“Yes.” Rose swallowed. She’d never told anyone about it, not even Richard. And she should have told Richard; she wished so much that she had. “It was about a year after you disappeared,” she said at last. “Mick, I got pregnant. I had a baby.”

“I know,” Mick said softly.

“You know?” She stared at him, astonished, and he lowered his eyes.

“I could never come near you,” he said, “but I had to know how you were. After what happened – I hired someone to watch over you. He brought me news. Pictures, sometimes. I knew you were pregnant. That you gave the baby up for adoption. I knew that it was hard for you.” He was still looking down, not meeting her gaze. “I’m sorry. I just couldn’t bear not knowing.”

Rose put a hand to his face, lifted it so that she could see his eyes. “Don’t be sorry! You don’t know how much it means to me, that you watched over me like that. You’ve done it all my life, haven’t you?”

“Yes,” Mick whispered.

“Good,” Rose said, and Mick looked at her in wonder. He started to say something, and then stopped.

“What?” Rose asked.

“I was just thinking of Beth. I watched over her too, all her life, without her knowing. And when she found out, she accepted it so easily. I hadn’t thought she would understand.”

“You watched over her all her life?” Rose said, puzzled. “But I thought you only met a few months ago.”

“Met again,” Mick said. “I first met her when she was four.”

When she was four, Beth had been kidnapped. I had something to hold on to, Beth had said. The man who rescued me.

Like when Mick came to me that night, Rose had answered.

Just like that. You can’t imagine how much like that.

“My God,” Rose whispered. “You were the private investigator. The one who rescued her, when she was kidnapped.”

Mick nodded, and Rose tried to think what it would be like for a little girl to meet a man, and then meet him again, unchanged, when she was grown.

“Does she know?” Of course she does. Rose realized it as soon as she spoke.

“Yes.” Mick smiled faintly. “I never told her, and she didn’t remember at first. But she figured it out in time.”

“And after you rescued her, you kept watching over her. Why?”

Mick’s gaze was faraway now. “There was something about her that called to me, even when she was only four years old. I had to be there for her; I had to know she was safe. I never meant to actually meet her, much less fall in love with her. It just happened.”

“And now she’s grown,” Rose said, “and you’re human. Mick, it was meant to be! You can be together now. Live an ordinary life – grow old together.” After his long nightmare, Rose thought, Mick could finally have all the things he’d dreamed of. A home, a family. Children.

But Mick looked stricken. “No,” he said.

“Why not?”

“I’m human now. But it isn’t going to last.”

“What do you mean?”

“The cure is only temporary. When it wears off, I’ll be a vampire again. Beth will grow older, but I won’t.”

You’ll be a vampire again? Rose shivered. “But this cure,” she said desperately. “Can’t you take it again? Keep repeating it?”

“No. It’s gone.” His voice was flat, and final, and full of pain. There was no hope in it.

“Oh, Mick.” She felt tears burn her eyes. “How long will it last?”

“Six months, maybe. Or less. I don’t really know.”

Rose was shocked, her thoughts spinning in turmoil. Unbearable, that he should have to turn back; she had not even imagined that possibility. And how was Beth going to deal with it? “What are you going to do?” she asked. “About Beth?”

“I don’t know.” After a long time, Mick said, “Relationships between humans and vampires are difficult. Dangerous. And they don’t end well. I ought to leave her, and stay away. It would be the best thing for her.”

“But she loves you.”

“I know.” His voice was almost inaudible.

Rose took his hand. Mick’s words, it would be the best thing for her, seemed to echo in her mind. She looked back at the photograph album, and Mick followed her gaze.

Rose took a breath and said, “You want the best for Beth. That’s what I wanted for my baby, too. To make the best choice for her. Everyone told me I couldn’t be a proper parent to her. I was single. I was too young. She’d be better off if she had an adoptive family, a real family, with a mother and a father. And I believed that myself, so I gave her up.”

Mick was listening intently, and he gripped her hand more firmly.

“Mick, it was the worst decision I ever made. I’ve regretted it every moment of my life. I loved my baby - I loved her so much. I could have raised her, and I could have done a good job. And how do I know what kind of life she did have? The adoption was closed. I can only hope her adoptive parents were good to her. I won’t ever know. I don’t know her name. I don’t even know if she’s alive. I don’t have her, and she doesn’t have me, and there’s no way to change that now.” Rose reached for the photo album and pushed it closed. “Mick,” she said, “if you stay together, I can’t even imagine what kinds of problems you and Beth will face. She’ll grow older and you won’t, and maybe that’s the least of it. But you love each other, here and now, and if it’s at all possible for you to be together – you shouldn’t let that go.”

Mick was silent, looking past Rose out the window. Rose saw Beth’s rental car pull up in front of the house, saw Beth get out of the car with a bag of groceries in her arms. Mick’s face was full of longing, full of hope, and Rose thought her words had meant something to him. But he didn’t say anything about Beth. Instead he turned back to Rose and said, “Your daughter is alive, and she’s well. Her name is Rosemary.”

Rose picked up Mick’s card again, her hand trembling. She still couldn’t believe he had known her daughter’s name. It was a project for me after I became a P.I., he’d told her. It took me years to find everything. The records weren’t just sealed; most of them were lost. In Mick’s long search he’d discovered that one of the nurses had told the adoptive parents Rose’s name, though this had been very much against the rules. Rose was sure the nurse must have been Ellen. The new parents had picked the name Rosemary for the baby because they’d wanted her to have something of her mother’s.

And Mick knew more about Rosemary, much more. All Rose had to do was send him an e-mail asking for it, and he’d give her everything he had.

Rose put the card back in her pocket, set the album on the table, and went to the hall closet. She opened the door and looked in at the jumble of remaining boxes, all of Mick’s belongings that she’d saved for so long. Mick had very hesitantly taken the guitar, but had asked her to keep the rest for now. Would he ever come back to see her? She didn’t know, and neither did he.

“After I change back, I don’t know if I can see you again,” he’d told her.

“Do you mean it would be too dangerous? When you change back, will it be like it was the first time?”

“No. I don’t think that will happen again. But after what I did to you – I never dared come near you as a vampire, even when it was safe. I could never stop seeing the image of what I did to you, and I was too afraid. And when I’m a vampire again – “ His voice had broken, and he’d looked away.

Maybe it will be different; maybe you can come back, Rose thought, running her hand along the top of one of the boxes. But a shadow crossed her mind as she wondered what it would really be like to meet Mick as a vampire. I wouldn’t see him as a monster. I wouldn’t! But what if she did? How could be certain how she would react? I can handle it, she told herself firmly. I can handle anything. Whatever happens, I won’t hurt Mick again.

“Will you write to me?” she’d asked.

“Of course I will,” he’d answered, just as he had that evening on the beach, the day before he’d left to go to war.

Rose went to her computer and then sat frozen for a long time, not touching the keyboard. All I have to do is ask, and I’ll know about my daughter. I can arrange to meet her. If Mick can come to me after fifty-five years and tell me he was a vampire, surely I can find the courage to do this. But she was frightened. It had been so long, so very long. What if Rosemary refused to see her? Rose didn’t know if she could bear it, if her daughter wanted nothing to do with her.

The doorbell rang, startling her, and when she answered the door she found the postman there, asking her to sign for a registered letter. Rose felt a thrill of elation when she recognized Mick’s handwriting. She tore open the envelope and drew out a brief note, along with two old and battered photographs. Staring at the pictures, she sank into a chair. One of the photographs was of Rose when she was a young woman. She was standing in a park, with children behind her playing on a swingset, and she was obviously pregnant. The other picture was of Ellen, the nurse. Holding a baby. Holding Rosemary.

The note said, These should go in your album. All my love, Mick.

The shadow fell away from Rose’s mind. She went to her computer, opened her e-mail, and began to type.

_
Last edited by Shadow on Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
coco
Cleaner

Re: The Other Side of the Mirror - part 4

Post by coco »

Oh Shadow I just have to say how superb this is. This whole chapter was incredible. The emotions are running high for them both and they found a way back to each other and found out things about each other. I adored the advice Rose gave to Mick about being with Beth. I hope he takes it.

This is such a stunning story :D
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

Incredible chapter! I am so happy Mick has his sister now. I am looking forward to the next update.
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

OMG, what a lovely chapter this was... it is so full of heart-rending and heart-warming moments I don't even know where to start!

How lovely they were able to get back together and work it out.

How MICK that he knew all about her baby.

How cool, the advice she gave him about Beth.

What a lovely episode of the show this would have made... Oh I would have loved to have seen this acted out!!

Wonderful, honey, really wonderful.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
one.zebra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by one.zebra »

I remember reading the first part, but them lost track of it...I reread all you have posted here...is this the end, or will you continue?
Banner and avatar by Twilightdew!

Travelling 33rpm in an iPod world
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Wonderful chapter! So beautiful, sad and yet hopeful. I hope Mick takes Rose's advice to heart and turns Beth!! I hope she can meet her daughter! I love this story!!!!

Can't wait for more...*scream* *scream* *scream* *thud* *notworthy*

mitzie
AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by AussieJo »

Shadow, this is so good!
I want it all and I want it NOW!!
lila
Freelance freshie

Post by lila »

Oh, Shadow, you weave this story impecably! Rose is so richly textured in my mind that I can understand her and see her clearly. And her advice to Mick is priceless (and true!).

I can't wait to see what happens with Rosemary!

I know I hate it when people nudge me for an update, but I... I can't help it! :lol: *offers bribes of chocolate for a quick update*
Thank you to Heartgram_lala for my beautiful icon.
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

Thanks so much for the amazing comments - I was very unsure about this story, so I'm kind of stunned to be asked for more of it! It's marvelous to be asked for an update (and if I had one I'd definitely go for that chocolate) but -

This really is the end of the story. Right now Mick's walking back into episode #13, and anything might happen with Rose and her daughter. (This is a mirror story to "Rose and Thorn", and so ends the same way - on the fourth chapter, and with possibilities still open.)

But, wow, it's wonderful that Rose made such an impression.

I do have another story in progress, a short one that's quite different from these. Since I can't offer an update I hope you'll be interested in something new .....
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Shadow wrote:Thanks so much for the amazing comments - I was very unsure about this story, so I'm kind of stunned to be asked for more of it! It's marvelous to be asked for an update (and if I had one I'd definitely go for that chocolate) but -

This really is the end of the story. Right now Mick's walking back into episode #13, and anything might happen with Rose and her daughter. (This is a mirror story to "Rose and Thorn", and so ends the same way - on the fourth chapter, and with possibilities still open.)

I do have another story in progress, a short one that's quite different from these. Since I can't offer an update I hope you'll be interested in something new .....
Oh most definitely interested in something new. Loved this story as much as I did Rose and Thorn so can't wait for your new one :D
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
lila
Freelance freshie

Post by lila »

coco wrote:
Shadow wrote:Thanks so much for the amazing comments - I was very unsure about this story, so I'm kind of stunned to be asked for more of it! It's marvelous to be asked for an update (and if I had one I'd definitely go for that chocolate) but -

Oh most definitely interested in something new. Loved this story as much as I did Rose and Thorn so can't wait for your new one :D
Ditto.

It's a shame that this is where it stops, but now that you mention it, and that I reread this, the final paragraph does give a sensation of closure.

I'd love to read anything that you come up with, and if you have a PM list, I'd like to be included in it :mrgreen: . If not, I'll just check back once in a while.
Thank you to Heartgram_lala for my beautiful icon.
MSJ_sunglasses
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MSJ_sunglasses »

Shadow, I've never really been one to read FF and must admit to not knowing what it was all about :oops: . However over the last couple of nights I decided to sit quietly in our very large library here at Moonlightaholics and opened up first Rose and Thorn, then The Other Side of the Mirror and they are just so powerful. They really could have been actual episodes of Moonlight imho, they capture Mick's anguish so so well. Thank you for doing such a beautiful job of filling in some of the gaps in our wonderful show and letting us find out more about the St John family. :D
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Shadow,
I will be shadowing you!! :lol: I loved Rose and Thorn and The Other Side of the Mirror!!!! Can't wait to see your new story!!

*hugs*
mitzie
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

coco, lila, mitzie; so glad you'll be interested in a different one ... I haven't had a PM list, lila, since I only ever had the one story posted before, but hey, I'll make one and you're on it! (It's probably obvious but I should give fair warning - I am pretty slow at putting out stories.)

MSJ_sunglasses, I'm really honored by your comment. It is just wonderful to hear that these two stories could make such an impact, especially knowing that you haven't been a fan fiction reader. (And it's somehow fitting that you found these, since I had not ever planned on writing any fan fiction.) I'm delighted that you came across these stories - and thank you so much for letting me know what you thought of them.
lovinmick
Mortal

Post by lovinmick »

Oh Shadow, what a beautiful story!! I just couldn't stop it until I read all 4 chapters. It was so sweet and sad and happy...it was amazing! Can't wait to read more of your stories :P .

Return to “Shadow's Office”