Night Moth (Coraline, PG)

A place for Shadow's G to PG-13 stories
Shadow
Courtesan

Re: Night Moth (PG)

Post by Shadow »

Hi FarCry! Thanks for coming over here to read this!

And you do make me feel better - it's a relief to know I wasn't the only one who didn't notice Cynthia in the flashback scene. (And this isn't the only thing I've found out I missed. Who says fan fiction isn't educational?)

I love the contradiction in Mick's character, and you're so right - that's what makes him so very compelling.

Heh, I'll have to write a lot faster in order to ever have a chance in a contest. Unless I happen to have something almost finished that fits the guidelines when the contest is announced! This one was hopeless though; as it turned out the entry deadline had actually already passed by the time I noticed the contest. :sadface:
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

If it makes you feel at all better, during the shower scene in B.C., when Beth kept saying, "Turn me...turn me..." to Mick, I thought she meant "Turn me around" (so they could get a little closer?). I later realized from seeing other people's comments on something that she meant "Turn me into a vampire," and I went, "Oh...duh!" :slaphead:

:dunce:
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

NocturneInCMoll wrote:If it makes you feel at all better, during the shower scene in B.C., when Beth kept saying, "Turn me...turn me..." to Mick, I thought she meant "Turn me around" (so they could get a little closer?). I later realized from seeing other people's comments on something that she meant "Turn me into a vampire," and I went, "Oh...duh!" :slaphead:

:dunce:
Oh yes, that does make me feel better! Especially since it was just last month I discovered through Red's stories that Mick "killed" Coraline in the same place that she turned him - that unusual headboard is right there leaning against the wall behind Coraline and little Beth, and I never saw it. Which wouldn't be so bad (I think a lot of people missed that) except that I broke that scene down frame by frame for a video, and still didn't see it.

The Franklin Hotel fire makes a lot more sense now .....

Wonder what I'm going to find out next month?
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Oh, wow, I didn't get that either! Hmm, interesting! And good to know...
bluedahlia3
Rogue vampire
Location: Strolling down a foggy street, collar popped up, emoting cigarette smoke

Post by bluedahlia3 »

Shadow this is just wonderful. I loved the way you played with Cora and made her seem so multi-dimentional. The way you wove her in time back and forth watching Mick, loving him. Even from the beginning it was always a sad, sick relationship. Am I'm really glad that a good writer likes writing Cora. Thanks for the great read. :dracula:
"I'm only wearing black until they come up with something darker." LaCroix
Forever grateful to Trevor Munson for his gift.
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

bluedahlia3 wrote:Shadow this is just wonderful. I loved the way you played with Cora and made her seem so multi-dimentional. The way you wove her in time back and forth watching Mick, loving him. Even from the beginning it was always a sad, sick relationship. Am I'm really glad that a good writer likes writing Cora. Thanks for the great read. :dracula:
Thanks so much for the wonderful comment, bluedahlia. I did really enjoy playing with Coraline's character; she is such a mystery, leaving open so many possibilities for her past. I'm glad you liked the story!
jmc
Rogue vampire

Post by jmc »

I saw a recommendation from Francis for "a tale of Coraline's history with Mick before they even met. It's really good."

Well, first off, it is really, really good. And for all the reasons listed by Grace and the other posters above.

I was interested to see you address "the gray bleakness of the world." I have wondered about what keeps the vamps going after the thrill of the hunt pales; after survival loses it's allure; when there is nothing new under the sun and you know that you have endless nights and endless opportunities for boredom and disappointment. Coraline picked well with Mick. He's a great foil for her, sparking her interest for decades, maybe centuries. Not so good for Mick, who was stalked from childhood and never had a chance.

:reading: Thank you, Shadow.

. . . Love is strong as death . . . - Song of Solomon 8: 6
"fiercely faithful"

My beautiful MickBeth avatar by Twilightdew. My beautiful banner courtesy of the very talented Phoenix.
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

jmc wrote:I saw a recommendation from Francis for "a tale of Coraline's history with Mick before they even met. It's really good."

Well, first off, it is really, really good. And for all the reasons listed by Grace and the other posters above.

I was interested to see you address "the gray bleakness of the world." I have wondered about what keeps the vamps going after the thrill of the hunt pales; after survival loses it's allure; when there is nothing new under the sun and you know that you have endless nights and endless opportunities for boredom and disappointment. Coraline picked well with Mick. He's a great foil for her, sparking her interest for decades, maybe centuries. Not so good for Mick, who was stalked from childhood and never had a chance.

:reading: Thank you, Shadow.

Thanks so much jmc! Seemed like Coraline just plain needed to have plots and plans at work to feel alive, and without them her life would be pretty empty. ( I did wonder about how the older vamps kept going too, as you said - to me Josef seemed really vulnerable to that bleakness, with his need for entertainment and company every moment, and Lola was dispatched so easily, it almost seemed like she wanted to die.) I don't know if Coraline would ever really have felt that way, but it sure seemed like an interesting possibility. And you're so right - Mick would no doubt keep her interest sparked, one way or another, for centuries!
lila
Freelance freshie

Post by lila »

Mmmm, I really enjoyed reading this; that fic rec was very, very right.

Coraline's backstory here is different, unique from any I've read before -despite there being some general similarities of poverty in her background, etc. It's very easy and tempting at times to forget that Coraline has a soul, a motivation to her actions, and your fic restores that beautifully.

Something I really, really love about Night Moth is the parallel or reflection of Coraline's relationship with Mick to that of his with Beth: a vampire "protecting" a child, almost grooming them, falling in love with them over a "chance meeting". It's eerie and chilling and delightful, and also realistic, because let's face it, parents (or sires) are the ones who really screw you up or otherwise leave a profound imprint on you. And Mick may want to fight it, but so many of his actions were a direct reaction to his turning and his affair with Coraline.
All in all, this is a lovely, bittersweet read, working wonderfully as an explanation for Coraline and her motivations ;) .
Thank you to Heartgram_lala for my beautiful icon.
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

lila wrote:Mmmm, I really enjoyed reading this; that fic rec was very, very right.

Coraline's backstory here is different, unique from any I've read before -despite there being some general similarities of poverty in her background, etc. It's very easy and tempting at times to forget that Coraline has a soul, a motivation to her actions, and your fic restores that beautifully.

Something I really, really love about Night Moth is the parallel or reflection of Coraline's relationship with Mick to that of his with Beth: a vampire "protecting" a child, almost grooming them, falling in love with them over a "chance meeting". It's eerie and chilling and delightful, and also realistic, because let's face it, parents (or sires) are the ones who really screw you up or otherwise leave a profound imprint on you. And Mick may want to fight it, but so many of his actions were a direct reaction to his turning and his affair with Coraline.
All in all, this is a lovely, bittersweet read, working wonderfully as an explanation for Coraline and her motivations ;) .
Hi lila, it is great to see you here! Hope that means that RL is starting to give you a break!

It was so good to hear that Coraline's backstory here was different from others you've read. I just haven't read enough fics yet to really know what all is out there. (That must-read list is growing sooo long.) I was sure hoping I'd come up with some things that hadn't been done before.

Thanks so much for your comment about the Mick & Beth parallels! That was probably my favorite part to do .... especially those photographs.
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

If anybody likes videos, I've got one featuring more of Coraline's photography - and schemes.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw9Tn-oerIY
lila
Freelance freshie

Post by lila »

Shadow wrote: Hi lila, it is great to see you here! Hope that means that RL is starting to give you a break!
Yeah, thankfully mid-year break has come around and I've got more time on my hands, which of course translates directly into more reading. Hee!

And hmmmmm, a vid? I'll definitely go check that out. I seem to have a newfound obsession with good fanart. As if I need another thing to obsess over... ;)
Thank you to Heartgram_lala for my beautiful icon.
starbucksjunkie
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Home drinking my own Starbucks and watching my DVDs. There's a recession on!

Post by starbucksjunkie »

This is stellar work. You have made Coraline complex, conflicted, and almost to be pitied.

Brava!

"There is a degree to which . . . all literature, highbrow or low, from the Aeneid onward, is fan fiction . . . retelling and reimagining the stories that were told before us and that we have come of age loving--amateurs--we proceed, seeking out the blank places in the map that our favorite writers . . . have left for us . . ." -- Michael Chabon, Maps and Legends
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

lila wrote:
Shadow wrote: Hi lila, it is great to see you here! Hope that means that RL is starting to give you a break!
Yeah, thankfully mid-year break has come around and I've got more time on my hands, which of course translates directly into more reading. Hee!

And hmmmmm, a vid? I'll definitely go check that out. I seem to have a newfound obsession with good fanart. As if I need another thing to obsess over... ;)

I'm hoping it translates into more writing time for you too? ;)

Ah, you can never have too any Moonlight obsessions. And getting obsessed with fanvids isn't too bad of a thing time-wise.
(Unless of course you get obsessed with making them!)
(LIke me ....)
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

starbucksjunkie wrote:This is stellar work. You have made Coraline complex, conflicted, and almost to be pitied.

Brava!
Thank you Nikki, that has made my day! I wanted to bring those qualities to Coraline without losing the character, and was never quite sure if I'd managed it .....

Return to “Shadow's Office”