Chatsworth - Coraline's house

Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Chatsworth - Coraline's house

Post by Lilly »

The Chatsworth Estate

Known as Chatsworth or the Fox Residence, the house used for Coraline’s home has quite a rich history. It was designed by renowned architect William Pereira, whose credits include the Transamerica pyramid in San Francisco as well as a myriad of other buildings, and his partner, Charles Luckman. It was completed in 1949 (or 1951 depending on the source). Notably, Chatsworth has been owned by Frank Sinatra and Lucille Ball, and was allegedly the location of Marilyn Monroe’s last photo shoot.

The Chatsworth, CA home has been used as a location in a number of Hollywood productions.

Most recently, in July of this year, it was used to house the contestants for HGTV’s Design Star. As part of the competition, the designers were challenged with re-decorating several rooms of the house. : Link

(Photos from HGTV website)

The first episode, which includes some nice shots of the interior, can be viewed here: Link

A word of warning, however – viewing what these would-be designers did to this magnificent house is not for the faint of heart.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Television:

2011: Californication, Season 4

2009: HGTV’s Design Star, Season 4: Hollywood

2008: Mad Men, Season 2, Episode 11: The Jet Set

2007: Moonlight, Episode 7: The Ringer and Episode 9: Fleur de Lis

2001: Six Feet Under, Season 1, Episode 5: An Open Book

Movies:

2006: Dreamgirls

2001: Swordfish

There are probably dozens of other appearances -- they will be added here as they come to our attention.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mad Men, Season 2, Episode 11: The Jet Set.

Gabriel’s house in the movie Swordfish:

Interior

Front door:

ML – 1952:

ML – 2008:

Living room:

ML – 1952:

ML- 2008:

There was not enough information in the way of visual cues to construct a floor plan from what we saw in "The Ringer" and "Fleur de Lis," but I'm hoping that these other shows will help provide some of the missing detail.

If anyone has screencaps from other productions featuring the estate, we'd be delighted to have you post them.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Chatsworth - Coraline's house

Post by darkstarrising »

Wow, Lilly! Thanks for pulling this together....I never had a true appreciation for how the house was situated as it is...what a tremendous view! I could live in that pool :cloud9:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Lilly, this is just awesome. Thank you so much for all your research! What an amazing house.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

I would so love to see this house in person. I'm just fascinated by the design and by its rich history.

It's still my goal to come up with a floor plan, but to be honest, it took me all this time just to figure out where Mick threw the chair through the window. :roll:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

Very interesting.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh:

Thank you SO much, Lilly. I love this house - totally adore it and for me, it was a character in the show.

Red :smooch:

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Totally fascinating, Lilly. Thank you so much!

I wonder if they got permission to throw the chair through the window and repair it later, or if they rebuilt that glass wall in the studio, or what else they did. Because, frankly, I wouldn't dare to even ask to destroy part of such a historic site.
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Lilly, you are amazing. :notworthy: Thank you so much. :flowers:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
Lullani
Freelance freshie

Post by Lullani »

Lilly, that was fascinating. Such a beautiful house.
Fantastic avi by TugaFanatic. Gorgeous banner by Cassysj.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

I'm so glad you all enjoyed the look around.
francis wrote:Totally fascinating, Lilly. Thank you so much!

I wonder if they got permission to throw the chair through the window and repair it later, or if they rebuilt that glass wall in the studio, or what else they did. Because, frankly, I wouldn't dare to even ask to destroy part of such a historic site.
francis, it's just a guess, but I think they would have removed the existing glass and replaced it with "movie" glass for the shoot. :chin:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I will always love the image of Mick standing at that door with his drunken breath fogging the glass. (And I loved that Coraline's breath didn't... 'cos she's a vampire, see...) :laugh:
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Lilly.. :hearts:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

So now it's used as a set, people don't live there?

I'd love to know the address or road it is on....

I found an area in LA called "Chatsworth", if I combed the Google map would it show up there?
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Lucy, I put the address in the Episode 7 location thread, but I guess I forgot to include it here:
3. Coraline’s house – Chatsworth/Fox Residence, Farralone Avenue, Chatsworth, CA 91311
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

Lilly wrote:Lucy, I put the address in the Episode 7 location thread, but I guess I forgot to include it here:
3. Coraline’s house – Chatsworth/Fox Residence, Farralone Avenue, Chatsworth, CA 91311

Many thanks!

Return to “Moonlight Locations”