Favours (Mick/Josef; PG) 2009

A place for Tam's G to PG-13 stories
Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Favours (Mick/Josef; PG) 2009

Post by Tam »

Rating : PG (for language)
Spoilers : Ep 10 of Moonlight, season 1
Summary : Character musing- Mick asks Josef for a favour.
First posted : ff.net, December 2009

Disclaimer :
The characters are not mine, no money is being made and no infringement is intended.
Favours

"No, you listen to me," Josef said, his tone clear and businesslike, leaving no room for arguments."These paintings were procured legally. Yes, I am certain. Why? Because my grandfather bought them, ok? They are a family heirloom. I only leant them to the museum as a personal favour- not because I felt morally obliged or whatever. Look...I wasn't even alive back then-" Josef shot a glance at Mick over his desk, rolling his eyes. His friend just smiled. "...so you trying to guilt-trip me into any deal isn't going to work. You want them? You can join the auction like everyone else. Bidding starts at 20 grand. Yeah, I'll see you there."

Josef hung up and glared at the phone in his hand for a moment before looking up at Mick.
"Can you believe these people? For years, these paintings were worth nothing! Mondriaan, Kandinsky- I bought them at an auction in Switzerland back in 1938. "Entartete Kunst", yeah? Degenerate art. If I hadn't, the Nazis would have burnt them. They burnt everything they couldn't sell. And now there's this big Bauhaus revival and they want me to donate the pieces for the benefit of the Holocaust Survivors Foundation."
"I guess they were trying to appeal to your sense of humanity," Mick commented idly.
"Yeah, well- I'm not human, am I? And I do enough charity work already. Those paintings were an investment and I am not going to give them out for free now that it's starting to pay out."
"I'm not arguing with you," Mick reminded his friend, offering up his palms in a disarming gesture.
Josef sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I know, I know. I'm sorry."
"'S' okay." Mick knew Josef long enough to know how serious he took his business.

"So, what can I do for you, Mick?" Josef put away his phone and prepared to be all ears.
"Actually, it's not for me. Sam, one of Beth's friends, her contact who helped us out with some computer stuff, got fired from Buzzwire. And with Ryder in South America, I was hoping you might have a job opening."
Josef frowned. "And why would I want-"
"She's really good. And I know you're always looking for trustworthy personnel..."
"She?" Josef repeated.
Mick smiled. "I'm not sure she's your type," he said, "but she's very capable. She found you in New York." Mick realised it was the wrong thing to say as soon as the words left his mouth. It was like he could see Josef's defences come up like a visible shield.
"She knows about Sarah?" his friend asked, his voice dangerously neutral. Too neutral, Mick knew.
"No, she doesn't. Your secret is safe, Josef. But if she hadn't helped us track you down we wouldn't have been in time to reach you before the assassin-"
"Yeah, ok," Josef cut him off. He didn't need reminding of that. He had been careless. Reckless. He had lead the killer straight to Sarah- to the very room she slept in, and all because he had needed to see her. He grasped at a change of subject. "So why did she get fired?"
"I think her exact words were 'because her new boss is a scandal-whoring fucktard'. Personally, I would say her new boss didn't encourage her personal integrity."
"That sounds promising," Josef replied dryly. "And what do you hope to gain from this deal?"
Mick paused, putting on a mock-insulted frown. "You mean apart from having your best interest at heart?" he tried, but he could see Josef wasn't buying it. "It would mean a lot to Beth."
"Hmmm. Enough to put out?" Josef flashed his fangs, leaving it in the middle if he meant blood or sex- or both.
"Josef!!"
"What? I'm just saying...nothing comes for free."
"So, what...I'll owe you, too?"
Josef cocked his head. "Depends. Are you putting out?" His eyes glittered mischievously.
Mick shook his head disbelievingly. "You're incorrigible," he said, getting up. "So can I tell Sam to email you?"
"Yeah, sure. Have her include a photo." Josef winked.
Mick rolled his eyes. "Bye, Josef."
"Goodbye. Tell Beth I said 'hi'."

Mick raised his hand to signal he had heard his friend as he walked away. That was probably the only part of their conversation he would tell Beth about.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Favours (Mick/Josef; PG) 2009

Post by francis »

I love their banter. But Josef employing a human, one who isn't in on the secret - I guess she couldn't really fill the job description of Ryder. It's a nice gesture of Josef to consider her.
I love the teasing Josef gives Mick.
But if she hadn't helped us track you down we wouldn't have been in time to reach you before the assassin-"
No, Mick, you're sugar coating a fact that you didn't tell Josef: It was you that the assassin followed. In the park, when you were preoccupied with reading the diary, he was around all along, and you didn't smell him. So, it was you who lead the assassin there. But I wouldn't tell my best friend either. :chin:
Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Tam »

francis wrote:No, Mick, you're sugar coating a fact that you didn't tell Josef: It was you that the assassin followed. In the park, when you were preoccupied with reading the diary, he was around all along, and you didn't smell him. So, it was you who lead the assassin there. But I wouldn't tell my best friend either. :chin:
Oooh well-spotted! I realised that too, after I had written it. But maybe Mick really didn't know, so still thinks the assassin figured it out on his own.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Yes, I think Mick doesn't know. He was so preoccupied with his emotions about Beth and the mystery of why his friend had secrets from him. He just didn't pay attention.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Love the easy banter. Typical guy talk.

Sam would make a wonderful addition to Kostan Industries. Somehow, I think San wiykd be more accepting and open to what she might learn than most.

Thanks

Jenna
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

"I think her exact words were 'because her new boss is a scandal-whoring fucktard'.
:rolling:

I think I work right next to Sam....... :snicker:

Great banter...the key to a realistic Mick & Josef interlude! :clapping:

Return to “Tam's Office”