Logan's WoW nemesis

Not as We (Mick/Josef, G; 2010)

Post by Tam »

Rating : G
Spoilers : Ep 2 of Moonlight, season 1
Summary : Flashback - the morning after Coraline's 'death'
First posted : today, right here :)

Disclaimer :
The characters are not mine, no money is being made and no infringement is intended.
Not as We

When Mick woke up, he was alone. Really alone. The dull pain in his chest where his beating heart used to be, a now familiar hollow place of regret, seemed only a pinprick to the chasm that he had ripped into his life by murdering his wife. He remembered it precisely, every horrible detail- the screams, the sickening scent of melting hair and burning flesh – and the raging heartbeat he held pressed to his chest, that small warm body that had been his reason do it. She was home now, in safety, and he was alone. It had been too hard to think about on his own yesterday, and so he had gone to the only place he felt safe- to Josef. The rest of the night was a blur. They talked- and after there was nothing left to say, they had started drinking. He had no recollection of getting into the freezer, and he suspected his friend had carried him there. It held Josef's lingering scent of decay and cigars. Mick closed his eyes again, trying to concentrate on the comfort and the familiarity of it. His memory triggered by the scent, he remembered flashes of the night: strong arms that held him through the nightmares, pale hands brushing frozen tears off his face and his friend's voice whispering soothing words in his ear.

Mick swallowed. His throat was dry and raw with the burn of strong alcohol and screams. His stomach tightened in an involuntary spasm, signalling nausea and hunger at the same time, confusing his system. He knew he had to get out of the freezer to feed- and as soon as he did, he'd have to accept this new life. A life without Coraline. There was only two reasons he was willing to take that step- one was safe in her mother's arms, the other was waiting for him upstairs.

Mick found fresh clothes laid out by the side of the freezer. It wasn't hard to guess what had happened to the ones he had worn. Torn, covered in soot and dirt, smelling of smoke- it was not the kind of attire Josef tolerated in his meticulously clean house. Mick slipped into the pants. They were snug, but soft, and of a quality that would probably cost him half a month's salary. Buttoning up the shirt, he walked up to the ground floor, closing the door behind him and sliding the panel back to cover the hidden entrance to the freezer rooms.

"So, you're up," Josef remarked from behind him.

Mick turned and offered his friend a self-conscious half-smile.
"Yeah. What time is it?" he asked, looking over Josef's shoulder at the setting sun behind him. He had slept all day. Josef shrugged. The time wasn't important to him right now.

"How are you?"

Mick considered the question carefully. He knew his friend didn't ask just to be polite- he asked because vampires who went around killing their sires were usually labelled 'feral'- and the Cleaners had issues with that.
"I guess...I'm okay," he said finally.

Josef nodded. "Good. Then you can get out of here."

"Yeah, I thought I should drive to Coraline's place and pick up my- ...what?"

"You heard me."

Mick frowned. Josef had taken him in, he had comforted him- borrowed him clothes! And now he was throwing him out? "I don't get it," he said. "I thought-"

"You thought you could just move in here? Come on, man, how would that look, a bachelor and a widower shacking up..." Josef's voice was light and teasing, like the situation was amusing.

"I don't believe this. I--" Mick broke off in frustration. "I just lost my wife of 33 years, and you're worried it might look gay if we lived together?"

Josef cocked his head. "'Lost' is an interesting euphemism. You didn't lose her- you killed her." There was an edge to his voice that wasn't there before, and for a moment, the twinkle in his eyes was gone. Then he shrugged. "And I have a reputation to uphold. I need my privacy when I have female visitors." He waggled his eyebrows.

"Your house is big enough, I wouldn't be in your way," Mick objected, pushing away the hurt of Josef's accusation. He knew he had killed his wife- he didn't need reminding.

"Yeah, but you know me, I tend to move all over the place. Variety of..eh- spice. I could hang one of my ties on the doorknob and you can sit on the steps waiting. But you know it can take all night-"

"Are you really that worried I'd cramp your style?" Mick interrupted his friend's innuendo angrily. "What's this really about, Josef? You are my best friend. And I sure as hell could use a friend right now."

Josef's smile faded. "That's not all you need- and as your friend, I am asking you to leave. My door will always be open for you-" Josef said seriously, before smirking and adding "well, except when the tie is on-"

"...but you don't want me to live with you."

"No."

Mick was taken aback. It was like the last footholds he had in this world were now crumbling away, tectonic plates shifting beneath his feet- and he was falling. "So...where am I supposed to go?" he asked quietly.

Josef clenched his jaw, for once sparing his friend his sarcasm. Mick nodded wordlessly, and turned away, striding out briskly, trying to reach his car before disappointment and hurt from his best friend's rejection made him say things he wouldn't be able to take back.

Inside, Josef let out a deep breath he hadn't realized he had been holding. He closed his eyes, willing the image of Mick's crestfallen expression out of his mind. If his friend was ever going to learn to live on his own as a vampire, without a sire to protect and to guide him every step of the way, this was the only way. Maybe, without someone dictating how he fed and lived, he would be able to accept his life. He'll be alright, Josef told himself. I turned out ok on my own too. But telling himself that didn't make him feel better. It was the hardest thing he had ever done.

--End--
Last edited by Tam on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Re: Not as We (Mick/Josef, G; 2010)

Post by jenstc2003 »

OOH! OUCH! But the sting of it will fade, and I have faith that Mick will come to understand why J is so unkind to him on this of all days. I like it!!
Jen

Mick's Synful One
Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Tam »

Thanks - and yes, their friendship will survive :)
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

This is a coming-of-age for Mick, and Josef knows it. One wrong step and the fledgling will never fly. I really like this. :twothumbs:
And it would fit the Killing Time challenge, too.
Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Tam »

francis wrote: And it would fit the Killing Time challenge, too.
I should check that one out!! :)

Return to “Tam's Office”