China In Your Hands (PG-13) - relocation challenge #101

A place for Francis' G to PG-13 stories
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

China In Your Hands (PG-13) - relocation challenge #101

Post by francis »

This was written for the champagne challenge to write something about Relocation. I challenged myself with this, not knowing where it would head. It's some Mick introspective, a bit of fluff, set into the future of Mick and Beth together.
I don't own Moonlight. No copyright infringement intended.
The title is taken from a song by T'pau.

Mick stayed in the back when they lowered the coffin into the ground. He didn’t want to intrude, and he didn’t want Bobby’s daughter to recognize him. She had seen him back in the days, when she was only seven, and he wasn’t in the mood to fabricate a late father again.

It was hard enough to stand here and see Bobby Desmond’s few relatives mourn his passing on a chilly November day. Bobby was one of the few people he just couldn’t stay away from, and that was due to the fact that Bobby had been blind since the late 80s due to a cataract in both eyes. It was Mick’s one chance of keeping a human friend for longer than a decade. Mick tried to balance his need for continuity with due dilligence, shying away from Bobby’s touch, but staying in touch nonetheless.

Bobby was gone now. Life was fragile, like china in your hands. You never knew when and how it could all end. And yet, Mick somehow envied Bobby for having a purpose, a goal, a defined ending. It made time precious to have so little of it. Mick felt like he was suspended, never growing up, almost like Peter Pan. Thirty was a good age to be immortal, but still, he yearned for growth, the wisdom of old age. He felt like he didn’t move forward, just run in circles, emotionally.

Then again, he had to admit he was different now from the Mick he was in the 80s. The last tie to that person was broken now with Bobby. So his life wasn’t written in stone for eternity.

Standing in this cemetery Mick realized that he had never relocated and left his whole identity behind like other vamps had. He had taken a risk and stayed in his city, with his name. There were ways to fake a birth certificate, to update a paper trail, and it got even easier with computers. Mick had changed his address every decade or so, shifting from Venice Beach to Pasadena to Inglewood to Downtown, but never really leaving the area. Some digs were pretentious, some were badly furnished holes, depending on his financial and emotional state at the time. But he always stayed the same person, Mick St. John, P.I. and gloomy loner, keeping his old files when he moved.

Maybe relocating once in a while helped to overcome the stasis that befell a vampire after living on for endless times. It probably made leaving possessions and contacts behind easier. Josef for example seemed to change his identity like others changed their wardrobe. He commuted between L.A. and New York in his own rhythm, always inheriting his own money and changing his name.

When Mick met him in 1953, at a party his then-wife held at their house, he had been Josef Frazer for some 20odd years. Mick remembered him sprawled into a lounge chair at the patio, telling anecdotes of his adventures in early Hollywood. In that first night, Mick was full of contempt for that pompous ass, and told Coraline as much. She reprimanded him that Josef was one of the pillars of the vamp community in L.A. and to have some respect. She was always more inclined to hierarchy than to democracy. When she told Mick that Josef didn’t deem him cut out to be a vampire, her husband laughed into her face. Josef was right, of course. She meant it as a warning not to get into his face, but Mick saw it as the beginning of a possible friendship. He felt that Josef was someone he could just be himself with, someone who saw through his mask, without molding him to his fit, valuing honesty and differing opinions. Mick discovered later that Josef thought the same of him, and they established a routine of late night visits at Josef’s place that were the one thing in Mick’s life he was looking forward to at the time.
But a year later, Josef was gone. Mick missed him, he had gotten used to his presence. Josef was always a great source of information and advice when Coraline ceased to be his first choice of confidante.

Coraline, when pressed for information, told Mick that Josef had relocated to New York and that she didn’t know what name he used now. It was the first time Mick experienced first hand what relocation meant to a community: the constant change of friends and places.

Mick was startled out of his revery when Beth came from behind and took his arm. She had been working on something and was late, but he was glad she came.

„Penny for your thoughts?“ she asked in a small voice, checking his face for his emotions. „You seemed to be miles away.“

„Not miles, but years. Remembering old times.“ He tried to shake the introspective gloomyness that had befallen him. „Would you like to go for a drink?“

She smiled. „It’s a bit early for scotch, but I wouldn’t mind coffee. There’s a small café down the road.“

They sat down in a small alcove of the almost empty place and ordered coffee. Mick’s was just for show, but when Beth had made short work of her own, she grinned and swapped the cups around. „Two for one. You’re a cheap date.“
He smiled.

„You must know an awful lot of people who are already dead.“ she mused.
„Actually, not. Not lately. I don’t have many contacts in the human world anymore. And vampires don’t get a grave normally.“

If he died tomorrow, noone would bury him, mourn him at a wake, there would be no stone with a name and date. The birth date would be wrong anyway. The Cleaner would take his remains and destroy them, scatter his ashes to the wind. He wouldn’t have a home in death.

„Why did you never change your name?“ she asked out of the blue. „Bobby Desmond knew you as Mick St. John. Isn’t that a bit dangerous?“

He nodded. „Yeah. I got some ribbing by Josef for that. I tried to change it a few times, but I just couldn’t make myself give it up, always came back to it after a few months or so. It’s my father’s name, it would have been like leaving them all for good.“

„I understand. A name is part of our identity. I can’t imagine not being Beth Turner. But the name doesn’t define me, it’s not what makes me - me.“

Mick thought about what Beth was to him, and what would change if she changed her name. Nothing, he decided. Nothing would change.

His gaze was intense suddenly, burning into her. „If I changed my name, would you still know me?“

She took another sip of the lukewarm coffee, thinking. „It would need some getting used to not calling you Mick. But, yes, the name is just a label. I would still know you and love you.“

„What if I changed identity, moved to, say, China, or Chicago, or France, had another job, another car, a fabricated resume?“

She shivered. „Would you take me with you?“ Her voice was wistful, longing. Almost pleading.

He choked up. She was the one he could never leave behind. And she wouldn’t want to be left. Tears in his eyes, he nodded.

He hadn’t expected to have such an epiphany today. But apart from Josef, Guillermo and maybe half a dozen other vamps, he didn’t have ties to anybody in this world. And now there was Beth. She made him want to be someone, made him want to live.

And he realized, he might be immortal, almost indestructable, and hiding in the shadows. But she was holding his identity, his person. He was nothing without her, just an empty shell. His life was china in her hands, delicate, breakable. Nothing could hurt him anymore, except for her.

Beth was his lifeline. He hadn’t really lost his soul after all.
He had relocated his soul into her.
She was his home.
Last edited by francis on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: China In Your Hands (PG-13) - relocation challenge #101

Post by redwinter101 »

I love the scene in OOTP between Bobby and Mick - there was so much genuine warmth there - and I can see how much he would mourn Bobby's death and the severing of that connection.

I thnk this fits in very nicely with one of the other themes from the show - that life only has meaning because of mortality.
francis wrote:Beth was his lifeline. He hadn’t really lost his soul after all.
She was his home.
And that is a lovely, lovely ending.

Very nice, francis.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

He hadn’t expected to have such an epiphany today. But apart from Josef, Guillermo and maybe half a dozen other vamps, he didn’t have ties to anybody in this world. And now there was Beth. She made him want to be someone, made him want to live.

And he realized, he might be immortal, almost indestructable, and hiding in the shadows. But she was holding his identity, his person. He was nothing without her, just an empty shell. His life was china in her hands, delicate, breakable. Nothing could hurt him anymore, except for her.

She was his home.
francis that was absolutely gorgeous from start to finish. The end section I've quoted above was just so wonderful. Beth has his soul and he's home *sigh* :D
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

So beautiful Ilike your idea for relocation. Nicely done!! ;)
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Post by Catmoon »

Wow, this was just beautiful. Beautiful. I wish I could say more, but I've already risked being late for work because I just had to read it before I left! :D
Click here for link to my HB series story index

"I do whatever the Josef-muse tells me to do."
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Francis,
This is so beautiful! It captures the essence of Moonlight - Mick's realization that the relationships keep his soul alive.
I loved the reminiscing and the backstory with Josef. Also, the ending was lovely.
Thank you,
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

That was so beautiful, francis!! Love the image of the delicate china. Gorgeous story!!!! *scream* *scream* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* 8-)

mitzie
CarolBee
Mortal

Post by CarolBee »

Just beautiful, Francis! I love the fragile feel their emotions have at the end ~ just like china. Beth's pleading "would you take me with you?" Mick's acknowlegement of how important she truly is to him. I loved it!
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

o francis,

this is beautiful...the introspection gives us a view of Mick's yearnings. Immortality isn't all it's cracked up to be. He'll never see the wisdom of old age, always lose friends and never have a place to truly call home.

But this
She was his home.
was truly touching. Home is where you make it.

brava
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

Brilliantly done Francis!!!
Jen

Mick's Synful One
bluedahlia3
Rogue vampire
Location: Strolling down a foggy street, collar popped up, emoting cigarette smoke

Post by bluedahlia3 »

Well done, Francis from the beginning scene at the cemetery to the end with Beth, strengthening their bond. Just beautiful. Nicely written. :D
"I'm only wearing black until they come up with something darker." LaCroix
Forever grateful to Trevor Munson for his gift.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

What's that expression... home is where the heart is? Maybe identity is there also.

Mick has kept his heart, and his identity so close to himself... it is interesting to see him contemplate the possibility of putting both of them out there, making himself both vulnerable and, if he has chosen correctly in Beth, indomitable...

What a revelation for our guy.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Thank you for your kind comments.
wpgrace, that's exactly what I wanted to convey. You got it, girl, thank you.
AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by AussieJo »

What everybody else has said, Francis
A lovely story.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Francis, you've captured the tinge of wistful sadness that permeated the best episodes of the show. Mick has lost another tie to the past--and it makes him think back, but in a way it also frees him to look forward. To imagine moving on, really severing himself from the life he's clung to. Because he has another anchor, another strength to call on now. Beth is with him and she would go with him wherever he decided to go. They lend strength to each other, and help each other move forward into the future.

Return to “Francis' Office”