For Better or Worse, G, Champagne Challenge, #154

A place for LaughtersMelody's G to PG-13 stories
LaughtersMelody
Freelance freshie

For Better or Worse, G, Champagne Challenge, #154

Post by LaughtersMelody »

Title: For Better or Worse
Rating: G
Disclaimer: I do not own Moonlight, nor am I making any money from this, though I'm certainly having fun playing with the characters. No infringement intended.
Warnings: None in this one.
Summary: Mick can't help but wonder if he's making the right choice. Future fic.

A/N: Written for Champagne Challenge #154: New Year, New Life.

As always, I thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who is the source of all inspiration.

~*~*~*~*~

For Better or Worse

“I had a feeling I’d find you out here. The ceremony starts in fifteen.”

“I know. I just needed some space.”

“Cold feet? Or would that be warm feet for us? Anyway, can’t say I blame you, considering.”

“It’s not that, Josef. It’s just…it’s complicated. For Coraline and me, things have actually been good lately, you know?”

“Mick, for you two, good is anything that doesn’t result in nuclear winter.”

“Thanks, Josef. Your support means so much. Really.”

“Hey, what are friends for? Seriously, though, you and Coraline have been hashing out your issues with minimal bloodshed for years now. Isn’t that what inspired this whole thing in the first place?”

“It is. But things were good before…the first time, I mean. I was walkin’ on cloud nine. Figured I was the luckiest guy on earth. Never imagined it would be the worst day of my life.”

“And you wonder if that will happen again.”

“Hard not to.”

“Well, you don’t have to worry about her turning you this time, so that’s something.”

“Comforting.”

“I thought so. But if you think you’re rushing things, we’re vampires. Take a century. Take two.”

“No. No, I don’t think we’re rushing things, and I don’t wanna wait.”

“Then why are you out here instead of in there?”

“I told Beth once that Coraline and I weren’t meant to be. I believed it then, too. I guess a part of me can’t help wondering…what if I was right? What if we’re only gonna hurt each other again? I don’t want to lose Coraline. I don’t want to lose what we’ve got right now.”

“Sit out here much longer, second-guessing yourself, and you will lose her.”

“This from the guy who said I was crazy when I told you we were giving it another shot.”

“And I still think that. But it’s your un-death. Look, I’ve watched you and Coraline for decades. Early on, I figured you’d wind up killing each other, or you’d take the Romeo and Juliet route. I was wrong. Shakespearian drama has nothing on you two. She’s killed you, you’ve killed her, she saved you from her psycho family, you saved her from her psycho family…the list goes on and on. Still, no matter what has happened, you’ve always been drawn back to each other somehow. So, you’re either both gluttons for punishment, or whatever it is you’ve got is just too stubborn to die.”

“You really think it will work?”

“With you two? Who knows. But let me put it like this: do you love her?”

“Yeah, I do.”

“Do you imagine yourself wanting to set her on fire again any time soon?”

“…No.”

“Then, there you go.”

“Is that as close to a blessing as we’re gonna get from you?”

“Pretty much. Plus, I shelled out for the bachelor party.”

“I didn’t want a bachelor party.”

“So you said.”

“And you still threw one.”

“What kind of best man would I be if I hadn’t?”

Fin

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: This came about when I realized I’ve written a lot of angst for this fandom, and not much humor, so I wanted to write something a little more lighthearted. Mick still insisted on the angst, but Josef brought sarcasm. Feel free to interpret this as more serious or less serious depending on how you see it, lol. :blinksmile:

Also please feel free to decide just what happened with Beth. It’s meant to be an unspecified future fic - who knows what happened in the intervening years. :blinksmile:

Thank you for reading, and of course, please let me know what you think!

-Laughter
Last edited by LaughtersMelody on Thu May 01, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My Fanfiction Office.

Jesus is Lord.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: For Better or Worse, G, Champagne Challenge, #154

Post by allegrita »

Oh, I really like this! Josef is perfectly snarky, and if Mick weren't a bit angsty, we wouldn't recognize him. :laugh:

I choose not to speculate about what happened to Beth here. I like this story fine on its own. Maybe it's hundreds of years in the future, who knows? But no matter what, Mick and Josef are wonderful here. :teeth:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

It probably took a century or two for Mick and Coraline to get there.
I really like Josef's sarcastic voice and Mick's angsty voice here. :hearts:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

This could happen if Beth has already died or moved on...there always was something drawing Mick and Coraline to one another. Perhaps they learned a few things the first time around.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I could really see this happening. Mick and Coraline do have a magnetic pull

Return to “LaughtersMelody's Office”