Wake, PG, AU, Mick/Coraline

A place for LaughtersMelody's G to PG-13 stories
LaughtersMelody
Freelance freshie

Wake, PG, AU, Mick/Coraline

Post by LaughtersMelody »

Title: Wake
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: I do not own Moonlight, or any of the characters, nor am I making any money from this. I am only playing in someone else's sandbox. No infringement intended.
Warnings: None really, though it's not a happy fic. I tend to be cruel to my favorite characters. *blushes* If anyone feels that this needs any more of a warning, please let me know.
Summary: Sarah Whitely didn’t fail to turn, but someone else did. One-shot. AU.

A/N: I write fan fiction for a number of fandoms, but this is my first Moonlight fic. I've been jumped by many other Moonlight bunnies though, so hopefully, time and inspiration will cooperate.

A/N2: I thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for His goodness and mercy. His blessings never cease to amaze me.

~*~*~*~*~

Wake

It was going to be wonderful.

Coraline could feel it as surely as she could feel Mick’s blood coursing through her body now.

After all, what better time for them to be united forever than on their wedding night? Mick would understand why she’d done it. He wouldn’t be upset with her.

But…but even if he was, he’d forgive her. He would. He always did.

“I’ve given you a gift,” she’d tell him when he woke, “the greatest gift I can give.”

And then she’d sit him down and explain who she really was, what it all meant, and why she’d picked him. She’d guide him through his first feeding, and they’d kiss, celebrating in each other’s arms.

Coraline smiled at the thought, and lay down next to him, studying his features.

Blood covered Mick’s neck, staining the collar of his shirt, and a few drops had rolled down his chest. Another pool of red had formed beside him, soaking into the pillow. His head was still tilted to one side, and his eyes were still open, staring at nothing.

That would change soon. She had turned him a few minutes ago, and it wouldn’t be long now before he joined her.

It wouldn’t be long.

~*~*~*~*~

Twenty minutes later, Coraline was pacing the room, her gaze darting to Mick often, looking for some sign that he was waking.

He hadn’t moved.

A shiver of foreboding skirted down her spine; Coraline pushed it away.

Some people didn’t turn as quickly as others. No one was really sure why, but occasionally, the human body was more resistant to the change.

That was all this was.

It didn’t matter. They’d have an eternity to make up for lost time.

~*~*~*~*~

When a half an hour had gone by, Coraline began to worry.

This had to work. It had to. She loved him, and she didn’t want to live without him. That was why she’d done it, so they could always be together.

Maybe…maybe he just needed some help crossing over. She was certain she’d fed him enough of her blood earlier, but…

Coraline raised her wrist to her mouth again, and bit deeply, then held her arm above Mick’s mouth, using her other hand to gently coax the blood past his lips and down his throat.

“There,” she told him, bending down until her forehead touched his. “It’ll be okay now, Mick, you’ll see. It’ll be okay.”

Mick didn’t answer.

~*~*~*~*~

By the time forty-five minutes had passed, the sun had risen, and Coraline was screaming.

“Mick! Mick! Wake up! Do you hear me? Wake up, Mick!”

She shook him, hard, and his head lolled towards her, his sightless eyes somehow accusing.

Coraline choked back a sob.

~*~*~*~*~

As the first hour came and went, Coraline was begging.

“Mick, please,” she whispered, her voice breaking, her body pressed against his. “Please, wake up. Please. I love you. Please.”

Her words seemed to echo in the silence.

~*~*~*~*~

When the second hour arrived, Coraline’s cheek was resting against the top of Mick’s head as she rocked back and forth, numb.

Mick was in her lap, his arms dangling loosely at his sides. His unbuttoned shirt was bunched up at the back. Coraline reached down to fix it for him, her fingers brushing his still strangely-warm skin.

But he didn’t react to her touch.

And Coraline finally wept.

Fin

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: My first thought when I saw Sarah was, “That could have been Mick."

I hope you enjoyed - is that the right word, lol? - it, and please let me know what you think!

Take care and God bless!

-Laughter
Last edited by LaughtersMelody on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:01 am, edited 5 times in total.

My Fanfiction Office.

Jesus is Lord.
Shadow
Courtesan

Re: Wake, PG, AU, Mick/Coraline

Post by Shadow »

What a great idea for a story, and such a very frightening possibility. What happened to Sarah certainly could have happened to Mick.

Poor Coraline; her anguish over this comes across so clearly. Very nicely done!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Well this alternative outcome would've rather drastically amended MY personal biography... :snicker:

Enjoyed this, Sweetie.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Poor Coraline. :Mickangel: I can't help but wonder if she'll keep Mick in a shrine, as Josef has done with Sarah, or if she'll cut her losses and have the Cleaners finish him off. I honestly don't know which way it would go--when we first met Josef, there was no hint that he had the love of his life tucked away in a brownstone in the West Village... and heaven knows, a stunning loss like this one would change a person. Maybe in very unexpected ways.

Very nicely done. You gave me chills!
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Wow, this story really packs a punch. Very well done! I could feel Coraline's apprehension, her growing suspicion that something was wrong.
I can't help but think that this outcome would have spared Mick a lot of grief, but it would also have a big impact on others and it would prevent him from living and loving. What a pity!
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

What an interesting idea! This could easily have happened to Mick. Imagine how the world would have been different had Mick not woken up....

I love how you told this story from Cora's POV. You have successfully presented her as a sympathetic character. I couldn't help but feel for, and relate to, her.

Congrats on a great first Moonlight fic, Laughter! :clapping: :hearts: I look forward to reading your future stories!
Last edited by Marigold on Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

What a fabulous Christmas present you have given us! Thank you so much!!!

This is at the same time very much the same and very different from what we saw. Here, Coraline is swept up in the romance of a new beginning. Dazzled by the hope of a life of belonging to one who will love her forever for who and what she is. Someone who will understand, share her joys and griefs...

It still bothers me that she didn't tell Mick what she was or give him any kind of a choice in the matter. He adored her so. Had he been given a choice, I think he may well have joined her willingly. Fortunately, the glimpses we saw of Coraline today hinted at the possibility that she may have changed. Grown beyond the individual we saw in clips of 1952.

We know from the show that when Mick finally awoke, the sun was up so it took him hours to make the transition. Coraline could well have gone through many stages like you propose. First elation over what she thought was to come, then a bit of anxiety that turned to dread and all out panic when two hours had passed and he still had not awoken but when Mick did wake up, terrified with this new reality and her plans were back on track, she told him how wonderful it was going to be...

As I see it, at some point after what you wrote, Coraline got a grip on herself. Did Mick show a sign that he was, in fact, transitioning? Was she looking in his eyes and his pupils changed in size or did they flash briefly into the crystaline hue that is characteristic of vampires?

We know that soon, Mick awoke and he was the one who was panicked, aghast at what had occurred and unable to believe what he had become.

Coraline here really cared and I find that fascinating, as the Coraline we have seen in the show was not a sympathetic figure at all. I guess that is understandable as we are seeing her almost exclusively through Mick's eyes and he does not have a lot of objectivity there.

Thank you so much for writing this! Well done!!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Last edited by jen on Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Few times have I ever liked Coraline so much, in the series or in fanfic. And it was great to know it could have been like that, not that I 'd want Mick in any danger,but knowing she had to suffer a tiny bit of what Josef has been through, and that she cared was a very welcome and surprising feeling.

:flowers:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

Denial — Anger — Bargaining — Depression — and working her way toward Acceptance —
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

Interesting perspective.

As warped and selfish as Coraline is, I do believe she thought she was giving Mick a gift. I can see her being very upset that Mick didn't turn quickly.

And may I say I enjoy her suffering.... :devil:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Well, I think that Laughter had it in mind that Mick ended up like Sarah Whitley... thus the "AU" in the thread title. So it wasn't a long wait... it was an endless wait. :Mickangel:
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

Oh! Sorry - my head was clearly in a different place. I guess it was really hard for me to go to the alternate universe of Mick being like Sarah. (Though I always did wonder why Mick so willingly let Josef re-turn him knowing that Sarah had failed to turn.)

I was thinking what was alternate was Coraline's sympathetic treatment - which was wonderfully done by the way. I know Laughter was asking about how long turning took but I kept thinking that Mick hadn't actually died yet and that's why it was taking so long. He isn't in good shape, but I missed any references to heart stopping or not breathing mentions so I wasn't sure if Coraline really turned him or she just thought she had turned him.

I suppose this could have been why Mick's turning seemed it took longer in the series as well. As someone said, it always seemed really messy so maybe it took awhile for him to sanguinate.
LaughtersMelody
Freelance freshie

Post by LaughtersMelody »

Thank you so much everyone for your reviews! I so appreciate them, and I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! My jaw dropped when I saw all of your comments.

:rose:

:heart:

-Laughter

My Fanfiction Office.

Jesus is Lord.
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

Again with the great writing, Laughters. Simple, clean, nothing wasted, everything serving the story. Your view of Coraline certainly matches the one I have of her -- that she really did love Mick, really did intend the turning to be a wonderful surprise that would bring them closer together, that she totally misunderstood the basic nature of her husband.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
diane31
Fledgling

Post by diane31 »

What a chilling possibility! :eek2: :flowers:

I always kind of assumed that Josef and Sarah must have been unlucky, precisely because Coraline did not hesitate to take that risk with Mick. But there are a lot of reasons why she would have taken the risk - knowing that otherwise he would die sooner or later anyway, and her age that would have seemed like in a relatively short time, fear that he would leave her in horror once he realized what she was... And whatever the risk, it certainly could have happened yes! I feel nearly as sorry for her as for Mick...

Great story! :thumbs:

Return to “LaughtersMelody's Office”