ML Locations: Episode 8 - 12:04am

Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

ML Locations: Episode 8 - 12:04am

Post by Lilly »

Moonlight Locations: 12:04am

I will only be listing locations we haven’t seen before.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. PrisonFred C. Nelles Youth Correctional Facility, 11850 Whittier Blvd., Whittier, CA 90601

The Fred C. Nelles Youth Correctional Facility was once the site of the original Whittier State School for Boys, founded in 1891. The Nelles facility closed in 2004 . In 2006, the property was the focus of a dispute between the city of Whittier and the state of California. It is currently being used as a filming location for television and movies while its fate as either a potential federal prison or prison medical facility is being decided.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2. Jerry Drake’s house – Electra Drive, Los Angeles, CA

The private residence is secluded and not visible from the street. I did, however, find it listed anonymously on a film locations website. The site is used by film industry professionals to find suitable filming venues that meet their various criteria. There are almost 80 photos of the house and grounds posted here: Link

Entrance:

3. City Hall / DA Quinlan’s office

The fly-in shot is of Los Angeles City Hall.

The location used for the interior scenes is unknown.

4. Church exterior – Hollywood United Methodist Church, 6817 Franklin Avenue, Los Angeles, CA

This church was used only for the “fly in” or establishing shot.

I just happened to catch the very top of the church in this shot from my hotel window in April. At the time, I had no idea I was staying next door to church used for the exterior. Go figure.

Church interior – not yet identified. I do know, from viewing the Hollywood United Methodist Church’s website, that it’s not the same church as above.

Information will be updated and pictures added as they become available.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: ML Locations: Episode 8 - 12:04am

Post by allegrita »

So cool, Lilly--you've really done your homework! :hug: :hug: :hug:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Thanks, Alle. This episodes has as many unanswered questions as answered ones, but I have to admit -- Jerry Drake's house was one of the "Holy Grail" locations for me. That one took a LOT of work.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

Yes, I went into that church and it's not the inside in 12:04, just the exterior. I was disappointed because it was locked and the manager of the church opened it for me for a few minutes. He probably thought I wanted to pray in there (well, I lead him on like I did). But I wanted just to check out the interior.

Is there anything about that "Drake" house that isn't utterly fantastic? Very cool. There is probably a view from the toilet, too. It has has a view of downtown LA and Century City. Magnificent!

It's a short walk to the "fever" alley and a short drive to Jack Toland's house from that church. So it would make a nice walking tour, plus the Highland Center is near there, too.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

First let me tell you that I'm totally in awe of your P.I. skills.

Of course the interior wouldn't be that of the methodist church. I guess the exterior was great because you see on first glance that it's a church, but there are no confessionals in a methodist church. You might want to look for a catholic one, and from the photo I would guess built in the 1920s or 1930s. Before that, they still went with the neo-gothic look, but this one is more modern, without the columns and high stained glass windows. The church I go to has the same style, but sadly is in Germany so it can't be the same... but it was built in 1927.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

I agree about the house, helloeeze. :happysigh: The view of downtown LA and Century City is what helped me pinpoint the location. It was too had to tell from the screencaps, but once I saw the outdoor photos on the location website, I got a better idea of how the house had to be situated.

Thanks, francis. :rose: And thanks for the tips on the church. :hug:

The Hollywood United Methodist has been used in numerous films going back many years. I thought that perhaps the production company might have been allowed to bring in a prop confessional for shooting, but the interior is much more grand than the small-ish church we saw in the show. I'll certainly keep your suggestions in mind while I keep hunting. :thumbs:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Lilly.

As always, your detective work is fabulous and gives us a better view of places and buildings we only got a a glimpse of. I've been studying the image of the church interior. At first, I thought it might be a set that is used for 'church scenes', but if it is, the level of detail (down to the Easter candle and the stations of the cross) is awfully good. So I don't think it's a set.

Looking at the small number of pews though, would lead me to believe that this is either a chapel of some kind (perhaps off a larger cathedral) or a small mission church. Guesstimate is that the church would hold 100 to 150 people based on the number of pews and the number of people per per. Note the statues behind Mick in the entrance way, indicating that the entrance to the building is off to the side somewhere.

ETA - I'll agree with francis that it's not Methodist. Trust me, it's Catholic. also agree about the architectural style
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Another thought on the church...I still think it's a chapel, but one possibly associated with a school. This other screencap shows the entrance way to the church from another angle, one that gives you a clear view of the hallway leading to another part of the building.

This looks like something from my high school....

darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Yes, a school or a hospital or a cloister. The saints at the back wall are St. Francis and probably St. Josef or St. Peter (can't make out what he's wearing in his hands, a lily or keys). And in the hallway there's probably Jesus with the Sacred Heart.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Wonderful clues, ladies! Mick would be so proud. :hearts:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

That's some house, Lilly. It all reminds just how much work went into making ML as good as it could possibly be. Which makes those frikkin' ice cubes even more of a travesty.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

Just watched a "buddy comedy" with Paul Rudd and the guy from Forgetting Sarah Marshal. Paul Rudd was a Real Estate agent selling Lou Ferrigno's home.

When the shot opened and I saw a bronze statue of Lou Ferrigno I was struck by the fact it was the house from 12:04. I sat back and thought about 12:04 all over again.

Wish I could remember the current Movie's name.......
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Is it "I Love You, Man"? Paul Rudd and Jason Segel? I looove that house!
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

allegrita wrote:Is it "I Love You, Man"? Paul Rudd and Jason Segel? I looove that house!

YES...yes it was. I recognized it immediately, it's funny they took the one sculpture down and moved in "Lou".

Return to “Moonlight Locations”