ML Locations: Episode 13 - Fated to Pretend

Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

ML Locations: Episode 13 - Fated to Pretend

Post by Lilly »

Moonlight Locations: Fated to Pretend

I will only be listing locations we haven’t seen before.

Updated 5/31/2010: Alle's photos of pier and beach added.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Pier* – Paradise Cove Pier, 28128 W. Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA 90265

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2. Beach* – Paradise Cove Beach, 28128 W. Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA 90265

The picnic scene was filmed at a private beach in Malibu. Although the info is a bit dated, there are some photos of the beach here: Link

An interesting note about this beach is that they do not allow surfboards on the property. I guess that holds even for film shoots, because if you look carefully there are no boards in the background shots. Even though it turned out to be a delightful foreshadowing of the doughnut scene later on, this may explain the big pink tube being carried by one of the beach beauties.

3. Maureen’s apartment* – Villa Malibu, 6487 Cavalleri Road, Malibu, CA 90265 Link:Website

These apartments are located just north of the Pacific Coast Highway and northwest of Paradise Cove Beach.

4. Rosslyn Hotel - Rosslyn Hotel/Studios, 112 W. 5th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90013 Link: Website

5. Rosslyn Hotel, interior/Morrow Campaign headquarters - ?, Warner Bros. Studios, Burbank, CA

6. Doughnut Diet Guru’s office – ?, Warner Bros. Studios, Burbank, CA

7. Luis Perez’s houseMidwest Street, Warner Bros. Studios backlot, Burbank, CA

This is the same Midwest St. house that was used for Hank Mottola’s house in The Ringer.

(Photo from WB website)

The house is now painted a subtle gray-green color rather than the bright yellow it once was and they've taken down the white picket fence.

8. Rosslyn Hotel, rooftop - see above

At least some of this scene was shot on the roof of the Rosslyn. I’m not sure about the edge shots, though – they may have been recreated elsewhere and a green screen used for background.

(Image from Bing maps)

9. Street scene - French Street, Warner Bros. Studios backlot, Burbank, CA

(Photo from WB website)

(Photo from WB website)

The green storefront was painted white when the episode was filmed (you can see it behind Beth above) and the black trim on the brown store to right was also white at that time.

10. Anders’ office –

11. Anders lab – ?, Warner Bros. Studios, Burbank, CA

12. Roof top – Sound stage (with green screen), Warner Bros. Studios, Burbank, CA

* Credit for info on the pier, beach and Maureen’s apartment goes to MyImmortal, who I believe was able to obtain the locations from production call sheets.

Information will be updated and pictures added as they become available.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: ML Locations: Episode 13 - Fated to Pretend

Post by darkstarrising »

Wow, Lilly!! As always, this is fabulous!!! :hug: Especially appreciated the info on the Rosslyn. It does look as though some of it was shot on the rooftop, but I think you're right about the edge shots being shot in a studio....
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Thanks, dsr.

For the closeups, the sound was really clear (of course it could have been re-dubbed) and there didn't seem to be any wind in Mick's hair. I guess the actors could've been tethered up there, but that just seems a little risky. :eek2:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Fabulous as always. Thanks so much, Lilly.

The info on Paradise Cove is fascinating - private beaches are virtually unheard-of in the UK as they are all owned by the nation. The Rosslyn Hotel site is great too - and the apartments are certainly more affordable than at the FoS! But it's that neon sign that is the standout - a masterpiece of its kind.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Ooooh, thank you Lilly! Here are some pictures from a visit I made to Paradise Cove in April, 2009.

The beach looking in the direction Mick walked from:

Looking toward the pier, the approximate location of Mick's and Beth's picnic:
Note that one of the people by the water has a skimboard; it looks like a small surfboard, but it's just used in the shallow water on the beach.

The pier. The hot dog stand (brought in for the shoot) was in the corner where the pier widens. Notice that they had to really use clever shooting angles, because there was no evidence on the show that there's a restaurant there!

And finally, not from the show, but here's the front area of the restaurant at Paradise Cove:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Oh they are great shots, alle. :thanks:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Oh, Alle -- you were there! :hearts: How wonderful!! Thank you so much for posting these! :hug:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

:happysigh:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Come on out... I'll take you... :teeth:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Thanks, sweetie! :smooch:

And, I just added a couple of your pics to the first post. :thumbs: Hope that's OK with you.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

nothing better than a ML tour! Thanks!
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

Again, Lilly, thanks so much for this. It really makes the show come alive again. And thanks for the photos, Alle. You must have been pinching yourself to be standing so close to where our 'Mick' was!
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Glad you're enjoying the tour, ladies. I'm going to make every effort to get all of the episodes up before the reruns start airing on the CW. :thumbs:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

That's so fabulous, Lilly and allegrita. :hearts:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Another amazing job, Lilly! I always look at these and go, oh, yeah...but I would never figure them out on my own.

Lucky

Return to “Moonlight Locations”