Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 4: Fever

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 4: Fever

Post by GuardianAngel »

Episode Four: Fever

Summary: Two undercover officers are killed while protecting a witness. Fearing there's a mole, Josh hires Mick to find the witness and bring her back. Mick's able to locate her in the desert, but gets too much sunlight. On the verge of death, Mick needs blood to survive. Meanwhile Josh and Beth find out Mick's car has been destroyed, while Josh tries to find the mole, Beth worries that Mick may be dead.

Okay people, here we go. Things are really heating up. We're up to one of my favorite episodes here.

We start off with flashes of a very sick looking Mick in a a mucho grodie bathroom and a VO asking what he is supposed to do when the one thing he needs to save his life is the one thing that would make life unbearable.

And then we see a flash of Mick feeding from Beth.

Okay, they have our attention. Then Mick states that we must be wondering how someone like him winds up in no star motel hell out in the middle of nowhere.

Ummm, yeah, we're wondering. Mick goes ahead and explains that it all started yesterday.

Mick's VO continues, telling us how blood is life, for vamps and humans. Vamps envy humans because they make their own blood. We watch Mick drink his blood.

And a buzzwire interview catches his attention. It's Beth talking about a millionaire arms dealer, Amir Fayed who is going to trial for shooting Jack Tolland and A.D.A. Josh Lindsey who is the prosecutor on the case.

We then see Josh and Beth in bed together, discussing the interview and case. Beth wants to know why Josh seems so confident and she guesses that he has a secret witness.

Skip to a safehouse where, a young woman is being watched over by two detectives.

She's bored, steals on of the cop's phone and locks herself into a room and makes a phone call.

There's someone at the door. A guy who says he's a neighbor. He shoots the cop at the peephole and storms in.

Both cops are killed but the young woman manages to climb through a window and gets away.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Re: Fever (Episode Four)

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

They surely did grab us with that beginning, didn't they? I remember viewing it for the first time thinking "WTF? He's feeding off of Beth's neck??" This episode 'sealed the deal' for me with ML. I was already hooked, this just confirmed it.

That last photo of the burn-out dude is great!!
bluedahlia3
Rogue vampire
Location: Strolling down a foggy street, collar popped up, emoting cigarette smoke

Post by bluedahlia3 »

This is a great episode. I thought the beginning was very different from the stuff shown in previous shows but by the time he starts reflecting about Beth...nice. Plus the music really set the tempo. :yahoo:
"I'm only wearing black until they come up with something darker." LaCroix
Forever grateful to Trevor Munson for his gift.
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

Yes, the one that started my obsession! Fevah! I was disappointed that Sci-Fi cut out the chit-chat in the bathroom when Mick and Leni talk about children and what she'll name her kid. Stupid commercials! :x

My mom watched it with me and the first thing she says..."What are those things in the tub with him?" LMAO!! Well, they are supposed to be ice cubes, but they are wax cubes since they wanted to spend the money for the chopper blowing up the police car. Hee!

Did ya'll hear Mick go, "Hey..." when he walked over to Leni in the restaurant's doorway. GAH, that is sexy! It's very deep and gutteral sounding. Go listen to it! :thud:

Also, Jordan/Josh sure looked yummy in this ep too and one of my fave moments in the entire show...is when he punches the jerk leaking the info. Josh went from "Cute guy." to "YUM!"

I just love the chemistry with Mick and Leni. It's so adorably cute. She liked Mick and cared about him in a little sister sort of way. :)
*Christy*

coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

I was a fan of ML from ep 1 but it was Fever that had me hooked. I've watched this episode way too many times :snicker:
I don't think there has been a better beginning to an ep than this one. The shot of Mick feeding from Beth's neck left me wondering what was going on and I couldn't wait to find out how the episode was going to play out :thumbs:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
bluedahlia3
Rogue vampire
Location: Strolling down a foggy street, collar popped up, emoting cigarette smoke

Post by bluedahlia3 »

I liked the missing scene too! I thought it helped cement the bond between Leni and Mick. The whole 'maybe you should name him Jack' was touching. :type:
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Seriously? They didn't keep that scene in last night? What is up with that.

I only watched the first 15 minutes--my husband was with me saying "Oh no, not again, even I have seen this episode about 8 times." So, in the interest of marital harmony, I switched the channel to Friday Night Lights.
It is Valentine's Day after all!
bluedahlia3
Rogue vampire

Post by bluedahlia3 »

I got lucky I guess. My husband called me as he was leaving work, and said there was no 'junk' food in the house (he loves popcorn) and he'd be stopping so we could sit and munch during TV. Afterall he added, it was Moonlight Friday. :thumbs: Cute...kind of nice to have a guy who loves ML too.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

My husband puts up with my obsession rather nicely, too. However, when he saw me on the computer the other day perusing Alex pix, he said "Oh, leave that poor man alone already!"

Had to laugh, and then thought "Never!"
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Like many of you, I already liked Moonlight with the first three episodes, but Fever really hooked me. The opening was great, letting you know what was coming before you got there. I was also disappointed with Sci-Fi deleting the scene between Mick and Leni....I loved the way he looked her straight in the eye promising to get her back safely. And yes, I could have survived very nicely with one fewer Battlestar Galactica add during Moonlight (10 wasn't enough?)

What was so touching was how this episode is the beginning of the end for Josh. Early in Fever, Beth and Josh are still an item, but he starts to drop hints to Mick about just how much Beth is impressed with him and that there is 'Never a dull moment' around Mick. Josh senses competition.

But the look on Beth's face, first when Mick feeds from her wrist, then when Josh kisses that same wrist is just so telling....she's falling.

the poignancy of the last scene, "It has to stop" really tore at me....hence the banner.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Yes, the one that started my obsession! Fevah! I was disappointed that Sci-Fi cut out the chit-chat in the bathroom when Mick and Leni talk about children and what she'll name her kid. Stupid commercials!
I thought that scene was missing. I thought it was my fault that I missed it somehow. That was a bad pick to take out. It's such a warm scene. You should name him Jack, Jack's a good name. *swoon* Not his forte. Is he crazy?!

I also liked the cozy, domestic scene with Josh and Beth in bed with both their laptops. I thought it was probably a good depiction of what most of their nights are like and they are so at peace with each other. Josh really wasn't a bad catch. It's not his fault he's just not Mick.
Last edited by GuardianAngel on Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Exactly GA. And therein lies the problem: Josh is a good guy. If he wasn't, it would have been so much easier for Beth to make a choice between the 2 of them. Josh being a great catch made it all the more difficult, and created the angst that was necessary for the success of the show. But there is no competing with Mick, none whatsoever, and Beth and Josh did what they could, but it was a losing effort the second that man walked into her life. And after he fed from her, forget it. It was a done deal.
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:Seriously? They didn't keep that scene in last night? What is up with that.

I only watched the first 15 minutes--my husband was with me saying "Oh no, not again, even I have seen this episode about 8 times." So, in the interest of marital harmony, I switched the channel to Friday Night Lights.
It is Valentine's Day after all!
Ahh, but you see, it wasn't Valentine's Day...it was Friday the 13th. So in the spirit of the freaky day, vampires SHOULD have been on TV. It's only right...ya know...for the universe and all. :thumbs:
*Christy*

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

My brother was at my house last night and I made him watch. He wasn't thrilled with the romantic aspect of the show but he thought Beth was pretty hot and said Mick was a 'pretty cool dude'. I wish he had gotten a chance to meet Josef. I really think he would like Josef. Oh well, next time.

Mick is getting ready for bed.

His VO says that some couples just aren't meant to be together. Like he and Beth. She has a boyfriend and, after Coraline, he has trust issues. Still, whenever Beth calls, he answers.

He hadn't heard from Beth in a week. Since he'd explained how his wife Turned him on their wedding night. Now she wants to come over, with Josh to discuss something. So Mick gets ready for them.

He doesn't look all that happy.

Josh explains that he thinks there's a leak in his office so he wants Mick to find his escaped witness and bring her back. There's a lot of glances going on.

Mick agrees to do it.

I can't help but wonder why it's taken a whole week for Beth and Mick to speak. Do you think Beth was put off by Mick's story? I don't think so. Maybe it's more that Beth is feeling the pull of Mick's charm. She's got a boyfriend. She shouldn't be so attracted to Mick. I think it's more that she had no reason to speak with him other than she wanted to. She was probably looking to pull back. And, umm, Mick didn't call her either.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I find a bit of a disconnect between "when Beth calls, I always pick up" and the very tenuous nature of their relationship at this time. How many times has she called him before? Very few...that we know of. And he'd just said he hadn't heard from her since they spoke at her doorway.

I do think, from what he says later in the street, that he was very reluctant to make any moves toward contacting her. After the stakes in the heart, and the incinerator...he's not really seeing himself as an attractive person she'd want to talk to, see, whatever.

Lucky

Return to “Episode Discussion”