Post by heartagram_lala »

[x]Title: Forever
[x]Author: Heartagram_LaLa
[x]Rating: PG
[x]Warning: None
[x]Pairing: Mick/Beth
[x]Genre: Angst
[x]Words: 639
[x]Spoilers: Ep 1 - There's no such thing as vampires.
[x]Summary: Set after Ep 1 - Mick's thoughts about immortality and what that means for relationships with humans
[x]Disclaimer: Not my toys, im just borrowing them =D

Forever for a human means a lifetime, forever for a vampire means many lifetimes. Watching those you come to care about constantly dying before your from-afar watching eyes.

Forever starts from the moment you are turned, and lasts many a human lifetime, right up until the moment you are killed.

And it is never pleasant, never quick and painless, being a vampire means the only way to die is to be murdered, brutally.

The fear of death for a human is something that only attacks later in life, when you know that your time is coming to an end, even if you avoid all the evil in the world, a natural death is unavoidable for a human, but the fear of death for a vampire is always there and never there all at once.

You feel powerful and invincible because you know that time is not a slow killer for you, time is irrelevant. You know, often through experience, that taking a bullet hurts like hell but it isn’t life threatening, getting stabbed feels just like getting stabbed but we heal quickly and move on without a second thought.

But there is still the fear of those that know our secret. A fear of those that know of silver and fire and decapitation.

A quite plausible and realistic fear of being murdered.

That is above all why we hide what we are. If people knew that we were immortal in the natural sense, and knew that we had super human strength, they would panic. They would seek us out and hunt us like never before. They would know our secrets and come after us with silver bullets and fire throwers, they would kill with no mercy or guilt.

Living for eternity means living in the shadows.

There is no room for human friends, or relationships and acquaintances can last no longer then a few years, and it is often easier to just stay away from humans, then to let yourself care and then to have to pull yourself away time and time again, ripping your undead heart into tiny little pieces.

That is why I always watched over Beth from afar, never letting her see me or know I existed, but always being there to protect her if she needed me.

But I screwed up, I lingered on the edges of the fountain too long and she saw me.

The flash or recognition that crossed her face let me know I needed to vanish but there was something about her, something I had always known existed but never seen up close, she was entrancing, I couldn’t look away or move, and I let her speak to me.

A big mistake, because talking to her made me feel closer to her then ever before, and I knew that the clock had started ticking. The time limit that a vampire can be under the watch of an aging human had begun, and it had begun all too soon for my liking.

I knew that I must cherish the next few years, if Beth wanted to allow me to play a part in her life then I would, but I would always be watchful, making sure she wasn’t getting too close or figuring anything out by my behaviour, but I also dreaded the moment that I would need to walk out of her life.

I always have and always will love her, but I know we can never be. She is human, I am not, that’s all there is too it.

Eternity was a long time, it was quite literally forever.

But it is made even longer wanting someone you know you can never have, and watching them grow old and frail and die, knowing you could stop it, you could save them, but knowing turning them would be worse then death.

---end---

Comments make my day!
Last edited by heartagram_lala on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Forever - Mick/Beth - ONESHOT

Post by francis »

Oh, this was well done. Mick's musings about the difference of time and eternity for a human and a vampire. Very gripping.
A big mistake, because talking to her made me feel closer to her then ever before, and I knew that the clock had started ticking. The time limit that a vampire can be under the watch of an aging human had begun, and it had begun all too soon for my liking.
It makes sense that at this point in time Mick would think in this terms, planning ahead on leaving her some time, not being able in a decade or so to see her again ever. He pushed that time further and further, staying in the shadows, but now it has started. And he regrets it already. Soon Beth will learn his secret and that concern will no longer hold.
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

The word "inevitable" keeps running through my head after reading this. He'd stayed away this long -- what changed? Was it even his decision, or something out of the universe? He may never know, we may never know, but I'm glad Mick's world tilted a little when Beth walked over to him -- We got to enjoy the results!

(But can I just damn CBS again for cutting this show loose? I still harbor some bitterness about it, but I'm working through it. These fics help, so thanks.)
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
heartagram_lala
Fledgling

francis wrote:Oh, this was well done. Mick's musings about the difference of time and eternity for a human and a vampire. Very gripping.
It makes sense that at this point in time Mick would think in this terms, planning ahead on leaving her some time, not being able in a decade or so to see her again ever. He pushed that time further and further, staying in the shadows, but now it has started. And he regrets it already. Soon Beth will learn his secret and that concern will no longer hold.
Can i just say you hit the nail on the head here? lol. but yeah, he won't need to worry about leaving her ever again, not that i think he ever would have been able to anyway.
heartagram_lala
Fledgling

Moonlighter wrote:The word "inevitable" keeps running through my head after reading this. He'd stayed away this long -- what changed? Was it even his decision, or something out of the universe? He may never know, we may never know, but I'm glad Mick's world tilted a little when Beth walked over to him -- We got to enjoy the results!

(But can I just damn CBS again for cutting this show loose? I still harbor some bitterness about it, but I'm working through it. These fics help, so thanks.)
Them meeting was definitely inevitable, if it wasn't at the fountain it would have been when Mick followed her somewhere and subconsciously let her see him, or when she found herself in trouble and he came to the rescue. And his world didn't just tilt, she turned it on it's head, which is good coz he needed to get out of his funk! lol.

And i too hate CBS... stupid fuckers! lol. Fanfic is helping me through the DT's too, so i'm only glad to help =D
jen
Cleaner

Re: Forever - Mick/Beth - ONESHOT - PG

Post by jen »

This is a lovey description of the early MickBeth angst.

Personally, I believe that they would move beyond it, see that the love they had for each other was precious, rare, and special enough to fight for.

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
heartagram_lala
Fledgling

jen wrote:This is a lovey description of the early MickBeth angst.

Personally, I believe that they would move beyond it, see that the love they had for each other was precious, rare, and special enough to fight for.

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :flowers:
Once again, ITA with you =D

thanks for the comment again =D
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

heartagram_lala wrote:But it is made even longer wanting someone you know you can never have, and watching them grow old and frail and die, knowing you could stop it, you could save them, but knowing turning them would be worse then death.
So true, so sad!!So Mick!! I can picture him lighting that lighter on and off and thinking all those heavy thoughts!!
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .

Return to “heartagram_lala's Office”