Bittersweet, G, Mick POV, Champagne Challenge #138

A place for LaughtersMelody's G to PG-13 stories
LaughtersMelody
Freelance freshie

Bittersweet, G, Mick POV, Champagne Challenge #138

Post by LaughtersMelody »

Title: Bittersweet
Rating: G
Disclaimer: I do not own Moonlight, nor am I making any money from this. No infringement intended.
Warnings: None in this one.
Summary: Mick had thought he’d known what to expect when he’d taken the cure.

A/N: Written for Champagne Challenge #138, Still Human...So Human.

As always, I thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who is the source of all inspiration.

~*~*~*~*~

Bittersweet

Mick had thought he’d known what to expect when he’d taken the cure.

At least, he’d had a basic idea of what it would mean. He’d seen how it worked in Coraline after all, sensed her mortality, felt the life flowing through her veins.

Experiencing the cure for himself…it was just as incredible as he’d imagined, everything he’d hoped for and more. But the explosion of flavors on his tongue when he ate, the warmth of the sun on his skin...that was only the beginning.

He was just starting to realize how much he’d forgotten.

He was afraid of heights.

He wasn’t a morning person (though he made himself get up anyway, not wanting to miss the daylight).

Hot showers were a luxury.

He liked peanut butter and jelly.

There were other things too, intangible things that were hard to put into words.

He’d always cared about people. He’d never been up for sainthood - not beyond his name, at least - but he couldn’t walk away if somebody needed his help. He remembered childhood fights with schoolyard bullies, running errands for Mrs. Sinclair, the elderly lady who’d lived across the street…and later, during the War, being relieved that he’d been chosen for medic duty because he’d wanted to save lives instead of taking them.

As a vampire, he’d still had those memories, but all of that had seemed like another lifetime. It had been another lifetime.

With the cure…it didn’t seem that far off anymore.

He didn’t have to worry about bloodlust reducing the world to shades of red, or predatory instinct making him feel more like an animal than a man.

There were times in the past when he’d wondered just how much of that man was left.

Was he still the same Mick St. John who’d checked into the hotel with Coraline that night, happily married and dreaming of the future?

Or, as vampire, was he someone else? Something else?

He'd always struggled with that idea, because, even though most vampire lore was a joke, there was one thing all the old legends had in common.

A vampire always lost his soul.

Now that he was starting to remember just what it felt like to be human…Mick couldn’t help but wonder if that were true.

Fin

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: I hope you enjoyed it, and please let me know what you think! :blinksmile:

-Laughter
Last edited by LaughtersMelody on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My Fanfiction Office.

Jesus is Lord.
Marigold
Courtesan

Re: Bittersweet, G, Mick POV, Champagne Challenge #138

Post by Marigold »

LaughtersMelody wrote:A vampire always lost his soul.

Now that he was starting to remember just what it felt like to be human…Mick couldn’t help but wonder if that were true.
Fascinating idea! :notworthy:

If Mick does believe that he lost his soul when he became a vampire, I hope he feels as though he got it back when he became a human. Perhaps, in his eyes, he will be able to retain his soul when he becomes a vampire once again.

Well done, Laughter! :rose: This is a great response to the challenge!
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

What poignant thoughts. Anyone can see what a beautiful soul Mick has. I hope this experience of humanity helps him learn to believe in his own goodness.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Mick lost so much when he became a vampire,but he also lost some limitations like his fear of hights.
I love the concept of time here, he forgot so much but it all seems to come back and not be that far off now.
Will he be able to keep his soul intact now when he changes back to a vampire? He did it to safe the life of Beth, that has to count for something.
Love this story! :hearts:
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Lovely story, LM! Maybe these short six days of humanity gave been a lot more than we thought for Mick. After all, it was not just his different senses and his experiencing things as a mortal that came back..He must have had a chance to remember ..to dive into his soul he had considered lost. I do hope he knows now, he still has an amazingly caring soul to depend on..when he returns.

Great take on the challenge! :flowers:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

Loved this reflection....of course what we go through makes us what we are...... and you've illustrated that while some things lurk under the surface (PB & J) times change us.

Thanks for sharing
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This is wonderful!

Mick forgot so much about his humanity after being Turned. His new senses and abilities were never never entirely accepted, but he lived with them and learned to work within their parameters. While there is no question that for a time, he tried embracing them with Coraline, the fact that he elected eventually to use them as a positive force in the world, to help if he could, to build rather than destroy, tells us a lot about his soul. He may have gone into darkness for a while, but didn't choose to stay there.

Thank you so much for this lovely answer to the challenge!!!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I'm glad Mick felt close to his humanity again and I hope he realizes that vampire Mick and human Mick can both be wonderful people.
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

This is great. Mick's experience of the Cure allows him to distinguish what parts of himself are himself and not the vampire. He's beginning to think that his choice of PI work isn't just as penance, but that it reflects his own human values, which makes it more precious. You know, there were a lot of comments at the time about how his character changed when we got the last 4 eps after the writers strike. This sort of musing would provide enough of an explanation for me. Having 'reclaimed' those caring, human parts of himself that still exist, he could let go of some of the angst. Another good job!
Banner by the talented Hot Micks

Return to “LaughtersMelody's Office”