The Car Ride Home - One Shot (G)

A place for MickLifeCrisis' G to PG-13 stories
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

The Car Ride Home - One Shot (G)

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Disclaimer: I do not own Moonlight, any of its characters or any of its dialogue.
Rated: G
Characters: Mick and Beth

The Car Ride Home

“You need to get some rest. I’m going to take you home, okay?”

Sixty years is a long time to deny yourself the touch of another. But you do it. Because you just can’t bear the thought of seeing yourself as a monster in someone else’s eyes.

She fell into his strong arms, grateful for the safety they offered. Slowly, tentatively, he put his arms around her, expecting her to pull away at any moment. Certain that she could somehow sense the monster he hid within.

But she only relaxed into his embrace. And so he did the same. Resting his head on her shoulder, he closed his eyes, imprinting the moment indelibly in his mind. He wished it would never end.

But it did. Beth pulled back and looked a little embarrassed as they stood there awkwardly.

“I’ll get my keys,” Mick said, breaking the silence. Beth nodded.

“I’ll grab my…oh no!” she gasped.

Mick was instantly on alert. “What’s wrong? What is it?”

“My purse! I left it in that boiler room!”

“I’ll get it back for you tomorrow, don’t worry about it.”

“But my keys! My phone! Everything was in there!”

“It’s okay, really,” Mick assured her. “I’ll get everything back, I promise.”

“But how…?”

“I’m a private detective, remember? Besides, I had a few words with that snake of a professor. I don’t think he’ll be bothering anyone again.” Beth looked skeptical. “Relax, it’s okay. Trust me.”

Beth stared at him a moment, then nodded. He opened his door for her and they stepped out into the hallway. They rode down the elevator in silence. As soon as Beth stepped out into the parking garage her eyes darted all around her and into the dark corners, expecting the professor or his assistant to pop out at any moment. Mick sensed her panic and without a word he took her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. She smiled up at him, wondering how he knew. He held her hand the rest of the way to his car.

The ride started out in silence, each lost in their own thoughts. Beth wondered if she should trust this man she barely knew, who so violently attacked the young TA. Yet she knew she could. She didn’t know how she knew, only that it felt right. Go with your gut, her boss Maureen was always telling her. And her gut was saying this private investigator with the air of mystery about him was trustworthy. And he had saved her life, at risk of his own. She glanced over at him.

Mick stared straight ahead. He was beginning to think that showing himself to Beth after all this time was a bad idea. Josef had wanted him to stop Beth from writing anything more about vampires. Even gave him “fielder’s choice” to silence her permanently. What would he say if he knew that not only had he saved her life, but brought her to his apartment and shared a very close hug? Josef didn’t believe in hugging any human that wasn’t also food.

Ah, the hug. A human hug. There was an electricity to it; a connection between them that he wasn’t expecting. She just might be someone I can trust. He glanced over at Beth and caught her eye.

“How…”

“Thank…”

Their laughter melted away the silence. “You go first,” Beth insisted.

“I was just going to ask how you were feeling. Any better?”

“Yes, a little. Not nearly as groggy. But I still have a headache,” Beth replied.

“A good night’s sleep should help that. Now your turn. What were you going to say?”

“I wanted to thank you for rescuing me from that… that…”

“As I said before, it didn’t exactly take Superman.”

“You certainly seemed like Superman to me.”

Mick’s hands tensed on the steering wheel. Other than saying she saw him remove the screwdriver from his abdomen, what else did she remember seeing? How fast I ran to catch up to the car? Jumping onto the moving car and breaking the window to grab Daniel? Getting up after being thrown across the parking lot? Tossing Daniel into the air with one hand?

“Oh?” he said lightly, playing it cool. “And why is that?”

“If you were able to carry me from the car up to your apartment, you must be Superman!” she laughed. “I’ve been gaining weight ever since I started working at Buzzwire – all that junk food.”

Mick relaxed and smiled. “Don’t be ridiculous. It was no trouble at all,” he said as they both laughed. He pulled the car up to the curb and stopped. “We’re here.” He hopped out and opened her door, helping her step out of the car.

“Thanks for the ride. You don’t have to walk me up. I’ll be okay.”

“And what kind of gentleman would I be if I didn’t walk you to your door? Besides, you said you don’t have your key,” he said as they kept walking.

“And what can you do about that?”

Mick grinned. “I’m a PI. I have certain talents.” And in less than a minute he had her door unlocked. “I’ll come by tomorrow and bring you your car and personal belongings.”

“Are you sure it won’t be too much trouble?”

“It will be my pleasure.” And give me a reason to see you again, he thought to himself.

“Thanks again. For everything,” Beth said as she stepped into her apartment.

Mick nodded then turned and walked away from her door.

Beth watched him go, then shut her door and locked it. I’ll have to think of something to give him for saving me from that creep. She stopped suddenly and looked at the closed door. Oh my god! How did he know where I live?

The End.
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Re: The Car Ride Home - One Shot (G)

Post by librarian_7 »

Ooooh, nice. Great interpretation of that scene. I've always loved the way he just melts into Beth's hug. It's so telling.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Thanks, Lucky! I'm happy you liked it. :flowers:

Yes, one of the best hug scenes ever. :hug:
MickLifeCrisis
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Nice, MLC, very nice. Fits perfectly. I'm a sucker for these fill-in scenes.

I like the transition from awkward to friends. After that hug Mick was hooked for sure. No wonder he wasn't thinking straight - unintentionally letting on that he knew where she lived. :teeth: And I'm sure Beth was still in a haze, what with the drug, and Mick.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Ooh, what an awesome fill-in-the-blanks story! :hearts: I imagine that was a pretty awkward ride home... :blushing: :dizzy: but it makes me very happy that he held her hand to help her feel better. :hearts:

And I love that he knew where she lived and was too caught up in the moment to fake that he didn't. :snicker: :heart:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I keep thinking he would have shrugged and told her it was standard PI practice...find out whatever you can about someone you've been breaking and entering with. :teeth:
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

That due diligence / PI 101, eh? :laugh:

Thanks for reading and commenting! :kiss:
MickLifeCrisis
BlueEyedMonster
Fledgling

Post by BlueEyedMonster »

Very nicely done MLC. I was so caught up in the story I didn't realize until the end Beth never said where she lived. Perfect :hearts:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I love that this is such a perfect balance of awkward and comfortable. They are more comfortable with each other than they are comfortable with. And the last statement brings it back to the awkward. Of course he could explain it away, but she's a good reporter and will remember.
I love missing scenes and I love that this brings me right back into the Show.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Thanks BEM and francis. I'm glad you liked it!

:ghug:
MickLifeCrisis
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Very nice!!!

Right now, my dominant thought is that I want more--Mick doesn't wait but goes back to the basement of Chandler Hall that night. It isn't hard to find the room where the professor lead her after the study group to 'talk' but there was no purse. It only took a few minutes to follow the scent of a janitor who'd found it but hadn't opened it...

Sorry. I tend to get swept up in the story.

Wonderful piece.

Thank you!

Jenna
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “MickLifeCrisis' Office”