Reckoning (vignette, M/C, PG)

A place for redwinter101's G to PG-13 stories
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Reckoning (vignette, M/C, PG)

Post by redwinter101 »

Thank you, sweetie. :smooch:
PNWgal wrote:
But I feel honesty in her words, her touch, her need. Maybe that's what it all comes down to - she's run out of options and landed on the truth.
Sometimes the truth is so hard to face, one takes an infinite amount of journeys. But, sooner or later...that's where you end up.
I loved this. I don't think Coraline was ever one for self-examination, until she was left with no choice. Her man had tried to kill her, her most desperate actions had left her alone and somehow that had resulted in her voluntarily giving up her immortality (even if only temporarily). The woman who was pure, exultant vampire had become human again and that had to be the result of some serious soul-searching.

It's that kind of character complexity that made her so valuable to the show - and so missed during the final four IMO.

Red :flowers:

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Agreed, wholeheartedly. I don't think it ever occurred to Coraline that Mick wouldn't be thrilled to be vampire, to be with her forever. She truly saw it as a gift, and when he didn't, it was perplexing to her.

I always wonder - did she make the decision to become mortal again, even temporarily, because it was the only way to get Mick back? And if her decision to become human was just "to feel life again", why toy with Mick by becoming Morgan? It's those types of conundrums that prevent me from being completely sympathetic with Coraline.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Oh yeah - and let's not forget the expendable fire victim (quite apart from the total number she did on Mick). Her motives were never simple - she wanted Mick, but she also had something else entirely in play as regards Lance, and Mottola, and the whole Morgan persona, and I also think she wanted to prove a point (that Mick couldn't live without her - not really). I do think Mick was always at the root of everything - but there was always another angle. Always. My attitude to Coraline has never been sympathetic either - I just get her.

Red

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

redwinter101 wrote:Oh yeah - and let's not forget the expendable fire victim (quite apart from the total number she did on Mick). Her motives were never simple - she wanted Mick, but she also had something else entirely in play as regards Lance, and Mottola, and the whole Morgan persona, and I also think she wanted to prove a point (that Mick couldn't live without her - not really). I do think Mick was always at the root of everything - but there was always another angle. Always. My attitude to Coraline has never been sympathetic either - I just get her.

Red
You do get her, indeed. :smooch:

I always felt everything boiled down to Mick - and she did prove her point. If Beth hadn't interrupted, Coraline would have gotten Mick right where she wanted him, and wouldn't have gotten a stake in the chest.

Offering Mick that carrot, the fulfillment of a near-impossible dream just seemed to be another machination, however sincere. It just seemed like such a 180 from using the Morgan personna to mess with his mind.

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

But I do think her "That was a long time ago" was heartfelt. She HAS realised, finally, that Mick will never see vampirism or immortality as a gift and that she was wrong to believe he ever would.

Red

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

redwinter101 wrote:But I do think her "That was a long time ago" was heartfelt. She HAS realised, finally, that Mick will never see vampirism or immortality as a gift and that she was wrong to believe he ever would.

Red
I'll give you that. I do think she was sincere in that, but was it "I give in, because you're right", or "I give in, because it's the only way I might have a chance for you to come back to me"? She did ask him to go with her when she told him she was leaving town.

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Oh yeah - and how much did I love Mick's "I'm not going anywhere with you". We all saw how long that lasted.
PNWgal wrote:but was it "I give in, because you're right", or "I give in, because it's the only way I might have a chance for you to come back to me"?
I think for Coraline it was both - and neither. She gave in and that was all that mattered to her - and all she expected to matter to Mick. What does it matter why? That's Coraline. She's all about the action, whereas Mick's all about the reason. Therein lies the rub.

Red

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

redwinter101 wrote:Oh yeah - and how much did I love Mick's "I'm not going anywhere with you". We all saw how long that lasted.
No kidding. He may have been at peace, but he was still at her beck and call. A hard habit to break, and one I'm not sure he was ready to do. And that's why I've always felt Mick would have gone after Coraline - for his sense of honor, but also because that tie would never really be broken.
redwinter101 wrote:I think for Coraline it was both - and neither. She gave in and that was all that mattered to her - and all she expected to matter to Mick. What does it matter why? That's Coraline. She's all about the action, whereas Mick's all about the reason. Therein lies the rub.
*nods*

Which proves again they couldn't have made what was between them work. Even though she gave in, Mick STILL didn't really respond her way. I always sort of felt she expected him to fall at her feet and come back to her out of sheer gratefulness.

Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

This is yet another Red classic. Mick's 'voice' was so true in this, Red, the feelings he expresses fit so well with my own assumptions of his feelings.

I really love the depiction of the serenity that Mick comes to as a result of Coraline's (I think) one unselfish action. Yes, he still has feelings for her, but they're comfortable embers now, not the raging inferno that once consumed him. I loved the line about the two souls that didn't quite fit together, now matter how hard they tried. That was a beautifully melancholic sentiment, beautifully conveyed.

thankyou to both you, Red, and to grace (who I assume asked for / suggested this?) for this lovely piece.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

PNWgal, :smooch: And HELL yeah, he was going after her. I refuse to believe anything else. :nonono:

Luxe, thank you, honey. Grace didn't so much ask for this, as wax lyrical, repeatedly and utterly convincingly, about how totally wondrous this scene was. Kinda got me thinking. :biggrin:

Red

Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Red, it is so unfair how Mick whispers directly and so clearly in your ear and rarely in any of ours. But maybe he knows that you are the best at relaying his words, thoughts and actions to the rest of us so that we can fully understand him. So I will sit back and quietly enjoy what he chooses to share with us through you.

You know, you are the only one who can get me to read a Mick and Coraline storyline and actually enjoy it. You are a bit of a miracle worker as well, I guess!

wpgrace wrote:
redwinter101 wrote:There was a clarity in my want for her and if I'm honest, I miss it.
You bet. That's what happened at the end of The Ringer, isn't it, when Beth asked him was he disappointed that Morgan wasn't Cora? He told you that, didn't he?
Sigh. I could feel that, too. I’m big enough to admit it.

wpgrace wrote:Damn, I"M exhausted! How did he survive that up and down, that incessant, unrelenting, full bore, minute by minute up and down, for 33 years? Our Mick is most definitely a superhero. An insanely handsome, highly-skilled, smart, funny, humane, kick-@$$, perpetually cool, Greek God of a superhero. Who talks to you.
Right on, Grace! Best descriptor of Mick yet!
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Moonlighter wrote:You know, you are the only one who can get me to read a Mick and Coraline storyline and actually enjoy it. You are a bit of a miracle worker as well, I guess!
:giggle:

My work is done...

Thanks, honey.

Red :heart:

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Had to come back and read this again.

It has such emotional power. I started to quote sections of it, but there are just too many. Generally, I try to let a few months go by between readings of stories, but in this case I needed to revisit it sooner and saw so many more details in the second reading.

Stunning, Red! Thank you!

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:hyper2: :hyper2:

Thanks, jen. I SO needed that today. :smooch:

Red

Return to “redwinter101's Office”