Kickstarter Project for Veronica Mars Movie! - Goal met!

r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Kickstarter Project for Veronica Mars Movie! - Goal met!

Post by r1015bill »

Unfortunately, I have a feeling it may result in more movies not being greenlit without having to go through a kickstarter phase.

I don't believe WB thinks they were wrong, they needed assurance that the movie would be watched.

You're right, dsr. This was pretty much a win-win for them. And I don't think they'll even spend a lot of money as their part of the deal. One of the articles said "limited release" meaning that it opens at a few theatres in big population centers but pretty much goes straight to dvd.

But on the positive side, our friends at Searching for Sonny caught the moment it went over 2million.
Searching for Sonny ‏@searchforsonny
In case you missed it last night, here's the Veronica Mars @kickstarter campaign rolling to $2 million. http://vine.co/v/bdOnbgDuIPl
And they also noticed something else that I'll put under a spoiler in case you want to know nothing.
Spoiler:
Searching for Sonny ‏@searchforsonny

Veronica Mars? 10 year reunion movie? This sounds suspiciously familiar @RobThomas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGYXp7bBwZo … Congrats on the @kickstarter $$!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

r1015bill wrote:Unfortunately, I have a feeling it may result in more movies not being greenlit without having to go through a kickstarter phase.

I don't believe WB thinks they were wrong, they needed assurance that the movie would be watched.

You're right, dsr. This was pretty much a win-win for them. And I don't think they'll even spend a lot of money as their part of the deal. One of the articles said "limited release" meaning that it opens at a few theatres in big population centers but pretty much goes straight to dvd.
That's true but from a certain point of view that's good for the artists. When a production company bankrolls a movie they can recoup not only the expenses but they add additional expenses such as salaries for their staff that worked on the movie and some times other padding. In this case whatever the distribution deal is probably means more money back in the hands of the people who actually made the movie and also less risk for the companies that distribute the movies. (I am in support of production recouping everything and sometimes plus because they have all the risk when they are doing the financing.)
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I see your point, Carol. Honestly, I truly don't see many downsides to this sort of funding. If a project can get support via Kickstarter, it has a built-in base of people who care that it succeeds. I've invested in a few Kickstarter projects, and I feel a sort of motherly warmth for them. They're my babies in a way, and I care about them. That's what investing does for a project. When you've got money on it--even a measly few bucks--you are emotionally invested, as well. And you'll go out and tell people about your project, and encourage them to support it as well. You're free publicity for your project. The buzz, as Mick so eloquently put it, is good. :twothumbs:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

I look at project like 'Searching for Sonny' and Joss Whedon's 'Much Ado About Nothing' and 'Serenity' as niche films. They're not intended to be blockbusters, nor are they targeting the masses. Still, you hope to make break even, if not make a little money.

But the audiences they do target are grateful, be it as a film providing closure to a cancelled show ('Veronica Mars' and 'Serenity' for the 'Firefly' folks) or movies getting some friends together to have a good time ('Searching for Sonny' and 'Much Ado About Nothing')

Just for grins, I've been watching the stats on the Kickstarter page. Last night, they were averaging ~$1000 / minute. Over the course of the last three hours, things have slowed a bit, but still, the numbers are impressive.

They're now averaging ~11 pledges / minute and ~$600 / minute. :yahoo:

If they keep up this pace, they'll have $3 Million before the day is over.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Heck yeah, they will. They're already over $2,725,000! :yahoo:
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

They keep this up they'll have an 'Avatar' budget without studio backing. Wouldn't that be cool?
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

Ooooooo! They've added more pledge categories.

In addition to LA, there will be a premiere in New York and Austin, Texas so they have tickets for that. And I think they've added more background extras.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

And -- BOOM! $3,000,000! :hyper2:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Well, crap! I want to go to the Austin premiere!!!!!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Start saving your pennies. LOTS of pennies. :snicker:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I have a lot of pennies, but not 75,000.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

librarian_7 wrote:I have a lot of pennies, but not 75,000.
Yeah, it's a lot, but the good news is that the actual rate of donors / minute and dollars / minute is holding pretty steady, now at 10 donors and $650, respectively.

$3 Million, and that's just after 2 days :snicker: I wonder just how gobsmacked Rob Thomas is.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

From what I'm reading, he's pretty amazed.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

He may be wishing he didn't offer to let Kristen Bell taser him if they hit $5 million. :snicker:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I think they might well hit that, by the end of the month. I'm betting the smaller donors will just keep giving....

Return to “Past Projects”