Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 8: 12:04AM

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: 12:04 (Episode Eight)

Post by wpgrace »

Oh no kidding honey!

I didn't find any of the other vamps particularly scary on ML... Lance was dangerous and Lola just full of herself... but THIS guy was genuinely scary, in a total vampire kinda way.

Of course THIS guy was even scary as a human... so NOT blaming the vampire community here... :snicker:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

I think I mentioned that I sent an email to the actor who portrayed Shepherd on this episode. As indicated previously his name is Gideon Emery and he has a web-site where you can contact him. I sent my email late last week and he actually responded this morning. I told him a number of us thought he was the scariest character ever on Moonlight. I also thanked him for calling in to the vamp radio blogcast last year. He thanked me for writing and indicated he is going to be on Burn Notice, the new season 3, episode 9. He say he doesn't play a bad guy in this role just someone unusual. I don't normally watch the show but will try to this time. I thought it was nice that he wrote back.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Moonlightsonata wrote:I think I mentioned that I sent an email to the actor who portrayed Shepherd on this episode. As indicated previously his name is Gideon Emery and he has a web-site where you can contact him. I sent my email late last week and he actually responded this morning. I told him a number of us thought he was the scariest character ever on Moonlight. I also thanked him for calling in to the vamp radio blogcast last year. He thanked me for writing and indicated he is going to be on Burn Notice, the new season 3, episode 9. He say he doesn't play a bad guy in this role just someone unusual. I don't normally watch the show but will try to this time. I thought it was nice that he wrote back.

Oh I DO watch that show! And now I will totally look forward to his ep! And delighted he won't play a villain... I won't have to get the new character all mixed up with Shepherd... it can just be a totally different guy!

Thank you AGAIN, MLS, for making this contact and for reporting back in on his response!!!! :mooncat:

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

wpgrace wrote:Oh no kidding honey!

I didn't find any of the other vamps particularly scary on ML... Lance was dangerous and Lola just full of herself... but THIS guy was genuinely scary, in a total vampire kinda way.

Of course THIS guy was even scary as a human... so NOT blaming the vampire community here... :snicker:
That is a very good point, grace. Mick considers vampires to be monsters - well, at least himself (and maybe Coraline) but I don't think he considers Josef to be a monster. He does consider him to be dangerous though. Guillermo seems pretty laid back. Back to my point....Shepherd was a monster before his Turning so it would make sense that he would still be one. So do you think the vampire they all become is who they were as a human + however they deal with a sense of power. Some people can't take power - it goes to their head. Much like Dr. Pollack. Personally, I think Mick had a dark side to him which became more evident after he was Turned and it disgusted him. He blamed it on being a vampire but I don't think that was the case at all. He just needed to work through his own demons.
darlingcat
Courtesan

Post by darlingcat »

I too think Mr. Emery did a great job in this episode. One of the best guest stars of ML.
That chilling voice in "I see you" :eek2:
And he wasn't terrifying because he was a vampire. He was insane and a serial killer before. Add his demented self to the blood lust of a new vampire and the results were truly scary. But kudos to the actor!

I must admit that 12:04 is not one of my best episodes as far as the plot goes BUT it gave us the balcony scene :hearts: ,
one of the best ML moments.
Come to think about it, some of the weaker plotwise epis, gave me some memorable moments. AD and the Kiss, Click and gorgeous Mick, FDL and even more gorgeous Mick :heart: :heart:
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

GuardianAngel wrote:
wpgrace wrote:Oh no kidding honey!

That is a very good point, grace. Mick considers vampires to be monsters - well, at least himself (and maybe Coraline) but I don't think he considers Josef to be a monster. He does consider him to be dangerous though. Guillermo seems pretty laid back. Back to my point....Shepherd was a monster before his Turning so it would make sense that he would still be one. So do you think the vampire they all become is who they were as a human + however they deal with a sense of power. Some people can't take power - it goes to their head. Much like Dr. Pollack. Personally, I think Mick had a dark side to him which became more evident after he was Turned and it disgusted him. He blamed it on being a vampire but I don't think that was the case at all. He just needed to work through his own demons.
Oh GA... I have thought that before too! I mean he WAS attracted to Cora as a human, and she was clearly trouble. And he was a 30 year old... what... at the point he was turned... so hadn't exactly settled down and gotten into the white picket fence, 1950s AMerica thing. He played music, including jazz and R&B... often drugs went along with that in those days. He had a wild streak... one cannot blame CORA for his behavior with that chair and glass door... he had a choice; he chose the violent one. And we don't know what else he did, cause he didn't like to think or speak about it... So yeah, I have figured he did some things he was ashamed of, that went against his upbringing maybe, even before he was turned. He had the dark side, as you say.

Being turned brought it out... and made him more powerful in terms of the damage he could do. So perhaps cemented his view of himself as a monster... BUT in THAT regard... living an immortal life maybe was a blessing in disguise too. It gave him time, time to make the mistakes, but also to outlive them. To finally see the errors he made and then time to work on himself, to develop the morality and control that perhaps he didn't have before.

Who knows? Human Mick may have wound up DOA in a hospital from a drug OD or gunshot wound (delivered from a pissed off husband perhaps...). It is fascinating to ponder that whole idea of him thinking he's a monster... cause you're right. He doesn't seem to think of his vamp friends that way...

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

As promised, Mick is doing his research on Donovan Shepherd and his "family". His VO tells us what Mick knows so far.

Donovan was big for a while. He had the grunge charm of Curt Cobain and the media savvy of Donald Trump. He could have been a voice of the generation but went Manson in the end. He was executed for killing 6 people and now he's more popular than ever.

Back at Beth's, Audrey is preparing to take a shower.

We see her start the water, check all the locks on the doors and head back to the bathroom. After she passes a closet door it opens slightly. She doesn't see it and steps into the shower.

Back to Mick and is VO. Donovan had a lot of followers that took him seriously. There is a poster on a Shepherd forum by the user name of 1050 Ventana (the address of the massacre) who is posting unlisted information of the DA, judge, jury members and.....Beth's address, where Audrey is staying.

We go back to Beth's where Audrey is stepping out of her shower. There's a message for her on the mirror. Written in the steam are the words reminiscent of Shepherd's last words - "scream my name". (I don't know about you but this gave me chills)

Audrey is, of course, horrified. She runs through the house, first trying the phone (I guess it doesn't work because she hits it then throws it), grabs a letter opener as a weapon and back her way through the dark apartment. A man comes up behind her and says "I'm back." Poor Audrey responds with "No, your dead."

They struggle, she loses her weapon and the stalker promptly falls the the floor. Mick has arrived. Yayyy! The guy is on the floor with Mick holding him there with a hand around the throat (just the one hand - Mick doesn't need two. :melts: ) We finally see the guys face clearly. Nope, not Donovan. Mick asks "who the hell are you?"

Beth comes home. She and Audrey are on her couch talking. The young woman doesn't think the guy with Mick is the one she saw out the window. Beth thinks they are similar enough to get confused. Audrey wants to know if they shouldn't be calling the police. The question is followed by some muffled groans of pain coming from another area of the apartment. Beth answers that she thinks Mick wants to talk with him alone.

Mick is cleaning the blood off his knuckles and we get to see how the 'talking' is going. The guy is on the floor and it looks like he's tied to one of the metal legs under the sink. He's spouting junk about how he has rights. Mick reminds him that he broke into a private home and he has the right to shoot him. The idiot tries again, telling the vamp that he's not a cop. Nope, and that means no paperwork for kicking the guys ass. Again. (Squeeeee). They settle in for Q&A session.

Mick wants to know if the guy followed the girls home after the execution and call Audrey. The anwer is 'no'. The next question is if he knows about 1050Ventana.com. The response is a smile. (The idiot!) Mick wants to know whose site it is. The idiot tells him it's a prophet's doing Shepherd's work and even if Mick puts him in jail others will take his place. And Audrey will die. Mick loses patience and grabs the guys nose.

He tells the guy to call the troops off. But the guy says he wouldn't know how and then starts spewing stuff about Mick not knowing abut the love and loyalty Shepherd teaches. "So enlighten me." Mick tells him. The idiot tells him about this big movie producer who is going to do a movie on Shepherd.

Mick's VO tells us how he sometimes hates living in Hollywood.

Okay, who else was squeeing while watching Mick get all badass? Who wanted to see him wipe the floors with the Shepherd wannabe idiot?
mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

I was squeeing right along with ya there GA! Whew! Ridiculously HOT! :melts: Thanks for those caps!

Beth's "Uh, I think Mick wanted to talk to him alone." was too funny, with the cries and groans in the backdrop! :lol:

"Damn this man and his eternal hotness!" -SirenSong
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

TOTALLY squeeing with the bad-ass Mick... but totally shuddering with that writing on the shower door! This really WAS a scary ep... again, it wasn't just scary vamps... the damn humans were menacing.

And I love how calm Beth is when she tells Audrey Mick wants to "talk" to the perp. Shades of deal-making with Josef in this girl's future. :snicker:

coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Love bad-ass Mick. Add me as another girl who squeed throughout that bit. :happysigh:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Man, he had a really good hold on the dude's nose didn't he?? :giggle:
helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

I love the scene where Mick is crouching down in the bathroom giving it to that twerp. So forceful was Mick and very righteously and indignantly giving it to that guy. Mick is such a hero! He saves Audrey. I wonder how Mick got into Audrey's place. Through one of those open windows I'm assuming...that Audrey keeps open at night.... when she is afraid a serial killer might be lurking....
mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

helloeeze wrote:I wonder how Mick got into Audrey's place. Through one of those open windows I'm assuming...that Audrey keeps open at night.... when she is afraid a serial killer might be lurking....
She was at Beth's place though.

"Damn this man and his eternal hotness!" -SirenSong
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

And Mick could have easily picked or forced the lock.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

LOL. I'm sure Mick has figured out ways to get into Beth's apartment. What if she slipped on the soap? You never know. ;)

Return to “Episode Discussion”