Alex is going to be a Dad (again)!

Locked Alex threads are here.
Lucy
Ancient

Re: Alex is going to be a Dad (again)!

Post by Lucy »

allegrita wrote:Excellent point, Rhonda. I kinda figured that as well--those details are what you hear from friends and family, not strangers. I figure that the baby and mom are doing well, since Alex is obviously around and about and looking happy. And I don't really care about the details either--just that things are good for all of them. :cloud9:
I've been so spoiled with the stars announcing babies in PEOPLE... And Alex is working so that's a clue that things are 100% 'New Baby'. When we see his 'with fan' photos he has the look of the new Dad (his eyes are near slits). Who doesn't remember those days? :snicker:
aolver
Rogue vampire

Post by aolver »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:
allegrita wrote:Ma Fleur, I must beg to differ with you very slightly, and most respectfully. I think it would be more accurate to say, "the whole creative culture, baby naming thing." I think there is a tendency among extremely clever, creative, intelligent people to use that creativity in naming their kids. I know for a fact that among creative people here in Southern California, most of whom have no pretense toward celebrity, there are many, many kids with names that lots of people would call outlandish. It's by no means limited to celebrities... they're just the folks whose kids' names we hear about. In fact, I think it's safe to say that Alex had no inkling at age 20, when Saxon was born, that he'd ever be a celebrity.

Whether other people think those creative folks are right or wrong to use their creativity in that particular way, they have every right to do it. And I think that kids raised by creative people are very lucky people in a lot of ways. They are surrounded by all the possibilities that the imagination can create. And when they get older, if they don't like their given name, they can choose another one. I think little Lion, however his name is pronounced, will be raised in such a way that he will be able to cope with everything the world throws at him... including possible criticisms of his name.

Agree with you 100%, Alle. Never said nor suggested that it wasn't a person's right. Just as it's my right to shake my head at the name Lion!! I was only stating my opinion--I don't like the name. I am not referencing bullying or Internet idiots (bc frankly, I don't read that crap anyhow) who are dissecting the name like they do everything else about Alex. Whether he has 'gone Hollywood' (whatever that means), hasn't or is in the midst of Hollywoodizing himself makes no difference to me. Whatever his motivations, I am SURE none of them were "oh, I think I'll give my kid a name that people will guffaw over". I'm sure him and the gf had the best intentions, I just don't get it. That's all.

The only point I'll slightly disagree with you on is why name your kid something so outlandish that the thought of 'well, they can always change it when they're older' even enters your mind? That's a red flag!

PGal said it better than I in her previous post. All I'll add is that no one is right or wrong here. Just opinions. Some like the name--good for them. Some don't--good for them, too. Some don't care one way or another. Arguing about it is like fighting with someone over which ice cream flavor is best. There is no right or wrong answer, just a personal opinion.

And to further confuse the issue--I always kinda liked the name Saxon. I think it's cool. Spike--nope. To me, that sounds like a name only man's best friend should have. Lion---frankly, don't know what it make of it!

And I like chocolate chip.
:highfive: all the way. And I like Dreyers Key Lime Pie flavor. I like key lime pie everything...oh, and Starbucks egg nog latte...skinny. :teeth:
Beautiful banner and avatar by Skylar
janicevictoria
Fledgling

Post by janicevictoria »

And Alle, Zowie Bowie did change his name... To John or something really common, when he became a teen.
Actually he changed it to Duncan Jones (His Dad's real name is David Jones) and a wee bit of trivia here- he directed one of my favourite movies 'Moon' not too long ago... :yes:

Thanks to Pinkiepie for my lovely banner
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Alex talked about his son in an interview. The name is Lion Kahano.
If I googled this correctly Ka Hano means "to honor" or "to appreciate".

https://mobile.twitter.com/Griffin7x/st ... 09/photo/1
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

francis wrote:Alex talked about his son in an interview. The name is Lion Kahano.
If I googled this correctly Ka Hano means "to honor" or "to appreciate".

https://mobile.twitter.com/Griffin7x/st ... 09/photo/1
He promised an Hawaiian middle name....it sounds right royal!

My gosh they are getting all the mileage they can out of that photo..... :slaphead: (insert sarcastic font here)
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Here's a song that fits Alex and Malia.
:curtsey: :teeth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LBmUwi6mEo
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

francis wrote:Here's a song that fits Alex and Malia.
:curtsey: :teeth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LBmUwi6mEo
francis-
did you mean to use your sarcastic font???? :rolling: I can't ever remember an infant in our family that slept at night (we are all night walkers) :giggle:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Yes, it was meant to be sarcastic.

As for his middle name, fever posted a link on another site that has an awesome explanation to the name.

“Kahano was the god who lay down on the ocean, stretching out his hands until one rested on Kahiki (Tahiti or some other foreign land) and the other rested on Oahu. Over his arms as a great bridge walked the Menehunes, or fairy people, to Oahu.”

found here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/pac/hloh/hloh06.htm

So, Kahano was a Hawaiian god who was building a bridge between a land in the southwest and Hawaii. Kind of like this child is building a bridge between Australia and Hawaii. :thumbs: So that, besides Ka Hano meaning "to honor", is a great name.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

What a wonderful story. :hearts:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

francis wrote:Yes, it was meant to be sarcastic.

As for his middle name, fever posted a link on another site that has an awesome explanation to the name.

“Kahano was the god who lay down on the ocean, stretching out his hands until one rested on Kahiki (Tahiti or some other foreign land) and the other rested on Oahu. Over his arms as a great bridge walked the Menehunes, or fairy people, to Oahu.”

found here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/pac/hloh/hloh06.htm

So, Kahano was a Hawaiian god who was building a bridge between a land in the southwest and Hawaii. Kind of like this child is building a bridge between Australia and Hawaii. :thumbs: So that, besides Ka Hano meaning "to honor", is a great name.
And I hope Lion honors his parents with a few regular hours of Sleep! :fingerscrossed:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I love that myth story, thank you for sharing it!
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

francis, what a GREAT story. :hearts:

And no one pass out from shock, but I actually like the name Kahano - it's a strong name. :teeth:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

PNWgal wrote: And no one pass out from shock, but I actually like the name Kahano - it's a strong name. :teeth:
:yes:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

allegrita wrote:I love that myth story, thank you for sharing it!
Which one? The one about Kahano being a bridge, or the one where new parents get some sleep?
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

:giggle: Well, I was referring to the bridge one, but yeah, that too. :winky:

Return to “The Alex Archives”