The Jewel Box (Coraline) -- Challenge #149 -- PG-13

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

The Jewel Box (Coraline) -- Challenge #149 -- PG-13

Post by librarian_7 »

Author’s note: Some time ago, I wrote a list of Coraline’s six favorite pieces of jewelry, for the Moonlight List Game. http://moonlightaholics.com/viewtopic.p ... 90#p264490

Here’s the list:

1. A tiara she got from a Russian Grand Duke, in the 1880s. Lots of flashy diamonds.

2. A set of ruby earrings she won from Josef, in a chess game, in New York during the Civil War.

3. A suite of sapphires--matching necklace, earrings, ring, and bracelets, that she smuggled out of France during the Revolution.

4. A single, black, baroque pearl. The gentleman who gave it to her said it was a fair representation of her heart--hard, twisted, and dark. They parted, not long afterwards.

5. A large square-cut emerald in a gold ring mounting. It was a gift from her sire, after she was acknowledged by the family.

6. Tucked away in a corner, wrapped in tissue, a tiny, cheap diamond that was the best ring her fiance, Mick St. John, could afford in 1952. From time to time, she pulls it out and slides it on her finger for a few minutes.

I got so bemused by the concept, that I thought it should be expanded a little. So—here’s a series of seven drabbles. One for each of the six pieces of jewelry, and one to introduce them. Enjoy! And thanks to Allegrita, for sparking the idea! And to the “unfinished business” challenge, for giving me the impetus to finish this up.

The Jewel Box

I.

Red velvet to cushion my baubles. Hundreds of years, thousands of pieces of jewelry. Only the finest, the best, travel with me. But tonight is a special occasion, and it’s time to look through my favorites. Every piece has a story, every piece has a meaning, if only for me. Precious metals are cool and smooth against my skin, and I cannot warm them. Some ad man came up with “Diamonds are forever,” but he was right. When love is dead, when men have turned to ash, my jewels will still be with me. Like my memories, they are forever.

II.

I remember the chandeliers blazing, the crystal pendants splintering the light, and Vasily Gregorovitch twirling me around the floor, the waltz so sensuous, yet so precise. His eyes flashed like the diamonds he’d gifted me with, and the high collar of his gold-frogged uniform hid the marks of my fangs. I ran my tongue over my lips, and he pulled me closer, so my ballgown could hide his reaction. He wanted me for a mistress, not a Grand Duchess, but the tiara I kept. I’ll always remember that ball, when our love was new, and the light splintered around us.

III.

I thought I was the red queen, controlling the dance of pieces on the board. I’ve always wondered, though. Josef lost the chess game that night, and true to his word, sent these ruby earrings the following night, red and gold to sparkle against my dark hair. He was so angry at losing, I still laugh to think of it. Even now, the sight of them irritates him. I wear them more often than I should, to tease him. I won that game, by gaslight, surprising him. Still, I’ve never been quite sure if I was the pawn, after all.

IV.

I can never look at these sapphires, without remembering the bloodshed of the Terror. And the tricolor of those damned revolutionaries, so bent on destroying my kind. Three of my brothers died, and they’d have caught me, too, if I hadn’t dirtied my face, and traded my pretty slippers for a pair of wooden sabots. I remember flirting with a drunken lout of a soldier, dodging his clumsy grabs at my breasts, for fear he’d feel the sapphires hidden in my bodice. When I finally escaped, I should have felt like rejoicing, but whatever I saved, my losses were greater.

V.

“This will suit you, daughter,” was his only comment. The rare emerald flashes red in its verdant depth, the large square-cut stone more suited to powdered wigs and wide, panniered skirts, than it is to designer suits and Prada. My sire gave precious jewels, pouring like water from his pale hands. The first of his gifts to me, and far from the last, I’ve always thought it too heavy for my hand, but styles were different then. Life was brighter, more exciting. Or perhaps I was only young, and unschooled in the wide world. Times change, but the emerald remains.

VI.

I can’t count times I’ve thought of discarding this pearl. Selling it for a fraction of its value. Friedrich was mocking me, he told me as much. Black and twisted as my heart, indeed. And yet, the darkness of its lustre, the odd irregularity of it, mesmerize me. I’ve always thought round, white pearls were boring. I paid him back, though. Gave him a night of passion he could never hope to repeat with anyone else, and left him undone an hour before sunrise, begging me to reconsider. I’ll wager he never saw another black pearl, without aching for me.

VII.

“Will you marry me?” he said, as he slid a ring on my finger. “I know it’s not worthy of you, but for now, it’s the best I can do.” He was right. The diamond is tiny, flawed, and the setting gold-plated. But he was so earnest, I couldn’t sneer. Or refuse. It would’ve been better, I suppose, if I had. Even though part of things not working out was his attempt to incinerate me, I kept the ring. The stupid, tawdry ring. Sometimes, when I’m alone, I put it on my finger, and think of what might have been.
Emerald
Sire

Re: The Jewel Box (Coraline) -- Challenge #149 -- PG-13

Post by Emerald »

Incredible writing. :hearts:
"Vampires are outside the realms of human constructed notions of sexuality"

I will go down with this ship
And I won't put my hands up and surrender
There will be no white flag above my door
I'm in love and always will be

Queen of the Jock (Josef/Mick) Shippers
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Why, thank you, Em!
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I loved the list you gave us, and I love the way you expanded it with Coraline's thoughts. They paint a picture of her life, the variations of a theme, seduction, destruction, coldness, heart ache. The ring from Mick stands out, and that's probably what drew her to him.
This is deeper than words. :thud:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

francis wrote:This is deeper than words. :thud:
francis is so right. :yes: This is lovely and sad. The prose is elegant and the narration self-assured, but there is an underlying pain running throughout. Together, the individual pieces paint a haunting tale. And that's really the power of drabbles. So often, it's what is left unsaid that sticks with you the longest.

:heart:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

I'm so glad you expanded on your list, Lucky :hug:

Coraline links each piece to a person and a memorable point in time of her life. Through her musings, you show us how she viewed her various conquests, savoring happier moments and lamenting the sadder ones. Yet only in the end with Mick's tiny diamond does she feel some regret:
Sometimes, when I’m alone, I put it on my finger, and think of what might have been.
Maybe it isn't the monetary value of the piece that's important, but the sentiment behind it.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I love these drabbles, individually and as a collection. A treasure box of memories, little prose poems. :hearts: Coraline's such a complex character, especially because of her history. It takes a very strong person to survive the times she lived through, and she is a true survivor. She's not heartless, although she's extremely ruthless--and these stories reveal the emotions she doesn't often show. I can see her looking through her favorite treasures, remembering the occasions and emotions that make the jewels significant far beyond their price. In fact, these few treasures are truly priceless--I can't imagine her ever selling them, because their value lies in something much more important than money. They are a part of her history--each one contributing to the woman she is now. And I find it very interesting that each jewel carries its own burden of sadness and loss.

Thank you so much for elaborating on your list. I loved it then, and I love it even more now that you've given us a glimpse of the deeper meaning behind each jewel. :hearts:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

There aren't many things that vampires would keep for centuries but these are definitely some of them. Every one of them marks an important event in her life whether good or bad. Just wonderful
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

I really liked this. :thumbs: She probably does think of her jewels as representing her "conquests" (though maybe not the ones she smuggled out of France). But I bet deep down, the little ring from Mick means the most to her.

I don't remember seeing the list before, but it's great and this is a great addition. Thank you! :thanks:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Lucky

What an artist you are!

These are treasures--like the contents of the box.

AFter finishing reading, I rushed to leave a comment before reading the others.

Others have said the same thing (and better).

These jewels point to depths within Coraline that I didn't really suspect. She is capable of introspection and learns for the struggles that make her stronger.

Lovely!

Thank you!!!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Last edited by jen on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
BlueEyedMonster
Fledgling

Post by BlueEyedMonster »

As always well written and so elegant. I often find myself thinking what we would have found behind those dark eyes and mysterious smile if we been able to see more of Coraline.

I feel what Coraline had hoped to be her biggest conquest turned out to be her eternal heartache. You have captured her journey to that point with elegance and compassion.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

What a fantastic idea this was! Her jewelry box holds a long, historical walk down memory lane.

Another thing I really like about this is that it's a glimpse into how layered and complicated Coraline is. She's lived so long and had so many experiences. It tells a lot about her in what she holds dear.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

There aren't too many things Coraline would be sentimental about but I think this jewel box is one of them.

Return to “Drabbles and Short Pieces”