The Reveal: a Between the Lines Drabble -- PG-13

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

The Reveal: a Between the Lines Drabble -- PG-13

Post by librarian_7 »

AN: Bear with me, please. There are moments in Moonlight that are so iconic, so central to our love for the show, that they've been written on over and over. The Re-Turning, the door closing, the shower...and the very end of episode 2. I think every fan writer for the series has taken at least one stab at it. We had a whole challenge devoted to what happens immediately following this exchange. Last night, I ran across a scene in a vampire romance novel that oddly echoed the situation, describing a vampire huddled in the shadows, hiding "his addiction" from a woman he had once loved. And it made me grab a device and re-watch the end of "Out of the Past." Because that was the beginning of obsession for me. After all these viewings, that moment is still so powerful--and I woke up this morning and thought, I need to write about this, yet again.

The Reveal: a Between the Lines Drabble

"What are you?"

Only a few days ago, I'd thought I couldn't stand to see myself as a monster in her eyes. And here it is. The disbelief, the revulsion, the disgust. She'll never look at me the same way again. Never be able to trust me. I know it's shock, I know she didn't mean to be cruel, but the phrasing says it all. I'm not a "who" to her anymore. I'm a "what." And if there's no good way to say it, then straight out will have to do. It's all I've got left.

"I'm a vampire."
jen
Cleaner

Re: The Reveal: a Between the Lines Drabble -- PG-13

Post by jen »

How grateful we all are that the story didn't end there...

That Beth's heart was willing and able to accept what her mind initially rejected, as she had the flexibility to learn that reality was much more amazing than she thought possible.
From that point came acceptance and later love, though always difficult, dangerous and complicated.,.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Wow, nice job! :twothumbs:

And yet, she was back at his door the next day.
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Poor Mick. :Mickangel: He had many moments like that on the show...moments where you could see the painful thoughts running through his mind by the expressions on his face. (Thank you, Alex.) This was one of the most powerful scenes in the entire series.

I love how you've translated those expressions here. The panic, the regret, the resignation, and the courage. Beautifully done.
(And I love the fact that Mick was never quite as alone--even in this scene--as he thought he was...) :heart:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

awesome Little drabble to come back to. :hearts:

(no idea why my spellcheck keeps writing capitals)
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Thanks so much for the comments, ladies!
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

I hated ,hated, hated that moment...and yet , it is the very moment that I fell in love with Mick St. John and Moonlight!! Thanks for sharing Mick's inner thoughts with us, Lucky!..

One question though...what would it mean if she asked..Who are you?
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Lucky, this is wonderful! :hearts: I love that this particular scene has inspired so many peces of writing, and that after all this time, it continues to inspire. :heart: As painful as it was to see Mick's face during the reveal, it's equally painful to be inside his head here.

This sums up his greatest fear, so precisely...
librarian_7 wrote:I'm not a "who" to her anymore. I'm a "what."
These hundred words truly deliver. :notworthy:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist

Return to “Drabbles and Short Pieces”