Shadows of the Past: Chapter 1 (PG-13)

A place for Kelly's G to PG-13 stories
Kelly
Rogue vampire
Location: Lost in a daydream...I think Alex is in here somewhere too.

Shadows of the Past: Chapter 1 (PG-13)

Post by Kelly »

Disclaimer: I own no recognizable characters, sets, etc.
Rating: PG-13
Characters: Mick, Beth, Josef, Simone (I think...can't remember. LOL), OC

This was my first ever attempt at FF writing, so it's horribly contrived :lol: But, I'm forcing myself to post it anyway.

Shadows of the Past

The past is our definition. We may strive, with good reason, to escape it, or to escape what is bad in it, but we will escape it only by adding something better to it. ~Wendell Berry

The first rays of morning light were beginning to slip through the drawn blinds. Mick, holding Beth's warm, slumbering form lovingly in his arms, lay in peaceful silence, contentedly listening to her soft, steady breathing. Memories of their night together flashed in his mind. The soft touch of her skin brushing against his, the sweet smell of her hair, the gentle look in her eyes, assuring him of her love...he would remember every detail forever. It had been perfect. He couldn't imagine loving anyone else so passionately, so entirely. The thought of someday losing Beth was more unbearable than anything he could imagine. Eternity would be meaningless without his Beth. But he knew that somehow...some way, they would make it work. They had to.

Mick shifted slightly to avoid a beam of light that had settled on the side his face. This movement was enough, however, to awaken Beth. Mick could hear her breathing change and felt her turn to face him. Her eyes looked up to meet his.

"Hi," she said quietly.

"Hi," he replied. He reached towards her, gently running his fingers along her face, and leaned in, kissing her lips tenderly. They lay there wrapped in each other's arms for a short time yet, thankful just to be together...to feel the closeness between them. The sun had, by this time, risen entirely and had filled Beth's bedroom with golden light. Rising reluctantly, Mick walked to the window and adjusted the curtains to darken the room. He bent down to retrieve his discarded shirt and pants, and proceeded to dress.

"Are you leaving?"Beth asked.

He turned around to see her sitting up, clutching a sheet to her chest. Mick couldn't help marveling at how beautiul she looked with her face glowing in the early morning light and her blond hair, slightly touseled, spilling over her bare shoulders.

"I have to," Mick said gently, "There are still some things that have to be taken care of regarding...last night…with Emma and Jackson. I'm meeting Josef in an hour, but I wish I could stay. I've waited so long...I've cared for you so long."

He quickly crossed the room back to Beth, and he kissed her urgently, then more tenderly. When he finally pulled away, he just stared lovingly at her and ran a lingering hand over her hair. Then, reaching for her hand, he repeated the words he had said the night before, "I love you, Beth." Somehow his words meant even more to Beth this time. Perhaps it was the sincerity with which he had uttered them, or the look in his eyes... she couldn't tell for sure. All she knew...all that mattered was that she loved him back...loved him back with such a passion that she felt she could barely breathe, and her heart ached with longing for their lives to freeze in that moment. Silently, Mick released her hand and turned to leave.

"So you finally did it," Josef remarked mockingly when Mick arrived to meet him.

"Did what?" Mick replied

"Sealed the deal with Beth," Josef answered.

"What...no!" Mick became instantly defensive.

"Oh, come on, Mick. Don't lie to me. I can smell her on you," It was obvious, that Josef took great pleasure in taunting his friend. Mick, on the other hand, was at a loss for a reply and remained silent. "Wait," Josef continued, "are you embarrassed?...You are! You're embarrassed! ... So, how was it?"

"You know, after four hundred fifty years, you'd think you'd have acquired some tact," Mick replied sarcastically.

"Tact is overrated, my friend. Details, details!" Josef replied with a gleam in his eye. Mick had to smile at Josef's attempt at humor.

"Honestly," Mick responded, "it was amazing."

"So...Beth didn't mind the, shall we say, finale?" Josef pried. Mick managed a slight laugh at Josef's witty euphemism but made no attempt at a response.

"We do have some work to do, if you remember, Josef," Mick was obviously not going to reply, so Josef let the subject drop.

“So, people are going to have plenty of questions regarding the Monahans’ disappearance,” Mick quickly adopted a very serious attitude, “They were very prominent citizens, and this is not going to go unnoticed. We are going to have to have answers, and…”

“I have to say, your timing is a little odd, Mick,” Josef interrupted.

“Excuse me…” Mick responded.

“This thing with Beth. A little morbid, considering Emma and Jackson, wouldn’t you say?” Josef said with a mischevious grin.
“I thought you were letting this drop,” Mick replied.

“Sorry. I just can’t get over it…the wayward couple finally got it on. It’s a little hard to process. You’re going to have to give me some time on this one, my friend.” Josef said with hint of sarcasm.

Later that day, Mick sat alone in his office smiling to himself as he thought of Beth. As hard as he tried, he couldn’t focus on his work. He had assured himself, however, that when his client arrived he would get down to business, so he indulged himself for awhile longer. Suddenly, he heard a very quiet knock on his door, and stood to answer it. He opened the door to reveal a dark-haired slight, young woman, barely more than a child, standing before him. “Mr. St. John?” she asked in a soft, half-whisper.

“Yes,” Mick answered.

“I need you to help me.”
Thanks SirenSong for the gorgeous MickCora tag

"Life is measured not by the number of breaths you take,
but rather by the number of moments that take your breath away.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Re: Shadows of the Past: Chapter 1 (PG-13)

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Great beginning. Love the stage you have set and am looking forward to reading more.
"So...Beth didn't mind the, shall we say, finale?" Josef pried.
What a great line!! Classic Josef.
Kelly
Rogue vampire

Post by Kelly »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:Great beginning. Love the stage you have set and am looking forward to reading more.
"So...Beth didn't mind the, shall we say, finale?" Josef pried.
What a great line!! Classic Josef.
Thanks, Lisa! :hug: I wrote this probably going on a year ago, so I keep forgetting about it :snicker: Parts 2-the end are somewhere in my office, if you want to keep reading.

Albra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Albra »

It begins interesting ... :reading:

I'm going to come back for more ...
:thanks:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Good start, Kelly. I like the Josef snark and the embarrassment of Mick, rings very true to them. And the cliffie makes me want to read more, of course.
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Fabulous start Kelly :clapping:

You have me hooked. :D
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Absolutely fabulous. (and precisely what should have followed Sonata). We can probably all agree on that.

Your characterizations are wonderful!

More, please!
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

"Oh, come on, Mick. Don't lie to me. I can smell her on you," It was obvious, that Josef took great pleasure in taunting his friend. Mick, on the other hand, was at a loss for a reply and remained silent. "Wait," Josef continued, "are you embarrassed?...You are! You're embarrassed! ... So, how was it?"
ROFL!! :rolling: (love this new smiley)

You've totally captured Josef's personality...and Mick's....and Beth's... :snicker:

I will be back for more reading in the future! :ninja:
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
Kelly
Rogue vampire

Post by Kelly »

greenleaf9 wrote:

You've totally captured Josef's personality...and Mick's....and Beth's... :snicker:

Uh oh...you found this one. This was one of the ones I was referring to with the "what was I thinking?!"

But thank you. :rose: :hug:

greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

Kelly wrote:
greenleaf9 wrote:

Uh oh...you found this one. This was one of the ones I was referring to with the "what was I thinking?!"

But thank you. :rose: :hug:

yuppers...I found it! :evillaugh: I'll keep your statement in mind while reading...but I'm sure that it's not as bad as you think. :ysmile:
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Came by for a reread. If this is contrived, I don't see it. I think it is fabulous, Kelly. If you ever decide to post more on this wonderful little fic, I'll be happy!

This is totally bathed in Moonlight magic

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

will the circle be unbroken?

Contrived, no..... dramatically played yes.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Absolutely wonderful, Kelly!

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Return to “Kelly's Office”