SB 12 - Finding (Mick's POV) (PG-13)

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

SB 12 - Finding (Mick's POV) (PG-13)

Post by francis »

I walk the streets, buy some blood from the dealer I contacted via the local Cleaner, and try to shed the feeling of loneliness that seeps into my skin through the coat and shirt at every couple I see dining in the restaurants, every late worker heading for home, and every cab driver chatting with their customers.
There is a jazz band playing in one of the clubs, and I remember that there was a special place called Village Vanguard. I head there and find out that there is a jazz night coming up tomorrow, but today the place is quiet. Sadly, tomorrow we would probably be heading home.
Which brings my thoughts to the next day.

I don’t know how Josef spent his day in New York. He must have a vamp friendly place where he can sleep in a freezer. Would he try to kill Whitley for sending a killer out? Would he do it quickly? But what’s the point in killing a 93 year old man?
I still wondered what connection he had to Whitley, and to his daughter Sarah. Maybe he disgraced her, maybe he killed her. Was this why he relocated shortly after Sarah vanished?

No answers to get. I walk to the address Beth digged up and watch the building from the other side of the street. It is an old regal house, several stories high, built with grey freestone. The place has a janitor in some sort of uniform, complete with a fur cap. The first floor contains some law firm and an insurance company. I peruse the doorbell panel and find an entry for „Whitley and Smithson Inc.“, a real estate business. The penthouse is private. That must be where Whitley lives.

I decide to stay here in case Josef tries something. I might be too late, I might be too early, but I have nothing else to do. When being on a stake-out my mind tends to turn off, like meditation. It’s a way to calm the storm of emotions, questions and thoughts that made me miserable all day. I can let go of the anger, the frustration and the fear that I am losing Josef, and Beth. Yes, there is fear, burning in my stomach, but I can let it be for now. It will sort itself out or it won’t, but there is no point in making myself sick with worry. As my dad used to say: „Every day has its own worries.“

When the morning sun comes up, I visit my contact again for some breakfast and hurry to get back to the hotel. I find my note on Beth’s door and take it away, glad that she obviously had a good night of sleep without interruptions.
I take another very cold shower, this time for recreational purposes. Beth timidly knocks about an hour later. She looks radiant with her hair freshly brushed and taken back by a simple clip, and in a dark grey, very feminine business suit with a flowing shawl.

I ask her to go somewhere else for breakfast. At the hotel I would have a hard time to pretend I already ate. So we find a small café and she orders croissants and coffee. She digs into her meal with abandon, and asks me if I am okay. I am taken aback by her question, I never exspected her to even think about this. I should give her more credit, I guess. So I tell her that I am fine and that I found a contact to get some A positive. She giggles. „That sounds like you are on some drug. I respond that this is exactly the way it feels for me. Her face falls. „Sorry.“ she says. „It’s okay.“ I tell her.

We make our way to Whitley’s house in a cab. I cannot exspect her to walk all the way like I did tonight. There’s a new janitor there, same uniform though. We ask him to see Mr. Whitley in a private matter. He calls someone, and then tells us that Mr. Whitley will not take visitors today. While Beth uses her charms to get further information out of him, I take a look around the corner. I think I saw a side door, but it is closed. Then I remember the fire escape.
Beth isn’t really up for it, but when I do the „jumpy thing“ as she called it and get the ladder for her, she just smiles. She smiles some more when I ask her to go before me. A woman always knows when a man ogles her, and I take the opportunity gladly. I smile to myself and have a hard time wiping the grin off before she looks at me again.

I open the window easily, and then we go upstairs with the elevator like we belong here. At the penthouse floor we walk into a maid in a frilly black uniform (What is it with rich people and making others wear uniforms?) who is very surprised and immediately calls a man for help. He wears white like some kind of nurse and when we ask to see Mr. Whitley he stomps through a flight of rooms to a dark study. He angrily tells someone that we intruded and if he should call the police.
I can smell decay, but not the vampire kind. This man is old, he is dying. There is blood on his collar, he has a breathing mask next to him and an IV line in his left hand, and he is sitting uncomfortably in an overstuffed chair, as if he is ready to keel over any minute, dressed in a thick robe but still too cold for a human.

Beth immediately takes charge and tells him he might be in danger. Whitley allows us to stay. I immediately confront him. „You hired a hit man to kill Josef Kostan.“
A hesitating „Nooo.“
Beth interrupts. „Sir, we have evidence.“ I admire her spunk.
Whitley speaks up. He tells us that Josef was Charles Fitzgerald, and that he murdered Whitleys daughter. So he knows what Josef is. I ask him to tell everything he knows so we can find Josef. Whitley is breathing heavily now, clearly distressed. He tells me to get something out of a drawer. A diary, the diary of Sarah. He takes it reverently and explains that he discovered it two years ago after his wife died. He tells us that Josef killed Sarah. Beth looks at me briefly. Whitley’s distress and grief are clearly getting to her.
The old man gives Beth the diary to read. I ask him if he hired a killer for Josef. His face contorts into a mask of 50 year old hatred. I am appaled. He calls Josef a monster, and if Josef really killed this innocent woman he might be right. Hell, he is right nonwithstanding, we are monsters. But still, Josef is my friend, and he might have an explanation.
Suddenly Whitley dissolves into an excruciating coughing fit. The male nurse comes in and sends us out. We leave quickly.

The sun is up, it’s a hot day. We sit down in the shadow of a small park, and I get a coffee for her.
Beth has managed to sneak the diary out with us. She starts to scan it and reads parts of it to me. The words unfold the picture of a really trusting, naive but self-composed young woman. She was in love with Josef and somehow found out what he was. She talks about her everyday dealings, about shopping, dances, her art class, her girlfriends, her parents. Teens were growing up later in that day and age, but she had a level head on her shoulders. Her observations were intelligent, grounded and without an ounce of meanness or condescendence. She was the daughter of doting, very rich parents, but she wasn’t spoiled. She had plans for her future, involving charity, studying, travelling and then, of course, Charles. Charles Fitzgerald, who became the center and focal point of all her ramblings from the day she met him. And then, within half a year, there is the last entry.

When Beth reads the words to me, that Sarah knows what he is and still wants to stay with him forever, I have the feeling that the words are Beth’s. Josef actually used the words dangerous and impossible, but Sarah wouldn’t have any of that. She was ready to be with him forever. I nod to myself, it suddenly makes sense.
Josef was in love. He turned her and something went wrong, and he killed her. It’s exactly what I am afraid of in case I try to make it work with Beth. She will get hurt, or killed, be it by me or by association. I have to give up the thoughts I had about being with her.

I feel close to crying. I can’t look Beth in the eyes, and am for once glad for the sunglasses. My voice is rough as she questions me about Josef never telling me about this, then asks about relocation. I cannot tell her I stayed because of her, can I? So I tell her I liked the weather. Yeah, smart move, St. John. The weather of L.A. is actually one of the points that make life difficult for us. Would be better off in Seattle or some place around there. She smiles at that answer, and that makes me smile. She is looking at me quizzical and I prepare myself for some hard-to-answer follow up questions, but lucky for me her phone rings.

It’s Sam. She finally hacked into the right limo service and found Josef’s location. He was careless again, used his credit card. We try to find a cab to Waverly Place. I will finally get some answers, and maybe I will still want to kill him. But I’m not so sure anymore.
mitzie
Courtesan

Re: SB 12 - Finding (Mick's POV) (PG-13)

Post by mitzie »

Another great chapter!

Off to read more!

mitzie
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Wonderful update. Going through this with Josef, is causing Mick to look inward even more concerning his feelings for Beth.
moonshine
Freelance freshie

Post by moonshine »

Oh I like how Mick reacts when Beth reads Sarah's notes!!! I loved that part in the show. Now you give us more!!!! Thank you!!
bluedahlia3
Rogue vampire
Location: Strolling down a foggy street, collar popped up, emoting cigarette smoke

Post by bluedahlia3 »

Oh Francis... this is wonderful... "and try to shed the feeling of loneliness that seeps into my skin through the coat and shirt at every couple I see dining in the restaurants, every late worker heading for home, and every cab driver chatting with their customers." What a terrific beginning. It's so Mick, so NYC. Just lovely. :reading:
"I'm only wearing black until they come up with something darker." LaCroix
Forever grateful to Trevor Munson for his gift.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This is wonderfully emotionally rich, Thank you for this wonderful chapter.

I love the phrase about the loneliness seeps in. Wonderful.

And to Mick the fibers all weave together around Beth.

Fabulous!

Off to read more.

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Thank you, jen.
And I missed out on answering the other comments, so sorry!
bluedahlia, thank you so much!
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

...and try to shed the feeling of loneliness that seeps into my skin through the coat and shirt at every couple I see dining in the restaurants, every late worker heading for home, and every cab driver chatting with their customers
That was absolutely , totally Mick!

So sad, that after he accepted he was in love, he found out about Sarah's secret, now all things are getting difficult and dangerous again!

Mick is half way to the truth,but I so want to read his reaction when he sees Josef with Sarah!
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .

Return to “Sleeping Beauty Revisited”