Things Used To Be So Easy PG-13 Cham Challenge #167

A place for cassysj's G to PG-13 stories
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Things Used To Be So Easy PG-13 Cham Challenge #167

Post by cassysj »

I do not own any recognizable characters, no copyright infringement is intended.

Anna was rocking on the porch of The Grand Hotel sipping an unsweetened ice tea. Damn old age and diabetes.

A very handsome young man sat next to her and was talking quietly in his IPhone. “I don’t want excuses, I want to know what technical glitch closed down the stock market for three hours. Not acceptable and heads will roll.” He turned his attention to Anna. “So are you enjoying yourself?

“Oh Josef, it’s amazing. It reminds me so much of that vacation we spent at Greenbrier in 1975.

He laughed. “If I recall you didn’t want to be separated from Pong and the Betamax machine for a week.”

She smiled. “I was getting used to luxuries I never dreamed of before. I never even saw color television before I moved in with you. I thought you were so rich.”

“I was and still am. So tell me how is the world treating you?

“Diabetes, morning stiffness and I pee every hour but it could be worse. It’s just old age.”

“You’re a baby.

“I’m going to be seventy soon.”

“A mere child when I was seventy….

Anna finished. “The telescope was new and Dom Perignon invented Champagne.”

“Speaking of which. He raised his hand and an elderly server sped over as if a man a third his age.

“Mr. Kostan what can I get you?

“Champagne for me and the lady.”

“I shouldn’t,,,,Anna said.

The server smiled. “Miss Anna you haven’t changed a bit since 1975.”

“Xavier, you’re a terrible liar.”

Josef turned his attention to the old man. “Please tell me Xavier that you aren’t working here out of necessity. If so I’ll have words with that nephew of yours.

“Mr. Kostan, that money you invested to get him started on Cabbage Patch Kids changed the lives of my whole family. I just love this old place. I only work a few weeks in the summer now.

Josef nodded and turned back to Anna. “What are you having for dinner tonight?”

“The fish.”

“You hate fish.” Josef said.

“Yes, but it’s healthy and….

“Anna, life is too short. I’m not saying be reckless but for the next few days…..splurge.”

Anna wondered how short he thought her life was going to be, she had heard that vampires could smell disease. She changed the subject.

“The sky is beautiful today. The girls should have a great croquet game.

He shrugged. “They will stumble over each other just like you and your friends. In the end they’ll have a good time.” “You’ll meet all of them tonight at my private party.”

“Josef, those girls weren’t even born when I served you. They don’t want to spend time with an old woman. I'm just happy you invited me on this vacation.

“Anna, if I recall you had to spend time with Mary who served during the depression. They’ll be thrilled.

Anna laughed. “Or else?”

“Exactly.

“I remember those days.”

“You were always in trouble.”

“Trouble found me.” Anna insisted.

“Fortunately not serious trouble. You wouldn’t believe what young people get involved with these days. I ordered takeout in Chicago last week and it was laced with Ecstasy.”

“That’s unbelievable. Agencies are supposed to screen….

“Tell me about it. Josef agreed. “Well, they won’t be serving food anytime soon. His phone vibrated. He glanced at the caller ID. ‘I need to take this. Laura, this had better be good.”

Josef listened quietly for about twenty seconds and then said. “Burn the cotton-poly blend, find my Armani suit and tell that tailor if there is ever another mistake it will be his last.”

Anna chucked. “Is that the same Laura?”

“There is only one. She wanted to eat the tailor but it’s not worth a cleanup unless she can’t find my Armani.

“Laura, was a newbie back in the day.”

“Yeah she was two when we went to Greenbrier. Now she’s all grown up, .but still terrorizing freshies. Anna shall we head out to see the match?”

She slowly tried to rise from her chair and his strong arm lifted her up like a baby.

“Things used to be so easy back in the day.” She said quietly.

Josef nodded politely, he had heard this lament from hundreds of old women but he knew the truth. The only easy life was an immortal life.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Re: Things Used To Be So Easy PG-13 Cham Challenge #167

Post by Lilly »

Aww, I really love this, Carol. :hearts: It has a wonderful sweetness to it. Aging is a difficult proposition for any of us (humans, that is), but Anna seems to be doing so with grace and good humor. She certainly seems to have no regrets. And as formidable as he always is, Josef seems just a little softer around the edges when he's indulging with one of his older "girls."

This is really lovely. :blinksmile:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Josef sure has a soft side. I wonder if he will have a taste of her for old times sake, for his sweet tooth, or if he will let the memories lie down.
:hearts:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I really love stories where Josef lets his kinder side show a bit. Not that the other side isn't always on display, mind you. :snicker: (Although at least he's giving the tailor one more chance... assuming Laura can find the Armani. :winky: )

I hope Anna does indulge herself a little. Whether Josef noticed something bad or not, life is too short to pass up the yummy things every single day. She should enjoy this vacation to the fullest, and pass on some wisdom to the younger ladies. And flirt with Xavier, too. :hearts:

Thank you for this sweet, poignant look at a freshie in later life. She's lucky she's a Kostanista. :rose:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

A wonderfully sweet take on the challenge, Carol :hug:

Josef does have a soft side, one he shows to those he cares about, and Anna is definitely one he cares for. They have a history and while he'll never age, she has. Still, Josef has a soft spot for her. Not so much the tailor, though :snicker:
Anna wondered how short he thought her life was going to be, she had heard that vampires could smell disease. She changed the subject.
Smart woman, Anna. Enjoy the day, remember the past fondly and don't worry about tomorrow. Josef doesn't.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Lovely to see this side of Josef. Thanks for a great story!

:thanks:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Thank you so much for all the lovely comments.

Lilly - I do tend to live in the softer side of Josef but in particular when he is dealing with a "mature" freshie

Francis - I think that will depend on Anna. If he feels she wants it he'll probably go along.

Alle - I don't know if Anna has anything more wrong than diabetes but she should just relax and enjoy her vacation. There is no place like The Grand Hotel (although I haven't been to Greenbrier personally maybe it's even more incredible.

DSR - Josef is loyal and devoted to those who were to him and I agree Anna was special to him.

MLC - Thanks. It was fun to stretch my Josef muscles again
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

oh, gosh....to be that old gal on the porch with Josef.....you keep writing these and I'll keep enjoying them. This was warm and wonderful and just the softer side of JK.

THANKS!
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

I didn't remember this one, either! Enjoyed the reread. :reading:

I'm sure no one says it to his face, but Josef can be an old softie! :laugh: He always takes care of his freshies and always will. :yes:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, this is so fun! I hope Anna eats all the yummy things this weekend. At least a bite! :hearts: (And speaking of bites... wouldn't it be amazing to experience a Josef bite once more... :melts: )

When we were in Canada earlier this month, we spent a few days at a gorgeous old hotel, and we played croquet on the lawn! It was so fun! :teeth:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Thanks for bumping this, I completely forgot it. It's funny because while I've been to the Grand Hotel my sister and I have been talking about going to Greenbrier.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I had to look up Greenbrier. Wow! No wonder Josef likes it. It has a perfect blend of old luxury and modern convenience. And great golf! :teeth: I hope you and your sister get a chance to go!

Return to “cassysj's Office”