Afterglow, part seven (M/B/J, PG-13)

starbucksjunkie
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Home drinking my own Starbucks and watching my DVDs. There's a recession on!

Re: Afterglow, part seven (M/B/J, PG-13)

Post by starbucksjunkie »

Lordy, red. And on another board I was accused of being the Angst Queen. I gladly hand my crown to you. 8-)

You know I just adore this story. The latest chapter is no exception. Beth doing what Beth does best, deciding she can't sit by without putting her investigative skills to use. Mick getting ready for what's coming next. Josef being Josef. Making sure Mick is still committed.

I don't know how I feel about his newfound ruthlessness. His humanity is what we all fell in love with, but then again, he's a predator. He's ruthless when he has to be. And now he has something not only to protect but to defend. His happiness. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Isn't that what we all want? And when it's denied us, we get downright belligerent, especially when we spent decades in misery before we found it. So if he spills some blood to get what everybody else has, I don't blame him. :roll:

And the ending. Heartbreaking. Just so poignant.

"There is a degree to which . . . all literature, highbrow or low, from the Aeneid onward, is fan fiction . . . retelling and reimagining the stories that were told before us and that we have come of age loving--amateurs--we proceed, seeking out the blank places in the map that our favorite writers . . . have left for us . . ." -- Michael Chabon, Maps and Legends
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, sbj. It remains to be seen whether Mick can and will actually spill any blood in his pursuit of happiness. But he's sure thinking about it right now.

And Beth - well she just isn't a sit-on-the-sidelines kinda girl :).

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
JJRose
Kostan Industries intern

Post by JJRose »

oh my GOD...this story is so full of twists and turns and general, um, awesomeness that I don't know where to start. Except to say YES, that is my Beth, putting her skills to use in order to fight the good fight. Although I'm a little worried for her, since she hasn't seen Josef's graph and doesn't have a clue of the kind of mess she might be getting into. Then again, it wouldn't stop her if she did. LOVE that woman!

Mick is terrifying. I forget sometimes how scary he can be, and I love the way you are writing him on the warpath...focused, patient (barely), menacing. The Legion doesn't know what they've done by messing with him and the woman he loves.

That last scene, with the two of them connected in the only way they can be, through Beth's presence on the TV screen, was so heartbreaking and touching. I love that his response was to be proud of her rather than to let Josef feed any of his insecurities. That's exactly as it should be...Mick really does know her, he understands that she would throw herself into her work.

This has turned into such a wonderful chapter - can't wait for the next one!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

*waves to JJRose*

I'm SO happy to see you here - thanks for coming to read; it really is appreciated.

I think Mick and Beth are both benefiting from having something to keep them occupied - both of them are on the warpath in their own ways. And in spite of his urgings to Mick, so is Josef....

Red

penni31
Mortal

Post by penni31 »

Just wanted to tell you that I stayed up way way past my bedtime to finish this story thanks so much for keeping Moonlight alive for me. :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

LOL. That's high praise indeed, penni31.

I'm delighted you're enjoying the story.

Red

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

JJRose wrote:oh my GOD...this story is so full of twists and turns and general, um, awesomeness that I don't know where to start. Except to say YES, that is my Beth, putting her skills to use in order to fight the good fight. Although I'm a little worried for her, since she hasn't seen Josef's graph and doesn't have a clue of the kind of mess she might be getting into. Then again, it wouldn't stop her if she did. LOVE that woman!

Hmmm... JJRose is right... Beth is going thru a tough time and really throwing herself into the fight now... perhaps she needs a dream, a really FINE dream, or a very intense memory even, of her time with Mick... oh some lovely time or two with Mick... to strengthen her resolve and give her the courage to go on... hmmmm.... ??

Ok, I'll back slooooooowly out of your thread now... 8-)
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Grace, the dream is coming.

Soon.

Kinda.

Red

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:Grace, the dream is coming.

Soon.

Kinda.

Red

Oh ok... if you insist I mean... 8-)
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Look what I found! :clapping:

Like PNW, I didn't cry though this one. But I still felt it. The emotions of the characters you write just jump off the page, grab me, and don't let go.

I'm caught between thinking Beth is going stumble and make things worse, or she's going to stumble onto something important that will be a real turning point.

Mick watching her on the screen... oh, my.

Thanks for writing more of this, Red!
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Aw, MLC, I'm so happy you came back to this story!!

Beth will act first and deal with the consequences later. Would we have her any other way?

Chapter 8 is under way, so, hopefully it won't be too long to wait...

Thanks again for the read and the lovely comment.

Red

bank1115
Fledgling

Post by bank1115 »

Red it is so difficult for me to type a comment right now because my eyes are almost totally swollen shut from crying! I stepped away from this and went to the grocery store. The whole time there I kept thinking about this story and how utterly sad it makes me though so beautifully written. At this point I can deal with the sorrow and the angst and to be honest-I do love a good mystery! I'm looking forward to where you are going with this but be warned if anything happens to either Mick or Beth I will hunt you down and....kays
Beautiful banner by Phoenix
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

While waiting for the next part I just had to read this part again. That last paragraph with Mick watching Beth on tv was so beautiful and I think it motivated him even more to get to the bottom of all the trouble going on so they can be together again! :hankie: :heart: :rose:

mitzie
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

kays, thanks and I'm sorry! I know how much this story makes you cry - and that you hate sad stories. Oh, and now you've made me a little scared......

mitzie, I'm so happy you came back for a re-read. And yes, Mick is certainly motivated... :)

Red

Liana
Freelance freshie

Post by Liana »

I'm so happy I've found this story again!!
2 chapters to catch up with...

I'm crying like an idiot here... If you don't bring them back together at the end it will be too heartbreaking!!
I guess a "war" between vamps and humans will always exist, but at least they need to win this battle for each other!!

I'm very scared for Beth... She'll get into trouble hunting down the Legion, and her guardian angel won't be there to save her...
I so want to believe Pete is a good guy and trustworthy, but I'm still not sure about it...
Is he human?! :whistle:

Return to “Afterglow”