Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 3: Dr. Feelgood

Jade
Fledgling

Re: Dr. Feelgood (Episode Three)

Post by Jade »

^ you made me want to watch it now lol, my niece want me to wait so we can watch them all together, but i'll probably just re-watch them with her, i think i'll watch the 4th tomorrow if i have the time.
Kade1301
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Kade1301 »

I rather like the episode as well - I think the only thing that's missing is a bad guy... The professor never meant to turn Pollock, and I can forgive him for not checking more thoroughly that his victim was really dead - after all, he had just been run over (really, the hit-and run-driver is the only villain in the episode...). I only blame him for not going to Pollock's house immediately after Mick told him about the turning - but let's say he needed all day to find the address that went with the license plate.

Will somebody throw rotten tomatoes when I see a certain similarity between Gerald remembering his pork buns and Mick the prime rib in B.C.? I find them both very convincing - and cute (mind you, a life without chocolate...)

And Pollock was just a victim - not his fault nobody told him how to behave. Mick really should have cut off his head before burning him - what is it with vampires burning each other alive?

The Mick/Beth interaction was just fabulous from beginning to end - actually, isn't the opening scene in the apartment the only time in all 16 episodes when Beth is at a loss for words? "How am I supposed... are you the only one..." doesn't sound like a well-thought out interview to me. And she could have changed the topic before getting thrown out - looks like for once she's overwhelmed and not really knowing what she's doing (which, considering how easily people in fiction accept the existence of vampires, werewolves, etc. is actually a good thing IMHO).

But I got sidetracked here, I really wanted to say that I loved the scene in the morgue, where Beth makes it clear again that she worries a lot less about Mick being a vampire than Mick himself. And Mick's look after the "Then it's a good thing I got you around." is priceless! And that he's now willing to explain how a human is turned into a vampire indicates to me that he's pretty much okay with discussing vampire technicalities in general - as long as he's not required to talk about his feelings (or particularly Coralyne). Now, if Beth had picked up on that, she could have asked all the questions we'd like an answer to - like "Really, in a freezer? Why?"

Of course Beth again refuses to stay in the car (that's the last time Mick asks her to, isn't it? Good for him), she even begins to understand when it's better to stop interrogating (I love the "I'm sorry" - "You're not, trust me."), and she saves his life - again (though should a paralyzed vampire be able to speak? It would have been better if Mick had explained first-aid measures for vampires beforehand...).

Great stuff - they even managed a more realistic-looking car ride.

I've just a few minor quibbles: When Josef says "Call the Cleaner" it sounds like there's only one (which would make sense for the plot - one person who knows of all the messes) - and then later we get a whole army of them. And Mick says "there's no big clubhouse where we all hang out" - but isn't that where he goes in The Mortal Cure? And why does Mick point a gun at a vampire????

Bye, Kade
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I see the "Call the Cleaner" as kind of a generic statement. "Call the plumber" "Call the doctor"...all meant to refer to "call a doctor," or call "a plumber." It may be that different vamps have different cleaner crews they prefer. Or it may be one of those services where a call comes into a central dispatching office, and the next available cleaner is sent out.

Lucky
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

Yeah, I took it as generic as well. Los Angeles is a biiiiiiiiig city, so there should be more than one Cleaner. :thumbs:

The gun thing threw me too, but perhaps Mick has silver bullets in it? I dunno.
*Christy*

Kade1301
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Kade1301 »

No, Mick does not have silver bullets in his gun (and I wonder why? We should write it into the handbook for vampire detectives) - otherwise Beth would have had more success shooting the plastic surgeon in Fated to Pretend.

The central dispatching office for the cleaners makes some sense - but shouldn't the lady then have to check before rattling off the incidents of the last few nights? And whereas L.A. is a big city, there's only a few hundred vampires. Many of them don't usually feed on live humans (Terrence has a customer list two pages long), and others clean up after themselves (remember the tar pits?). So there shouldn't be all THAT much work for the cleaner...

BTW, I still wonder who made disappear Professor Ellis and his TA from episode 1 (seeing how surprised the Cleaner was to see Mick, it was probably not her/them). And who changed the lamp post?
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I did actually enjoy this episode a lot more then I did previously. The accidental sire you could almost feel sorry for until he staked Mick. I also do wonder if he survived his run in with the Cleaners. I was trying to figure out how the doctor could go so quickly from saving lives to eating his family. I got to thinking maybe as a doctor he had a "God" complex such as liking the power to save lives and as an untrained vamp that turned to taking lives.

I'm enjoying watching the series again since I haven't seen it in a while.
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

I have to admit that Dr. Feelgood was my least favorite episode the first time through. I thought it was kind of weak. Maybe I was expecting more after OOTP's "I'm a vampire" ending line.

However, now having watched it more there are so many deeper things in there that I didn't catch. The whole conversation between Beth and Mick about the doctor having killed his wife just went by me the first time. Beth is saying how cruel it is to kill your wife and Mick just kind of takes it (he is a monster after all).
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

This is the place to discuss the episode as we watch together...
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Ready.... go!
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Ready?

ETA: Oops, Lily, beat me to it..
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I love the expression on Beth's face when she's working up her courage to knock.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

She's awfully insensitive there. :sigh:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

I love ALL the expressions on his face in this scene. He so rocked this scene.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I don't think it's fair to say she was insensitive. She doesn't know ANYTHING.
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Texting!
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo

Return to “Episode Discussion”