Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 4: Fever

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Fever (Episode Four)

Post by francis »

I guess the counterweight system pulled the ladder up on its own after Leni jumped off. That's how these ladders work.
Leni calls the daughter of the man who wants to kill her (and shouldn't the girl be in bed by 10.30?) apparently never thinking that Mara might let something slip (which she then does at the first opportunity...).
I don't think it was the phone call that brought the thug in, he was way too fast for that. Or Mara's phone was rigged without her knowing it. Because I don't think the child went to her father telling him "I just got a call from Leni for my birthday, and she told me exactly where she's staying." The call might have been a coincidence, to throw the police to believe that the officer was a traitor.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, francis. :thumbs:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

About that walk in the desert--Mick has no idea who he can trust. He's already suspicious of the guy dressed as a cop (or is it sheriff? Or both?), so for all he knows, the sirens in the distance are bringing more bad guys to kill Leni and him. They CAN'T stay in the shade, much as Mick would like to. The immediate danger is from the people with guns, missiles, etc. They HAVE to walk into the desert.

I agree with francis about Leni's phone call to Mara. I think it was a red herring. (For people who don't know English slang, a red herring is an item or event put into a detective story as a false clue, to make the reader/audience go off in the wrong direction mentally, instead of figuring out the case too soon.)
Kade1301
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Kade1301 »

I didn't mean that Leni's call to Mara had any negative consequences in the story - I mean it's stupid to phone the daughter of the guy you are hiding from - on principle. You never know who might listen, you don't know who might get hold of the phone and check the incoming calls, and children do talk first and think about the consequences afterwards. So birthday or no birthday, Leni should just have kept quiet. Even if it didn't matter in the end...

Regarding the desert walk: When the car was destroyed, there was no reason for Fayed to believe Mick and Leni were still alive, so there was no reason to search. Plus the desert is big - it's not easy to find somebody even if you search (and if Fayed had had any talented tracker following them, stumbling on and on wouldn't have saved Mick and Leni - didn't look to me as if they were making good time). So I'd have found a good hiding place in the shade and waited for evening...

Bye, Kade
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

But could Mick be sure that the guy they just dodged wouldn't still be after them? Mick had no phone reception in the desert. Chances are neither did the killer. They couldn't sit on the side of the road where they would be targets and it wasn't likely anyone would come looking for them since they were suppose to be dead. They HAD to move and find some form of civilization.

*edited to correct a handful of typos.
Last edited by GuardianAngel on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Exactly. Mick knew the bogus "cop" was still out there--and that he'd get a ride somehow, and how obvious is a burning hulk of an ex-police car? They HAD to get out of there. And they had to get away from the road.
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Just a thought. Mick was called in specifically because there was a leak within the law enforcement community. He knew there was a leak at the L.A. end, and he knew there was something wrong with the Victorville police officer. He probably would conclude the "officer" was fake and maybe killed the real officer, but he could not be certain. What he did know was that the enemy was well armed and had a long reach. The sirens were in the air and he couldn't be sure whether they were friend or foe. When that happens, it is a good bet to hide. (IMHO)
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Yep...my point exactly. He couldn't afford to stay put.
Kade1301
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Kade1301 »

Well, "hiding" does not mean walking in plain sight - a search helicopter would have spotted them.

And I never suggested they stay by the roadside (wasn't all that much shade there, anyway). No, find a good hiding place out of the sun, and then "you must wait during the desert day, even if it kills you" as the RAF taught in their desert survival training courses in 1971.

Bye, Kade
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

I hear what you're saying, Kade but I can't agree. Even in the shade, Mick wouldn't have lasted long out in the desert. He needed to find somewhere cool. The hotel wasn't the best but he did have that tub of ice. And they needed phone reception too. If they had just found a place to hide in the shade there would have been no more Leni.
Kade1301
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Kade1301 »

GuardianAngel wrote:Even in the shade, Mick wouldn't have lasted long out in the desert. He needed to find somewhere cool.
What makes you think so? I always thought the Moonlight vampires are bothered (hurt, killed) only by direct sunlight. They all seem to be out and about in daylight, just staying in the shade or indoors as much as possible. If heat was a problem, why would a few hundred vampires stay in L.A.? Aren't summer nights rather hot there?

You are right about the phone reception, though - and I've always wondered how Leni suddenly got it.. (BTW, wouldn't the motel have a landline? Or satellite, or whatever they used to have in remote locations before cellphones...)

Bye, Kade
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Ready?
NM911
LIVE WIDE
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Ready, go!
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

That reminds me. I have to update the Who Said it thread.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I love Beth. Who would cheat on this?

Return to “Episode Discussion”