Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 5: Arrested Development

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Arrested Development (Episode Five)

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:But that's what makes Mick/Beth so much more interesting - Mick tells us here that he has experienced great, all-consuming love. Yet, when push comes to shove, he chooses Beth. Without that backdrop, Mick/Beth would just be vamp meets girl.

Red

Because I came to the show late, I saw this ep AFTER seeing the Ringer, and FdL (I got hold of the first 5 eps after watching FdL)... so I wasn't surprised he imagined Cora instead of Beth. I kinda saw the show as a love triangle... cause my first eps were about his fascination and obsession with Cora... and he seemed to be developing a relationship with Beth but not yet able to throw off his first, enduring, and decades-long obsession with his vixen of a wife.

It gave me a different perspective than for most of you I think. For better or worse... Cora just seemed such an intrinsic part of him to me.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

dsr, I certainly thinks that's a part of his fear.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

redwinter101 wrote:But that's what makes Mick/Beth so much more interesting - Mick tells us here that he has experienced great, all-consuming love. Yet, when push comes to shove, he chooses Beth. Without that backdrop, Mick/Beth would just be vamp meets girl.

Red
Maybe that's the core of the dichotomy they were trying to show between Mick and the teenvamp. Mick had a chance at redemption. Teenvamp thinks his hell is solely due to his perpetual adolescence, but in reality it's because he has never sacrificed himself for another. It's always been about HIM. He is the center of his own universe. Whereas Mick has had two huge relationships in which he put the other person first: first Coraline, and then Beth. Beth's importance in Mick's life is not just that she is his second great love. She is the hook that he was able to anchor himself to in order to break away from his relationship with Coraline. Yes, he thought he killed Coraline; but even after she came back into his life, he had that anchor to Beth to bring himself back from madness. (And before I go too far off the topic of this episode, I'll stop here.)
mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

wpgrace wrote: Because I came to the show late, I saw this ep AFTER seeing the Ringer, and FdL (I got hold of the first 5 eps after watching FdL)... so I wasn't surprised he imagined Cora instead of Beth. I kinda saw the show as a love triangle... cause my first eps were about his fascination and obsession with Cora... and he seemed to be developing a relationship with Beth but not yet able to throw off his first, enduring, and decades-long obsession with his vixen of a wife.

It gave me a different perspective than for most of you I think. For better or worse... Cora just seemed such an intrinsic part of him to me.
She was...for better or for worse. What would've been interesting to see would have been Cora and Beth competing for his affections instead of the writers wrapping her up with a bow and sending her off with her one-eyed brother. I'm thinking it wouldn't have been such a clear or easy choice if he'd actually had to make it. That was cop-out.

I'm ready. :tomato:

"Damn this man and his eternal hotness!" -SirenSong
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I agree, mwj. And I'm sure I'll have a lot more to say on that particular subject when we get to TMC.

Red

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

No tomahtoes from me, mwj.

Everyone is aware of my dislike for Cora (of which I will be receiving therapy for shortly) however, I don't think that we had seen the last of her. There were still loose ends to tie up---Mick seemed to say he had let go of her at Josh's funeral; then she gave him the cure, sacrificed herself for him--there was a lot to sink your teeth into still.
mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

Me too Red, and we can never really forgive the writers, can we? :comfort:

And Fleur, if I didn't know better I'd have thought you'd already started your therapy sessions. ;)

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

mwj01 wrote:Me too Red, and we can never really forgive the writers, can we? :comfort:

And Fleur, if I didn't know better I'd have thought you'd already started your therapy sessions. ;)

Right now, I am at the primal scream therapy stage, but I am hoping that progress is being made!
mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

LOL! Well, it's a start!

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:offtopic:

I did actually succeed in making Lisa feel sorry for Coraline in one story. She admitted it through gritted teeth - but there was sympathy. So there is hope.

Red

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Empathy works too... I usually feel more empathy with Cora than sympathy for her... I get her obsession with MIck... I don't have fangs, but I get the obsession. And he had the obsession for her. That, the complete love, the trouble letting go, the losing yourself in another, as mwj says for better or worse, is what he revealed here.

And I find that to be one of the fascinating aspects of his character. Josef is right; he IS still carrying her around.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

redwinter101 wrote::offtopic:

I did actually succeed in making Lisa feel sorry for Coraline in one story. She admitted it through gritted teeth - but there was sympathy. So there is hope.

Red
That is because you are so gifted, my dear. And Anniversary is so :beep: ing amazing, and well-written. Let's just say that Cora owes you a big thank you.

I will leave it to someone else to lead us back on topic. All I've got our shallow comments concerning how hot Mick looked in this ep.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

I had a much simpler view on why Mick thought of Coraline. He didn't love Beth yet. Coraline was still THE love of his life. She was the one he would have done anything for. I think it's still a few more episodes before Mick falls in love with Beth. Or at least that he begins to admit it.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

GuardianAngel wrote:I had a much simpler view on why Mick thought of Coraline. He didn't love Beth yet. Coraline was still THE love of his life. She was the one he would have done anything for. I think it's still a few more episodes before Mick falls in love with Beth. Or at least that he begins to admit it.

I agree... tho I think it is the kiss, at the end of this one, that proves a bit of a revelation to him... think of that smile...

darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

wpgrace wrote:
GuardianAngel wrote:I had a much simpler view on why Mick thought of Coraline. He didn't love Beth yet. Coraline was still THE love of his life. She was the one he would have done anything for. I think it's still a few more episodes before Mick falls in love with Beth. Or at least that he begins to admit it.

I agree... tho I think it is the kiss, at the end of this one, that proves a bit of a revelation to him... think of that smile...
and every time I think of that smile, I start grinning like a fool....
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!

Return to “Episode Discussion”