Syn's Story- Before the FOS PG 13

jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Syn's Story- Before the FOS PG 13

Post by jenstc2003 »

Syclaire's Story- Before the FOS
Synclaire’s Story- Ch. 1- Before the FOS
Disclaimer: No, I don’t own anyone you recognize.
Rating- PG 13
Notes: This story developed from the basic situation that has been created on the Willing Freshies Society threads, which have taken the characters and realities from Moonlight, and gone in an alternate direction with them. This is reposted here because of the imminent closing of the WFF.

May 27, 2008- Outside the door of the FOS
Ordinarily, I’m fairly normal- or as normal as anyone is, anyway. I have a perfectly normal career- or I will as soon as I get through my last two classes and can officially be named a full professor at UCLA- it’s a mere formality at this point, or so I’ve heard. I have a number of fun, very normal friends- friends who would never understand why I am where I am now. I have a dog, which I spoil rotten- a nice condo that I own free and clear... there’s nothing I need. I never would have believed I’d be doing this- but it feels so perfectly right. Like I already belong in this world that I’m about to join. Only when I got my formal invitation to join the girls of the WFS did I feel comfortable enough to actually consider the reality of what I was considering- I not only wanted to know about the world I’d met only for a moment 13 years ago, but I wanted to be part of it. As soon as I learned about the WFS, I knew I was willing. I had only one other experience with vampires- and by rights it should have scared me away… but here I am- about to meet one face to face, and I am more excited than I have ever been.

My journey here began on December 20, 1995 at my family’s house in the Hollywood Hills.

I had just gotten home from ballet practice when it happened. I was sitting down to do some of my homework on the couch, next to Mom, who was watching TV and giving me help with the algebra that I detested. I was only 15 and had just finished dinner- a delicious porterhouse steak and baked potato that Mom had cooked on the grill to celebrate the beginning of Christmas Break. She tended to do that- throw a celebration for no reason other than the fact that she wanted to. A perfect night- a happy family scene.

I can still remember the glass of our large French doors cracking like a thunder clap, and a big, hulking man coming through it, a mad, silvery gleam in his eyes. He grabbed us, crushing us together for a moment, then sniffed at both of us, as if we were dinner. Then, he pulled my Mom away from me, viciously forcing her into his arms, and attaching his mouth to her neck with an audible snarl. I could hear her shouting through the chaos for me to leave- to save myself- as he attacked her, though I really had no idea what he was. I was scared out of my mind- but I listened. I knew I could do nothing for her, so I ran out the back door, hunting for my Dad. Unfortunately, the visitor had found him first. As I turned the corner towards the front of the property, his body was laid on the pathway, his throat almost completely destroyed. I ran, screaming as loudly as I could towards our neighbors. As soon as I got there, I called 911 and then finally allowed myself to cry. Stunned and overwhelmed with grief, and horrified by the violence I’d witnessed, I went to my best friend’s place for the night, where her parents cared for me while more permanent arrangements could be arranged.

I never quite believed what I saw that night- but it stuck with me. I moved to Idaho, where I lived with my Aunt Grace and Uncle Terry- dear people who I almost immediately began to call Mom and Dad- and I made an amazing recovery, in most people’s opinion. I was as outwardly normal as any other girl my age. But the memory never went away- not for long at least. I had never been much of a fan of anything supernatural, but the vision of the man with the silver eyes haunted me from that night on and I became a little obsessed with finding out what he was. I knew somewhere in my heart what he had to be- but it made no sense. Only after I read Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles novels my senior year in high school- did I begin to give the idea any credence whatsoever- after all, the whole series is premised on the possibility that vampires are living in secret among us. I began to ask myself a simple question- why should it be dismissed as categorically impossible in reality? After all, there are plenty of things we don’t know about those around us every day… why not? It was a nagging theory that I kept to myself.

I didn’t do much with my theory until I was ready to leave home. I had my MA from Boise State by that point, and then I found an opening at LA Central Tech for an English adjunct to help out in their Freshman Comp program, and applied for the PhD program at UCLA. I took a Graduate Assistant position when it was offered to me, though, and teach Freshman Comp at UCLA instead.

So I moved back to LA. I knew I was going back to find out if my theory was right, even if I couldn’t admit it to myself. I never expected it would do more than confirm my suspicions, after which I could return to my usual life. When I sold my parent’s old condo- which Mom and Dad had kept for me, using it for rental income- and bought one of my own not too far away, Mom and Dad were a little irate- but eventually they understood that I had to go back. They didn’t know why, but they understood. I just wish I could share this with them. They’d never understand if I could.

Once I hit campus, I met a couple of girls who were very much into the idea of vampires- more intensely than I ever imagined one could be. One of them- Liane- told me that she had been to this bar that was frequented by vampires, allegedly, though she didn’t know if it was completely true. She didn’t remember much about the night, except for a rather nasty hickie the next morning. But I went with her to the bar- though I didn’t end up with a hickie, I did see some interesting characters. None of them of the fanged variety that I could tell. But she knew a girl who belonged to a “service”, as she put it, and Liane introduced me to her. She couldn’t say much, but said that she would use her contacts on my behalf if I thought I was "willing". I wasn't exactly sure what she meant, but I went along. At the least I was curious, and I expected I would have the chance to back out if I needed it. She wouldn’t say more, but offered me a black envelope with a red ribbon and seal a few days later, and I was introduced to the Willing Freshie Society. The idea- allowing a vampire to feed on you- was instantly fascinating, and I knew I was definitely willing. Last night, I was brought into the fold officially. Tonight, I meet the vampires. What had only been a fantasy to me before a week ago- intriguing, but not physically real, is about to be proven correct- and I can hardly wait. I knock on the door, any hint of fear long past.

Part 2:
Syn’s Introduction to the FOS Gang

*Syn, looking back at her first night at the FOS from the present time*

I felt like such a dolt, carrying a basket of cookies to the vampire’s lair- but the thought of meeting a vampire in person was just too fascinating, and I knew there were bound to be other mortals around who might appreciate the offering, if what I’d heard was right. It didn’t take long for the door to be opened to me, and I was ushered into the FOS by a little bit of a thing named CPRAV, who I almost immediately sized up as a bitingly sarcastic person, but one who I would no doubt get along with famously. Something about the way she reacted a few minutes later when I told them I had seen worse than the French maid’s costume VG was holding up at the time kind of gave that away.

I could see the room was full of people- including one stunning man, who was off to the side of the room with some of the other girls. Just from his relaxed, confident demeanor, you could tell he was the master of the house, and I was introduced to him almost immediately. Mick. I never knew then how much I’d come to respect him when I shook his hand for the first time, but I immediately liked him, and I was happy that he seemed to welcome me with open arms.

I was introduced to all of the sisters who were there- VG, Sparrow, Selena, and CPRAV. Sparrow left pretty quickly, but I chatted with the others for a while. Mick left the room with VG after she tried to leave rather abruptly, leading her into his office after they’d had a private discussion across the room. I wish I’d known what was going on… but I never did find that out. I had a good long conversation with Mick before that, though, which made me feel considerably more relaxed.

Mick returned after a sojourn in the office with VG and we picked back up where we’d left off. From the smile on VG’s face, I knew it wasn’t just filing they were doing in there. But I’d find out about that soon enough. All I knew was that if it was what I thought, I couldn’t wait till it was my turn. But that would have to wait. When he settled beside me, VG on his other side, and wrapped his arm around me, I was instantly comfortable. There aren’t many people who inspire that much trust in me that easily, and I immediately knew he was someone I would come to know as a dear friend. And that’s what’s happened. I laughed when he told me that he’d figured out my nickname already- little did I know what a rarity it was for a Freshie to be given a nickname on her first night. Synful it was, though- and I knew then I’d have to work to live up to it, which I have. I loved it, and the nickname was too perfect because it was such a contradiction. That was my first glimpse of Mick’s subtle sense of humor- which is very much like my own. There’s no wonder that we get along so well.

Later in the evening, I got to meet some of the other girls- Minka, MB, and Em. MB, CPRAV and I sat around chatting for a long time, actually- and C more than confirmed my suspicions about her being a wonderfully snarky person as we did. We had great fun, and I relaxed almost immediately. I didn’t really get to know Minka or Sel very well that night- but I liked both of them instantly, and became good friends with both of them as the weeks and months went on, Sel especially, as she was always around. Em and I really hit it off- in fact, she’d become one of my best friends at the FOS. We’re painfully similar And MB and I were instantly pals as well. Her curiosity made me smile, and her zest for life was unmistakable. She and I became dear, dear friends as well, and we would often sit up late at night, talking about anything.

Sparrow returned later in the evening for a little while… but we never really had the chance to talk much that night. In fact, I was a bit intimidated by her at first, because she can be rather hard to get to know. I still smile when I remember her calling me Probie on my first night, though, because it wasn’t until much later that we realized that we shared a predilection for NCIS, and she began to call me Probie as a nickname. It was a long road, and it took a long time, but she would become one of my dearest friends at the FOS.

VG was another girl that I never really got to know so well that first night, since she left so early, but it turned out that we have very similar personalities, and it wasn’t long before we were chatting it up as well, though she never was around as much as some of the others. I should have known we would be great friends after her warm welcome when I arrived that first night, though. Such a sweet person and one of the girls I have the most in common with, as it turns out, so you can imagine that we also became very dear friends very quickly.

Later in the evening, I met Des, who is one of the funniest and sweetest women I know. I count her as a dear friend as well, and she’s one of the girls I wish I’d gotten a chance to know better. Unfortunately, business kept her away from the FOS much of the time.

The night progressed quickly as I got to know the girls who were there, until another gentleman arrived. The legendary Josef- who had already been mentioned several times through the evening. I was surprised when I first saw him- he looked nothing like I had imagined. He looked to be about 24, but his presence was more imposing than Mick’s, somehow. It must be because he wears his 400 years like a mantle, though I didn’t know that at the time. He immediately commented on the gift he’d given to all of the girls- the French maid’s costumes that VG had been showing to everyone earlier. He, of course, teased me about my name, calling me “very tempting”, which made me laugh. I knew I’d like him right away. His whiskey colored eyes twinkled with amusement, and he was obviously a much more relaxed personality than Mick. But it took me a long time before I relaxed around him the way I did with Mick. Listening to him banter with Sel and Em, though, I certainly could understand how a girl could find him attractive. He’s a born charmer, and droll as anything, not to mention being very handsome. He just wasn’t the type I could warm up to easily. I never realized how important that would be until I made my decision to go Ex to Mick.

It was a perfect first night, and the days to come were equally wonderful. I have never regretted it, and I know that I never will.
Jen

Mick's Synful One
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Syn's Story- Before the FOS PG 13

Post by francis »

This is a wonderful start to the freshie story of Syn. Thank you.
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Re: Syn's Story- Before the FOS PG 13

Post by jenstc2003 »

You're so welcome Francis!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it!!
francis wrote:This is a wonderful start to the freshie story of Syn. Thank you.
Jen

Mick's Synful One

Return to “Freshie Fic”