redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Afterglow, part nine (PG-13) - TEASER

Post by redwinter101 »

Title: Afterglow
Author: redwinter101
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: I don't own Moonlight or any of its characters
Note: I had hoped to get chapter nine finished before the site move, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen now. So here's a little teaser in the meantime...

*******************************************************************************************************

--- Afterglow, part 9 ---

Previously:

"Because, Beth, whatever stones you've turned over, you've alerted someone to what we're up to. Carlyle changed his security when he got back to LA and that's what got Mick so badly injured. Carlyle knew we were coming and he was ready. Mick took six silver bullets and, if I'm honest, he nearly died. I'm not trying to scare you... What am I saying, I am trying to scare you in the hope that, for once, you'll listen to my advice and just stop." He waited for her response. "Beth? Are you still there?" He could hear her strained breathing, a strangled sob. "Beth, I'm sorry to be so brutal, but you have to understand what's at stake. You can't just steamroller through this. We have to quiet and careful."

Beth winced at the squeak and crunch of fresh snow underfoot as she sidled into the alley. The snow was a mixed blessing, reflecting enough light from the heavy, sallow moon to ensure Pete could get some usable footage without night-vision, but to Beth's heightened senses, it announced her presence like a klaxon. Flattened against the humming brick of the rear of the Excelsior Hotel, heart pounding, adrenaline coursing, she peered through still-falling flakes to the third floor fire escape. She could barely make out Pete's dark-clad form, crouched, camera poised.

She checked her watch again, shielding the luminescent glow. 2:57am. If Carlyle were true to form, he would exit the hotel on the stroke of three o'clock. Beth could barely contain her anxiety as she moved deeper into the alley, desperate to see who would be waiting and what the purpose of this night's meeting would be. She craned her neck to peer round the final corner. The wide brim of the man's hat popped into view. Another inch, an arm, a gloved hand clutching a large envelope. One more step, a shoulder, the edge of a profile. She took one tiny step to the side to bring him into full focus just as the service door to the hotel swung open, spilling a pool of stark fluorescence into the moon-bathed alley. Carlyle, picked out in relief against the pale interior before the door swung shut behind him. A puff of his usual cigar smoke spiralled through the still air. A voice, too faint to make out, friendly, flowing with easy familiarity.

Another step forward. A glance up to Pete, intent, focused. She hoped he was getting this. Her jacket snagged against a rough shard of wall, drawing her attention as she pulled it free, a curse under her breath for the tiny tear.

She started to turn back.

Pete heard the clatter as her falling flashlight bounced against metal pipe.

That was all he heard, her scream stifled by the arm snaking round from behind, clamping across her throat, another hand to her mouth. She struggled, looked in vain to Pete for help, saw a flash of metal, heard the crash as his camera fell.

They never saw them coming.

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
lorig
Fledgling

Re: Afterglow, part nine (PG-13) - TEASER

Post by lorig »

:tongue: You are such a TEASE!!! Now my curiosity has been piqued and it is going to fester and brew until we get the whole thing. :rose: I really am looking forward to the rest. I am scared crappless for Beth now :gasp: Thank you Red! :smooch:
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Aggghhh!!! Tease is right dear Red!!!!!

Well it figured that Beth was gonna get into some kind of trouble... it was just a matter of time.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear!!!!!

And it looks good, honey, can't wait to read the longer version... :hyper:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

Now that I am finally caught up with this story, you put a real teaser out there. I had hoped that Beth was going to heed the warning but I guess not. I hope the board move goes well and look forward to the continuation of this story. In the meantime will have to catch up on the library. Thank you.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

lorig, Grace, Moonlightsonata, I know; I am a shocking tease.

All things being equal, by the time the board comes back up next week, chapter 9 will be ready to go.

Red

Raven
Fledgling

Post by Raven »

Oh.........boy. I can't believe she blew off Josef's request...Mick was almost killed...is she kidding me? And she's a klutz to boot! Oh boy...poor Mick, when he finds out...oh boy...Josef is going to blow out a fang!
The suspense has triplicated! This was a brilliant little teaser trick, Red! Please, you must update soon!
Thank you TugaFanatic for my brilliant avi.
Thank you moonnoir for my wonderful banner.
norsmyth
Kostan Industries intern

Post by norsmyth »

"Josef is going to blow out a fang! "----hey Raven, just loved that line and so appropriate with Beth's absolute disregard of Josef's orders! Can't wait for this to continue Red---a teaser is just not enough!!
:groupwave:
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

Red, I had forgotten about this story until I saw a reference to it on another thread. I have a hard time keeping up with my favorites. Need to start writing them down, with a reference to chapters read. Anyway, now that I have caught up with this one, yikes. Yeah, you are teaser queen! That Beth! Will she ever learn? (And yes, I would do the same as she!)
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh lord...
I am positively furious at Beth right now. If she weren't in so much danger I'd just give her SUCH a slap!!! How dare she do this to Josef and Mick when there's so much at stake!?

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... :grumble:

(and, of course...I'm scared to death for her, too) :chair:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Raven, hmmm, Josef's reaction really depends on what happens next, methinks.

norsmyth, some people just will not be told what to do. Josef should have known. Thanks for stopping by to read :).

:wave: Woll!!! Delighted you found this story again! BTW, whenever I update, I also update my index, so I'm fairly easy to keep track of!!

alle> :slappy: <Beth

Furious and scared is probably what Mick's reaction would be too - and he's had lots of practice where Beth is concerned. But what about Josef?

Red

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

GAH!!!! :gasp:

You. Are. EVIL. :devil:

Beth is just bound and determined to get into trouble, isn't she? And now she's dragged Pete into it...I hope he's ok. I really like him.

I shall be waiting anxiously, my friend.... :hug:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:devil: :devil: :devil:

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

You know what they say about teasers.....

Red! I can't believe you are torturing us like this! And Beth. Josef TOLD her to BACK OFF! WTF? I know she wants to be useful. I know she wants to get back to Mick. But she's putting them all in further jeopardy.

I can barely breathe here. Please don't let Pete be part of the set-up. Please.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote: alle> :slappy: <Beth

:coffee: ... now I also wanna read THAT fic...

And Pgal... I do not personally TRUST Pete... :juggle:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

GA, I promise that you will find out one way or the other in chapter 9 (about Pete). See? Not really that much of a tease....

Grace, um, same goes, k?

Red

Return to “Afterglow”