Stargate Universe - news, links, discussion

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Stargate Universe - news, links, discussion

Post by redwinter101 »

I'm really enjoying this too. :D I've been a fan of all the SG series so far, so I'm glad this is living up to expectations. I'm particularly taken with Colonel Young - precisely the kind of leader you'd hope to end up with if you were unfortunate enough to be stranded billions of light years from Earth...

I liked the building of tension among the crew this week - that rang true. It hasn't taken long for fear to turn to dissent - and maybe even potential mutiny. Looking forward to finding out what happens next.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

I think it's the realism that I'm enjoying so much too. I love that they actually recognized the hell I've gone through each time I cut myself off coffee, cold-turkey. I can connect with that! As I'm sure all those who have tried to cut out tobacco cold-turkey could also relate. I love that no one is a pure stereotype. They just all seem so "real" and are reacting the way real people would it such an "unreal" situation.
banner by Cprav
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

This is a very interesting analysis blog that was recommended (via Twitter) by Brian Jacob Smith who plays Lt. Scott: Alasdair Stuart - All Alone In The Night: Stargate Universe
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

New blog from Eli: Choosing Nicknames
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
Josefismysire
Courtesan

Post by Josefismysire »

This should make David (and TPTB at Syfy) do the happy happy dance!! :hyper: :hyper:

Syfy Makes History With Record-Breaking Ratings

Posted on 27 October 2009 by Bill Gorman

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/10/27/sy ... ce=twitter

SYFY MAKES HISTORY WITH RECORD-BREAKING RANKINGS

SYFY POSTS BEST OCTOBER EVER IN TOTAL VIEWERS, ADULTS 18-34, ADULTS 18-49, ADULTS 25-54, WOMEN 18-34, WOMEN 18-49 AND WOMEN 25-54

Syfy Leaps Into #3 Among A25-54 and #4 in A18-49 –

Best Performance in Seven Years

New York, NY – October 27, 2009 – Extending its summer ratings surge into fall, Syfy smashed yet another viewership record with its most watched October prime in history among total viewers (1,452,000), Adults 18-34 (308,000), Adults 18-49 (733,000), Adults 25-54 (797,000), Women 18-34 (141,000), Women 18-49 (356,000) and Women 25-54 (378,000).

Syfy jumped to #3 in A25-54 and #4 among A18-49 versus all basic cable entertainment networks – its second best monthly ranking ever in these demos behind December 2002 when Steven Spielberg’s record-setting Taken premiered.

The record October performance was fueled by strong ratings from Stargate Universe and Sanctuary – which both premiered this month – Ghost Hunters and Destination Truth, the two highest-rated paranormal investigative series on television, along with the annual 31 Days of Halloweenspook-a-thon......
lafluffy
Freelance freshie

Post by lafluffy »

This is the last time I'll post on this thread cause I know I"m such a downer. I'm a huge fan of both SG series and have had Universe broadcast in the background from lack of alternatives. I guess I just don't care enough to pay attention; this show is not my style. I'd much rather watch Three Rivers.

I also watched Sanctuary and...meh.

For my last post on this thread, what I really wanted to say was, GO CANUCKS! Nice to see Canadians make inroads. I think Canadian shows are good at storytelling (and I think the Brits are even better!).

I'm glad people are enjoying Universe. It's great when you find something you like.
lafluffy, Queen of the Damned Fluffies
........................Image
.......................Fabulous screencap by the ever fabulous lighterthanair.
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

I think SGU is starting to settle. The last episode (Light) was much better than the ones before it.
Up to now, it's been a bit formulaic, but it's getting there.

What it's not, is "another" Stargate. If they hadn't needed the gate to start the pilot, they could have made this a separate franchise because the tone and shooting is so different from that of SG-1 (awesome incarnate...) or SGA. (It doesn't even have the usual Stargate intro sequence :sigh: ) It looks sort of like a more updated Lost in Space to me - complete with their own Dr. Smith in Dr. Rush and Eli (David Blue) as Will Robinson.
lafluffy
Freelance freshie

Post by lafluffy »

eris wrote:I think SGU is starting to settle. The last episode (Light) was much better than the ones before it.
Up to now, it's been a bit formulaic, but it's getting there.

What it's not, is "another" Stargate. If they hadn't needed the gate to start the pilot, they could have made this a separate franchise because the tone and shooting is so different from that of SG-1 (awesome incarnate...) or SGA. (It doesn't even have the usual Stargate intro sequence :sigh: ) It looks sort of like a more updated Lost in Space to me - complete with their own Dr. Smith in Dr. Rush and Eli (David Blue) as Will Robinson.
Good point, eris! I think they used the SG brand to kickstart Universe, which seems more like a Lost ep to me than SG. Hey, next week they need more water. Meanwhile the head honchos are trashing the SGs, especially Atlantis, not to mention obliquely trashing the actors. Not good. What a shame. Yet they did want to use the fanbase to give Universe legs. Maybe it worked. Just not on me. As you said, Stargate it is not, except for the initial plot device. I also think that there is so little scifi stuff to choose from that people are starved for anything remotely fantastic.
lafluffy, Queen of the Damned Fluffies
........................Image
.......................Fabulous screencap by the ever fabulous lighterthanair.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Eli's new blog is up: Stay of Execution
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

:laugh: He's so cute!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

In tonight's ep, "Earth" I thought David was particularly good. (He's adorable...) And he certainly gets a lot of screen time!

I'm really liking this series.

Lucky
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

My heart broke for Eli when Chloe said "You're a good friend." I look forward to what Eli finds about the experiment.

Lou Diamond Phillips is certainly turning into a bad guy, isn't he?
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Anyone else still watching?

I absolutely loved this week's episode - the strains of isolation are starting to tell and I thought it was fantastic to give the characters some genuine (and credible) moral ambiguity.

Still lovin' Colonel Young
Spoiler:
even if he did abandon Rush to his fate on some godforsaken planet.
That man has a voice to die for. :happysigh:

See? From moral ambiguity to the shallow end of the pool in a mere heartbeat.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

I'm still watching! I think David is doing a great job.

I'm trying to figure out what Lou Diamond Phillips is up to.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Still watching, and I agree...David really is doing a bang-up job. I think even if I didn't have a sentimental connection to him from Logan Griffin, I'd still think he was the most sympathetic character on the show.

Lucky

Return to “David”