redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

A Year-Long Love Letter (PG-13) - complete 7/5

Post by redwinter101 »

Title: Afterglow - a year-long love letter
Author: redwinter101
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: I don't own Moonlight or any of its characters
Note: After the completion of Afterglow, Moonlighter requested that I post the love letters Mick wrote to Beth during their separation. There are about twenty in all that I wrote as the story went along; I am tidying them up and editing and will post them in this thread once they are done, along with a note about where they come in the story. I hope you enjoy them.

****************************************************************************************************

Letter index:

Day one
Day three
Day seven
Day 32
Day 33
Day 34
Day 47
Day 75
Day 99
Day 100
Day 114
Day 146
Day 150
Day 250
Day 255
Day 262
Day 263
Day 276
Day 277
Day 305
Day 310
Day 312
Day 313
Day 314
Day 344
Day 358
Day 364
Day 365

****************************************************************************************************

The first letter will be familiar as it was posted in full in chapter five. Mick hid it in Beth's purse for her to find after she had left.

Beth,

I have shown you everything that matters - who I am, how I feel and what you mean to me.

Every day we're apart I will wake knowing that you are my wife, my lover, my soul.

Be strong.

I love you.

M

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: A Year-Long Love Letter (PG-13)

Post by redwinter101 »

This takes place at the end of chapter 6.

Day one

Beth,

You're gone and I'm alone. You'd think after so many years on my own I'd be used to it, but this is different. I never felt the absence of someone until now. You and I are more than two people sharing a life - we're one and now I feel like a part of me has been torn away. I know this is the way it has to be and I know we'll find a way to be reunited, somehow, but right now, I just want you to turn round and come back. Come back to me, Beth, please come back to me soon.

The last few days have been so strange. So many wonderful things have happened, things I've only dreamt of - but I wonder why it took us so long, why we waited. I guess I always thought we had more time. Sitting here, in the near-dark of the office, I'm afraid to go through the door, to go into our home, because I can't imagine how it will feel without you. You've only been gone one day and already I'm so afraid. I've lived here for over twenty years and in so many ways this place is a part of me; but then it became a part of us. I know I'll still be able to smell you, to hear you in every room, to see you in every shadow. I wonder how long it will take me to get used to the silence again. I cherished it once. But now you're missing - your heartbeat, your breathing, you.

You'll be there by now, your new city. I hope it's okay - I should wish that you're happy there, but I can't. I'm sorry. I don't want you to be happy anywhere but with me. I know how selfish that is, but it's the truth. Josef has a plan, as always, that'll keep all of us (and he's got everyone involved) busy. I'm hoping that means we can fix this soon. God, I hope so. Then you can come home - and it will be our home again.

It's late and I should sleep. But you won't be in our bed. I can't kiss you goodnight and watch you drift off to sleep. You probably guessed that I watch you every night, waiting for the slowing of your heart and the calm, deep breathing that means you're safe and I can leave you. I'll miss that so much. I miss you.

Goodnight, my love. I'll write more tomorrow.

M

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

*happy sigh* :hearts:

I love the Day One letter. It said so much about Mick and his feelings and how he was going to cope with the separation.
I wonder how long it will take me to get used to the silence again. I cherished it once. But now you're missing - your heartbeat, your breathing, you.
:hankie:

In my mind, the letters are so important to this story and I'm really looking foward to reading more of the letters and finding out where you placed them in Afterglow.

It was a wonderful suggestion by Moonlighter. :rose:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

:hankie: :hankie:

Just getting my CASE of tissues ready. I KNOW i will need every one of them. Off to a good start Red. :clapping:
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
starbucksjunkie
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Home drinking my own Starbucks and watching my DVDs. There's a recession on!

Post by starbucksjunkie »

I, too, am so very glad you are posting these, red.

And Day One is surprising. He is already resigned to their being apart. No anger, and not as much grief as I would expect. Just a sad resignation, enumerating the physical ways he will feel her absence.

I so look forward to more.

"There is a degree to which . . . all literature, highbrow or low, from the Aeneid onward, is fan fiction . . . retelling and reimagining the stories that were told before us and that we have come of age loving--amateurs--we proceed, seeking out the blank places in the map that our favorite writers . . . have left for us . . ." -- Michael Chabon, Maps and Legends
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, Mick... :hankie: :Mickangel:
Red, if all of the letters are this beautiful and this poignant, you're going to have us all going into a decline... I just ache for him. And the year is over!! How Beth had the strength of mind to read every letter in one sitting is beyond me. I'd have been curled up in the fetal position, soaked with tears.

But then again, she's Beth. She doesn't do that. :heart:
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

This has GOT to be hard to do, Red... but wow... what you've done at this point! I am so choking up... I think the letters will make me cry...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

I loved that Day 1 letter! Especially the end, where he says I watch you every night till you fall asleep and I know it is safe to leave you. Gosh, I hope I can make it through all the ones as you post them!
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

That is quite a letter, so full of feeling and admission from Mick!! :hankie: I'm so glad you're posting the letters, it just feels so right! I love this Day 1 letter!!!! :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :bmoon: :eyes: :sigh: :angel: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :Mickangel: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :worship: :rose:

mitzie
seamus3333
Freelance freshie

Post by seamus3333 »

Having read everything you've posted (several times), I'm God blessing Moonlighter for conning you into writing more!
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

I want someone to write me letters like that.

Mr. Fleur will be wondering why I am glaring at him.............
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

The letters act as a journal of sorts. It helps Mick to sort out his own thoughts and say what he's always had so much trouble articulating to Beth. They are sad because they're filled with this desperation but they are beautifual testaments to his love.
You'll be there by now, your new city. I hope it's okay - I should wish that you're happy there, but I can't. I'm sorry. I don't want you to be happy anywhere but with me.
I doubt Mick would have been able to actually ever admit this out loud to Beth. It DOES sound very selfish but I think we would ALL feel that way. He has been the center of her life and her protector - besides missing HER, she also gave him something to do. LOL Without having to come to her rescue and watch over her, he's got a lot of extra time on his hands.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

GuardianAngel wrote:The letters act as a journal of sorts. It helps Mick to sort out his own thoughts and say what he's always had so much trouble articulating to Beth. They are sad because they're filled with this desperation but they are beautifual testaments to his love.
You'll be there by now, your new city. I hope it's okay - I should wish that you're happy there, but I can't. I'm sorry. I don't want you to be happy anywhere but with me.
I doubt Mick would have been able to actually ever admit this out loud to Beth. It DOES sound very selfish but I think we would ALL feel that way. He has been the center of her life and her protector - besides missing HER, she also gave him something to do. LOL Without having to come to her rescue and watch over her, he's got a lot of extra time on his hands.

Excellent point, GA! The glaring will cease.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:I want someone to write me letters like that.

Mr. Fleur will be wondering why I am glaring at him.............

Mr. Grace is a scientist. I cannot even get a note with real sentences in it... will never happen for me... :sigh:

But I sent you a cuddly pm... :giggle: :heart: :evillaugh:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

My husband works for the phone company, all I get is three word text messages :grumble:
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco

Return to “Afterglow”