The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant

darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant

Post by darkstarrising »

nutmegger911 wrote:Oh, DSR, you are so right. The true power in this movie is that it confronts you with the situation on such a visceral level. As heartwrenching as it is, it is a must watch (IMHO). *Hands DSR a hanky* You're gonna need it.
*dsr takes hankie* thanks. If part 2 is as draining as part 1, I'm gonna need it.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I was gone this weekend and so I missed the discussion of MB. I loved this movie so much, I'm thrilled to have a discussion thread for it. I've only watched it once--it made that much of an impression on me. The acting, writing, and direction were all phenomenal, and the cinematography just knocked my socks off. Alex was perfectly cast in the role of Will, and I loved everyone else. Even the kids were wonderful.

I got a huge lump in my throat and got a little teary while watching, but I didn't blubber--but don't get me wrong, I was incredibly moved. And Alex's expressions in his last scene simply amaze me. I loved Mick, but Mary Bryant cemented my admiration of Alex as an actor. :hearts:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I'd like to recommend a very readable and fascinating book about the first convict ship to Australia carrying only women prisoners. It's called "The Floating Brothel: The Extraordinary True Story of an 18th-Century Ship and Its Cargo of Female Convicts" by Sian Rees.

Unexpectedly, while she does not pull any punches about conditions and abuse, the author concluded that in some ways, shipboard life was no more brutal than life in prisons back in England.

This is not the same ship Mary Bryant was on, but the situation is similar, and the book is a fascinating read.

It's readily available on Amazon.

Lucky
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Thanks Lucky... it was in prison in England when Mary got preggers of course... favors to the jailor in exchange for actual food... not uncommon. As hard as conditions were for any prisoner, it was usually worse for women.... "convicts" were no longer seen as the weaker, to be protected, sex, but as daughters of Eve and evil.

And Alle, you didn't miss the discussion; this is still it. Dark hasn't even finished it yet... and GA and PGal are gonna watch soonish... so there'll be more to come! And I totally agree with you... this is the first thing besides Mick I saw of Alex... so I knew he wasn't just a one hit wonder right away. Our guy is an ACTOR.

And Dark... go ahead and finish it tomorrow... we'll be here with kleenex for ya. :smooch:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Excellent continuation of the discussion, ladies. :thumbs:

I've come to realise that I must indeed be a hard-hearted soul. Everyone else has cried so I should have too. :ysmile:

dsr, love your description of part 1. Can't wait to read your thoughts on part 2. :thumbs:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

Just a quick pop-in...

..for any of you interesed in knowing more about early life in the penal colony here, there is a marvellous novel written around 1874 titled "For the Term of His Natural Life" by Marcus Clarke detailing the transportation and living conditions of the convicts in the colony. Although it is a novel it is based on actual events and he doesn't pull any punches. It's gripping.
...pop out again, now
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

coco wrote:Excellent continuation of the discussion, ladies. :thumbs:

I've come to realise that I must indeed be a hard-hearted soul. Everyone else has cried so I should have too. :ysmile:

dsr, love your description of part 1. Can't wait to read your thoughts on part 2. :thumbs:
Coco, sweetie, if you are (and you're not), then I'm one as well. I didn't cry either (at least for part 1). My reaction was more one of profound horror.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

darkstarrising wrote:
coco wrote:Excellent continuation of the discussion, ladies. :thumbs:

Coco, sweetie, if you are (and you're not), then I'm one as well. I didn't cry either (at least for part 1). My reaction was more one of profound horror.
It's definitely a film that has that effect on you. I watched in amazement at the stories depicted and it was one of horror. To think that those kind of things went on.

I also wanted to say thanks to those that provided the facts from non-facts in the story - I wouldn't have been any the wiser. It was much appreciated to know what was added to the story. It definitely worked better to have Will's death scene be one of drama instead of dying on the boat. While equally as sad, not quite so dramatic.
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

coco wrote:
It's definitely a film that has that effect on you. I watched in amazement at the stories depicted and it was one of horror. To think that those kind of things went on.

I also wanted to say thanks to those that provided the facts from non-facts in the story - I wouldn't have been any the wiser. It was much appreciated to know what was added to the story. It definitely worked better to have Will's death scene be one of drama instead of dying on the boat. While equally as sad, not quite so dramatic.
The sadder thing is that they still do....and I, too, would like to thank those that separated fact from fiction and who provided references for additional works on this topic.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I remember reading somewhere that they used a replica of the HMS Bounty for the transportation ship. Some of the scenes onboard were just... amazing. I've gotta go watch that movie again...
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Me too, Alle...

Dark... did you ever finish honey?

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

wpgrace wrote:Me too, Alle...

Dark... did you ever finish honey?
Nope, but I will tonight. When I got home yesterday, there were a few minor traumas to deal with that didn't leave enough time to watch Part 2 properly.

I have to admit, from what I've seen so far, I've been profoundly affected by this film. OK, so I wanted to watch Alex performing a role that he was lauded for (appropriately), but I've gotten caught up in the actual story. Mary Bryant was indeed a strong woman who bore more hardship in a few years than any of us will ever know in our lifetimes. It just made me appreciate what women went through in the past just to survive.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Oh I so agree... Alex gives a great performance... but this is a remarkable story, with MANY great performances, and a wonderful production.

I really wish they would show it on American tv... good for Alex of course, but would it kill us to get a non-American centric historical movie? It IS such a powerful story... and it has themes that would appeal to Americans, even if the places and the events and the people are unfamiliar.

I once wrote the History Channel asking them to show it... all I got was a "thank you for contacting us..." Bummer. Cause Animal Planet and the Discovery Channel have certainly found nice audiences for shows featuring Australia.

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

grace, maybe we should try History International. Same people, a lot of the same shows, but they do tend to be a little less US-centric...

Lucky
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

wpgrace wrote:Oh I so agree... Alex gives a great performance... but this is a remarkable story, with MANY great performances, and a wonderful production.

I really wish they would show it on American tv... good for Alex of course, but would it kill us to get a non-American centric historical movie? It IS such a powerful story... and it has themes that would appeal to Americans, even if the places and the events and the people are unfamiliar.

I once wrote the History Channel asking them to show it... all I got was a "thank you for contacting us..." Bummer. Cause Animal Planet and the Discovery Channel have certainly found nice audiences for shows featuring Australia.
Agreed....all the actors give solid performances and the film is very well crafted.

As for showing it on American TV....I'd like to think we could broaden ourselves a bit. PBS has for years been the conduit of wonderful British productions, everything from the Britcoms to Masterpiece Theatre, long before cable or BBC America was ever around.

Maybe BBC America would be interested...

For what it's worth, you can get the DVD from Barnes and Noble for $7.99
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

Return to “Past Projects”