One Hundred Grand (or, Josef Probably Kills Every Day) PG

A place for NocturneInCMoll's G to PG-13 stories.
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

One Hundred Grand (or, Josef Probably Kills Every Day) PG

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Beta: The ever-awesome Barb (bank1115). She also supplied me with the name of a wine, since I’m not a connoisseur.
Author’s note: I have two things to say: (1) This story is exactly 1000 words, and (2) My first thoughts upon reading the “One Hundred Grand” part of the challenge were (1) Money, and (2) Josef. But then I figured everyone would be writing about money (and therefore possibly Josef), so I tried to think of another use for “one hundred grand”…

One Hundred Grand (or, Josef Probably Kills Every Day)

It was just after midnight when Mick St. John darkened the door to his best friend’s office.

“Ah, Mick!” Josef exclaimed with pleasure, “Just in time to join me in a little bubbly, my friend!” He waved him in and gestured to the empty armchair in front of his desk where he sat.

“Great,” Mick said as he strode across the room and settled into the chair. “What are we celebrating?”

“Well,” Josef said as he set two wine glasses in front of him on the desk and filled each halfway with '76 Penfolds Grand Hermitage, “if dead people were money, I think I finally made one hundred grand.”

Mick froze as he took the proffered glass. “I beg your pardon?”

“I think I just killed my 100,000th person.”

“Your one hundred thousandth person,” Mick repeated slowly, “…you think.”

“Yeah—well, I can’t be sure. I wasn’t officially keeping count, and my memory’s a little hazy, especially for the first hundred years or so—oh, and I blocked out the entire Victorian era, for obvious reasons. Oh, and I can’t remember most of the 60s and 70s—again, for obvious reasons.” He pursed his lips and tapped a finger lazily on some papers as he looked off to the side, seemingly lost in some sort of recollection. Then he shook himself out of it. “But anyway, according to my estimations, it should be about 100,000 now.”

Mick shook his head slowly. “You know, I once said to Beth that you probably killed every day, but I wasn’t thinking literally!”

“Well, no, of course not—but I’d hate to think you would be so stupid as to exaggerate to a reporter.”

Mick narrowed his eyes.

Josef ignored the look and frowned up at the ceiling in concentration. “Well, let’s do the math, shall we? Let’s see, I was born in 1599; it’s 2009 now—so I’m 410, but I didn’t start killing until I was turned…knock 26 years off of that…that’s 384 years of killing…divide 100,000 by 384, and…okay, so I killed an average of 260 people per 365-day year—that’s decidedly NOT every day!”

Mick threw his hands up in the air. “Great. Fine. I’m glad I was wrong about you, Josef,” he said in a flat tone.

“Well, what are you getting so snippy about? I would think you’d be happy to know I don’t kill a human every day!”

The younger vampire pressed his lips together.

“Oh, so you’re going to be like that now, huh? Give me the silent treatment because I kill a lot more mortals than you? —You know very well I treat humans with the utmost respect, almost as much as you—until, of course, they disrespect me. Minus the occasional ‘accident,’ I never kill humans senselessly—” he emphasized, then checked himself and muttered quickly, “—well, except twice on Sundays during a leap year…”

“—Um, excuse me?” Mick leaned forward with a perplexed little shake of his head.

The elder vampire shrugged and made a moue. “People were more superstitious back in the olden days, even vampires. —But naturally I made a point of killing anyone who tried to ward me off with garlic.”

“Oh, of course.”

They fell silent for several moments until Mick finally heaved a sigh. “—All right, Josef, who had the dubious honour of being the estimated number 100,000?”

Josef’s lips spread in a slow grin. “You sure you really want to know?” He wagged a finger at Mick, “You’re not going to like it!”

“Try me,” Mick said, folding his arms. “You’re right, I probably won’t, but I sense you’re just dying to tell me, so go ahead.”

“Well, if you insist—I’ll tell you,” Josef said evenly as he topped off his wine glass. He set the bottle back down gently and held his friend’s gaze as he sighed. “You see, a certain blond was snooping around just a little too much…”

Mick paled and went cold—or at least more than usual. “No…not…no, you wouldn’t…”

“Yup!” Josef chugged back the rest of his wine and set his glass down with a loud, satisfied smack of his lips. “—Ben Talbot is dead at last.”

“Wh—wait, what? Talbot?!” Mick exclaimed in relief, “But he—he’s a brunette!”

Josef shrugged. “Not anymore! I dyed his hair blond before I killed him, just so I could say ‘a certain blond’ and freak you out. Man alive! you should have seen the look on your face! Priceless!” he hooted, “—I hope Jerry caught that on camera.” He twisted in his seat and gave a big two thumbs-up to the security camera up in the corner of the ceiling. Then he turned back around to see his friend staring at him. “—What?”

“…You dyed a man’s hair before you murdered him, just to play a terrible practical joke on me?” Though Mick began slowly, his voice grew progressively louder.

The elder vampire tapped a finger thoughtfully on his lips. “You know, Talbot didn’t seem too impressed either, come to think of it. And here I thought blonds had more fun. Oh well,” he shrugged. “—More wine?” He held up the bottle.

“Huh. Imagine that,” Mick said lightly. “—And no, I’m good. Thanks.” He held his hand over the top of his glass.

Josef shrugged and poured some more wine for himself. “I tried to explain it to him, but you know how annoying it is when you have to tell people why your jokes are funny. Some people just have no taste,” he huffed and lifted the wine glass to his lips.

“Hmm!” Mick tilted his head in acknowledgement. Then he suddenly launched himself across the desk, grabbed his friend by the throat, and squeezed—hard.

“Mick—what—” Josef sputtered, flailing wildly and flinging his wine glass to the ground. “—Hey, my carpet! That’s gonna leave a stain! What’s the big idea?!”

“I’m going for a record too, Josef!!!” Mick grunted.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: One Hundred Grand (or, Josef Probably Kills Every Day) PG

Post by redwinter101 »

Oh this is marvellous, Julie. Such fun!!!

I especially loved this:
NocturneInCMoll wrote:I tried to explain it to him, but you know how annoying it is when you have to tell people why your jokes are funny.
Delightfully original.

Red :rose:

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Absollutely brilliant, Nocturne. :clapping:

Excellent take on the challenge. :thumbs:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

This is so creative!!!!! Very funny!
fairytoes
Rogue vampire

Post by fairytoes »

Brilliant story, and certainly not what I expected! thank you!! :flowers:
NocturneInCMoll wrote: I dyed his hair blond before I killed him, just so I could say ‘a certain blond’ and freak you out.
:rolling:
Wonderful Banner by Redwinter
Gorgeous Avi by Lilly
Thank you!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Wow...this is Josef the ruthless, that's for sure! Interesting approach to the challenge, Nocturne!

Lucky
Albra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Albra »

“I’m going for a record too, Josef!!!” Mick grunted.
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Great !

Thank you ! :rose:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

:coffee: :rolling: :cheer: :clapping:

Wow! I'm most impressed that Josef could do the math in his head. Then again, there were no calculators when he was younger. And he probably rehearsed that speech before Mick even came in. I bet he only killed Talbot and was looking for a snarky way to break the subject to poor old sensitive Mick.
I totally believe that he killed that many people, he was in some wars certainly where he killed more than one person a day. That might make up for his obvious restraint he has in the latter decades. It's been getting harder to hide the bodies...

Wonderfully creative take, nocturne!
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Julie,

this is tremendous!!! Very creative, original and just plain funny. Josef at his snarky finest, stringing Mick alone to get a reaction.
“Well, if you insist—I’ll tell you,” Josef said evenly as he topped off his wine glass. He set the bottle back down gently and held his friend’s gaze as he sighed. “You see, a certain blond was snooping around just a little too much…”

Mick paled and went cold—or at least more than usual. “No…not…no, you wouldn’t…”

“Yup!” Josef chugged back the rest of his wine and set his glass down with a loud, satisfied smack of his lips. “—Ben Talbot is dead at last.”
I can just see this. Josef enjoying pulling Mick's chain and Mick getting ready to kill!!

Very nicely done :rose:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Wow, so many replies already--

Red--Thanks! :rose: Yeah, Josef didn't quite pick up on why Talbot didn't "get" his joke (or rather, he probably did pick up on it, but it was funnier to him to feign ignorance). :laugh:

Coco--Thank you! Glad you enjoyed. :thumbs:

Carol, thank you! Glad I could amuse you. :wave:

Fairytoes--Thank you so much! Glad to know I'm not predictable. ;)

Lucky--Thanks! Josef the Ruthless, indeed! :snicker:
Albra--You're very welcome, and thank you! :flowers:

Francis--Thank you very much! :smooch: Josef deals with numbers a lot, and didn't always have a calculator, it's true. I'm sure he figured out a few tricks. I don't know if he pre-rehearsed the math part though, since he had no idea Mick thought he killed so frequently! Tee hee. I forgot about wars, though! They definitely contributed, I'm sure--so maybe Josef's not such a bad guy after all...;)

Karen--Wow, thank you! :hearts: Josef had a lot of fun. I don't think Mick will actually kill him, though--he's only choking him, after all, and that won't kill a vampire. I had a Homer and Bart Simpson kind of thing in mind. The fact that the much younger Mick got the jump on Josef and stained his carpet in the process will be punishment enough for now.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, good lord--I didn't know whether to :eek2: :gasp: :confused2: or :rolling: :yahoo: :clapping:

That is definitely an original take on the 100 Grand theme...and a fabulous conversation between Josef and Mick. But eeeeeeeek--poor Talbot! (He was really annoying, though...) :snicker:
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

One hundred thousand people..? :confused2:

YOu always have an original take on things NICmoll, that's fur shure. :rolling: :rolling:
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Haha, thanks, Allegrita. Glad you enjoyed! :hug: I think Mick was more upset over Josef making him briefly think that he'd killed Beth than he was over Talbot's death. I'm sure he felt a little bad for him though, since Josef had the bad taste to inform Talbot how his death would be used in a practical joke...

Tee hee, thanks, Luxe! As I said, I figured many people would be writing on money and Josef, so I wanted to do something different. Thinking about possible things that could number One Hundred Thousand, my first thought was the number of vampires in the world (since there's only a few hundred in LA), but then I vetoed that. Then, for some reason I can't remember now, Mick telling Beth "Josef probably kills every day" popped into my head. I crunched some numbers to see if it was feasible that he'd killed 100,000 people in his several centuries alive--especially if he did indeed kill every day. And it was possible. As Francis pointed out, Josef was probably in a few wars over the years, and had the opportunity to kill multiple people at once, so that would add to the count for sure. :confused2:
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Interesting take on the challenge. That'll be quite some excavation at La Brea.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Post by Catmoon »

That was fun! I think maybe Josef's been celebrating with something else besides the wine, like the same type of something that made him forget the 60's and 70s. :snicker: The Josef muses are definitely having fun with this one!
Click here for link to my HB series story index

"I do whatever the Josef-muse tells me to do."

Return to “NocturneInCMoll's Office”