The Chase - MickBeth / Girl in the Fireplace

Shadow
Courtesan

The Chase - MickBeth / Girl in the Fireplace

Post by Shadow »

I got intrigued by the many parallels between the MickBeth story arc of Moonlight and the Doctor Who episode “The Girl in the Fireplace” (not least of which is that they both star Sophia Myles!) and this video is the result.

to watch on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykyWJc4engg

In the Doctor Who episode, the Doctor meets a little French girl named Reinette, and then meets her again as an adult and falls in love with her. But they are even more out of sync in time than Mick and Beth are, and Reinette’s entire life passes by while the Doctor lives through a single day.
Last edited by Shadow on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
coco
Cleaner

Re: The Chase - MickBeth / Girl in the Fireplace

Post by coco »

How wonderful, Shadow. :clapping:

I'm a big fan of Girl in the Fireplace so this alongside ML was just lovely. I had no ideas of the many parallels until I watched this video. :thumbs:

Excellent job, as always. :biggrin:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

Thank you coco!

I hadn't realized how many parallels there were either, until I watched "The Girl in the Fireplace" again post-Moonlight.
I always loved that episode, and Sophia really stood out. Her name in ML's credits was one of the main reasons I started watching ML.
(Of course I found lots of other reasons really fast .... :biggrin: )
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

I posted this on VLF, but I wanted to compliment you here as well :rose:

Wow!! I've always been in awe of the videos you put together, but this one is fantastic!! I saw 'The Girl in the Fireplace' after I'd started watching ML and had the same reaction to the parallels....your work her overlapping the two stories is just so beautifully done.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

Thank you so much, darkstarrising!
It's so lovely for you to come over here and leave a comment as well - it's quite an honor!
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Wow!! I love how you wove both of the scenarios so seamlessly together. I love this video, it is exquisite!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hankie: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :heart: :rose: :flowers:

mitzie :mooncat:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Shadow, this is really compelling, and beautifully done. I love the way you juxtapose shots of Sophia as Beth and as Reinette. The intercutting is really cool, and the story parallels are just... amazing. Gorgeous video!
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

mitzie wrote:Wow!! I love how you wove both of the scenarios so seamlessly together. I love this video, it is exquisite!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hankie: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :heart: :rose: :flowers:

mitzie :mooncat:
Thanks ever so much mitzie! :hearts:
This was my first try at mixing different stories - it's so great to hear that it worked for you.
Last edited by Shadow on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

allegrita wrote:Shadow, this is really compelling, and beautifully done. I love the way you juxtapose shots of Sophia as Beth and as Reinette. The intercutting is really cool, and the story parallels are just... amazing. Gorgeous video!

Thank you so much, allegrita. :rose:
I hadn't actually ever intended to do a crossover video, but those story parallels were just too intriguing . . . especially with Sophia in both parts.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I didn't see The Girl In The Fireplace until years after Moonlight was off the air. The parallels are extraordinary. Both characters had their world of "normal" messed up. Beth learning about vampires and Reinette learning about Doctor Who.

Just great. :cheer:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This is truly lovely. She is such an artist.

Fabulous video.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Thanks for bumping this video up to Active Topics. I hadn't watched it in a long time, and it's such a pleasure to revisit it, especially since then I've caught up with all of the current Dr. Who episodes on Netflix. I miss David Tennant's Doctor... :sigh: and I still think Sophia would be a wonderful Companion.

But this video is so watchable, and easy to "get", even if all you've ever seen of Dr. Who is this one episode. It's beautiful, Shadow. :hearts:
VampFan5
Rogue vampire

Post by VampFan5 »

That was amazing. I don't know how I missed it the first time. I taped that episode when it came on and watched it over and over and even put Madame Pompadour in one of my stories as Beth's ancestor. Very nice video. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Travis and the Tar Pit Tails.....a story by VampFan5
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

I'm glad to see this bubble to the top. This still leaves me with a chill, for what was and could have been. It just struck me that Beth's fear of 'you may have forever, but I don't' rings true for the Doctor and Rennette as well; death came between them. Fabulous video, Shadow :rose:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

Thanks so much everyone for watching (or re-watching!) :hearts:

I watched The Girl in the Fireplace many times when it first aired. Such a fantastic story . . . and I think it was one of David Tennant's best performances. Plus it made me an instant Sophia fan! I remember how excited I was when I saw her name pop up in Moonlight's credits when I watched the first episode. She would indeed have made a good Companion . . .

Return to “Shadow's Fan Vids”