Follow That Freshie - A Thanksgiving Mystery Ch. 2 (G)

MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Follow That Freshie - A Thanksgiving Mystery Ch. 2 (G)

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Lorig and I cooked up a fluffy little mystery for you for Thanksgiving. (She wore padding this time so as not to be bruised by bouncing ideas flying her way.) We hope you enjoy it!

Disclaimer: I do not own Moonlight or any of its characters.
Characters: Mick, Beth, Josef and an OC.
Rated G

Thank you Barnabas for the perfect story banner!

Follow That Freshie – A Thanksgiving Mystery

Chapter 2

Mick sat in his parked car within eyesight of Josef’s driveway. Kylie backed out in one of the rentals Josef kept on hand for his freshies to use. The ‘Freshie Fleet’ Josef called them, Mick laughed to himself. Mick started his car and began to follow at a discreet distance. He drove for quite some time until Kylie finally pulled in behind a building and parked her car. Mick glanced at the mission sign in front of the building. A homeless shelter? Mick watched as Kylie got out of her car carrying a large bag of apples and a bag of potatoes and walked into the mission. She’s feeding the homeless with Josef’s groceries? Mick didn’t quite know what to think except: We’ve got the “where”.

Four hours later Kylie left the mission and headed to her car.

“Hello, Judy.”

Kylie froze in her tracks. She slowly turned around to see who had spoken. She looked at Mick with puzzlement for a minute and then recognition. “You’re Josef’s friend, aren’t you?”

“Yes, Mick St. John. I’m a private investigator.”

“Did he hire you to follow me?”

Mick nodded. “He was concerned about your disappearances.” He saw the resignation cross Kylie’s face.

“Are you going tell him?”

Mick sighed and glanced around before meeting her eyes again. “Let’s take a walk, and you can tell me your story.”

They headed down the block. Mick, hands in his coat pockets, started the conversation. “Let’s start at the beginning. Why the name change? You are Judy Warden, correct? Grew up on a farm in northern California?”

She stared at him wide-eyed. “I guess you really are an investigator.” She sighed. “Yes, that’s me. My father died when I was 14. Mom and I tried to keep the farm going, but we couldn’t and had to sell it. We moved to town and bought a small house. We did okay for a few years, but then last year mom lost her job and we couldn’t make the mortgage payments.” Her voice began to crack. “We ended up in a homeless shelter. I was so embarrassed. We tried to get back on our feet again, we really tried, but it seemed everything went against us. The stress affected mom’s health and it was mortifying for me to go to school. So I dropped out.”

They walked in silence for awhile as Mick waited for Kylie to continue. “I decided I would go to LA and become an actress. I wanted to ‘make good’ and send mom money so she could get a little apartment for herself. So I took the savings we had left and bought a bus ticket here. I changed my name and left Judy and the old life behind.”

“And then?” Mick coaxed.

Kylie laughed. “I didn’t make it as an actress.”

Mick laughed along with her. “No, I guess not. Though I dare say you made out pretty well anyway.”

Kylie nodded earnestly. “I did! I met a girl at a casting call and we became fast friends. She worked at The Moonlight Club when she needed extra money, and convinced me to give it a try. I was scared at first, but the money was too good to pass up. I hadn’t been there very long when I met Josef. I guess you know the rest.” She seemed to relax, having shared her burden. “Now I make more money than I ever dreamed possible. I send almost all of it home to mom. She has a comfortable apartment now, and I hope to buy her a little house soon.”

She glanced sideways at Mick. “You know, I thought I did a good job of covering my tracks. I didn’t have any trouble with my background check at The Moonlight.”

Mick chuckled. “When you’ve been a PI as long as I have, you learn all the tricks.” They walked on in a comfortable silence. “So why the homeless shelter?” Mick prodded, though he had a good idea why.

“It’s my way of giving back. Even though I was embarrassed to be there, I knew I was lucky to have a roof over my head and something to eat. There were a couple other teens there, and it helped to have someone to talk to who was in the same boat. I vowed if I were ever in a position to help others in the same situation, I would.” She looked at Mick and shrugged her shoulders. “So here I am. I come every week and serve dinner. And I talk to any teens that happen to be here.”

They had ended up back at Kylie’s car. There was one more thing Mick needed to know. “Why steal food from Josef?”

Kylie blushed. “I didn’t think anyone would notice. The other girls are so worried about their weight they eat like birds. The only thing they don’t skimp on is the juice, for obvious reasons. The food was spoiling and getting thrown out. So I, well, I take it so it won’t go to waste.” She looked nervously up at Mick. “Are you going to tell Josef?”

Mick smiled down at her. “I won’t for the time being - under one condition.” Kylie looked at him expectantly. “That you let me go with you and help serve.” Kylie threw her arms around him in a grateful hug.

Mick mentally checked off the rest of his list: What, why and how.

To be continued...
Last edited by MickLifeCrisis on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Follow That Freshie - A Thanksgiving Mystery Ch. 2 (G)

Post by redwinter101 »

Aw, that's so sweet, MLC! But I figure this is not the end of the mystery so it's not as straightforward as it appears... :chin:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by AussieJo »

Hmmm.... yes. ITA.
There's more than meets the eye here! :chin:
More please miss!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Awww that's so sweet. It's so nice she wants to give back. I look forward to more.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Thanks Red, AussieJo and Cassy! :rose: Just remember, Josef doesn't know yet, and Beth doesn't know yet... :whistle:
MickLifeCrisis
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Ooh, Kylie's (I mean, Judy's) story is so poignant! I'm glad she's able to help her mom, and help other young people who get stuck in homeless shelters. No wonder Mick's willing to help her. But hmm... what will happen when Beth and Josef find out...?

I can't wait till the next chapter!
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

What a wonderful thing for Kylie to be doing!!!! :hearts: Can't wait to see what happens from here... :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :hyper2: :cheer: :cheer: :eat: :devil: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hearts: :flowers:

mitzie :mooncat:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

This is a great story. So my guess with the homeless shelter was right.
She's saving food from getting spoilt. Of course the other freshies would see it as stealing and wouldn't even think about food going bad or the waste it is to buy groceries and then not eat.
But what else is there? Mick is nothing if not thorough. Still a few questions to go.
draco
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by draco »

What a tragic but yet happy ending story behind Judy/Kylie. It's a great move of Mick not to tell Josef at once and help her care for the ones who need it the most.
Lets see how this turns out when Josef hears about everything.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Thank you everyone for reading and especially for commenting! :flowers: Hmm... now we have Kylie AND Mick disappearing... :chin:

A new chapter goes up tonight! :reading:
MickLifeCrisis
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

She sounds almost too good to be true. If she's for real she could probably get Josef to donate a weekly banquet to the shelter - he seems that hooked.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This is just delightful!

I can see easily how Mick would hit it off with Kylie. They both want to have a positive influence on the world around them.

Honestly, I think that Josef would approve. Well, I hope Josef would approve.

Thanks!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

Mick would be a great volunteer - after all, he does have "a soft spot for the mortal ones." :snicker: Does he have an ulterior motive though?
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

I just love Kylie! She is so responsible and good. She wants to give back and repay kindnesses she has received. Not traits that are big in L.A., but Mick appreciates them. Besides, it will put him in a better position to validate the rest of her story.

Thank you!
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

How nice of Kylie to volunteer at the homeless shelter. :hearts: She knows what the people there are going through. And not only is she giving back to the community, she is also making use of food that would otherwise be thrown out.

What will happen now that Kylie and Mick are both volunteering? :chin:

Thank you, MLC! :rose:

:thanksgiving:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!

Return to “Follow That Freshie - A Thanksgiving Mystery”