St Nicholas Day --a Josef story (PG-13)

A place for Librarian_7's G to PG-13 stories
one.zebra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: St Nicholas Day --a Josef story (PG-13)

Post by one.zebra »

Uh.../is speechless/ so,... what she said....

(loved the addition of 'moron'../snicker/)

MoonShadow wrote:Lucky,

Your writing is as complex and multi layered as Josef. I'm having difficulty finding the words to express my thoughts right now, forgive me. You never cease to amaze me with the beauty and skill with which you write.

It feels trivial in comparison to your gift, but you have my thanks, what a lovely gift.

MoonShadow
Banner and avatar by Twilightdew!

Travelling 33rpm in an iPod world
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

As always, my thanks for the many gracious comments. I do treasure them.

I think, as some have said, that this is an ingrained ritual of honoring his past. Barbaric, by our standards, and yet beautiful. He does not look forward to this--he dreads it. Still, it is one of those ways in which he keeps contact with his mortal past.

Lucky
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

It may be barbaric but it is beautiful in a way! I think the pain itself makes him feel more alive. He dreads it, but yet again it is in honor of his past human life. Wonderfully written and very passionate, I love it!!!! :hearts: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :swords: :juggle: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :heart: :flowers: :rainbow: :rose:

mitzie :mooncat:
moonlight_vixen
Courtesan

Post by moonlight_vixen »

I loved the complexity we see in Josef through this story. It was beautifully done, Lucky! :notworthy:
Banner And Avatar By Me
______________________________________________________________________________________
Proud Josef Exclusive+
Proud Co-Founder Of Maroon-A-Holics
THINK KOSTAN!
NightAir
Fledgling

Post by NightAir »

Josef is more layered than he lets on to most. As much as he relishes being a vampire he still honors (clings to?) his human past. Even as the silver eats into his flesh he refuses to give up the ritual, the discipline his father bestowed on him.

An ancient gift and the gifts of friendship and devotion in the present, juxtaposed.

Loved seeing Danger again. It's telling that Mick will only call her Danni, but that Josef could only see her as a 'chalice' at that moment. Lucky was the one he wanted. He even forgot Mick was there for a bit! lol
Albra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Albra »

Different ... but beautiful ...

Thank you
:rose:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Lucky

This is a wonderful glimpse into the fascinating secret society of the freshies in general and Josef's freshies in particular, as well as a look into the complex past of Josef.

I don't understand at all the need to hurt himself with the silver sword, especially when a thin coating of clear polymer on the hilt could retard tarnishing and protect his skin. Maybe a guy thing.

Speaking of guy things, Mick has his back in this occasion, too.

Nicely done!!

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This is so well done, multilayered and I will never understand Josef's need to hurt himself this badly.

Oh, I totally get the significance of the gift, the necessity of discipline and hard practice but there is much more going on here.

Sometimes, people do strange things that seem incomprehensible and totally lacking in logic. Josef is nothing if not rational to a fault but here, that part of him doesn't seem to be working too well.

But Mick is here, and he has his back. His freshies are here to provide what he needs to put himself back together for another year.

Nicely done!

Thank you.

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

How beautiful! No matter how rich or powerful Josef becomes, he still pays tribute to his past.

If he is still feeling a bit weak after he finishes with Lucky, I volunteer to help nurse him back to health. :angel:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Thanks, Marigold! Glad to see you're finding stories to explore.

Lucky
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I'm so glad this story was bumped up to the top. I've always loved it. Josef's annual ritual with the sword really speaks to me... maybe because it represents a kind of discipline and sacrifice that most modern people simply don't experience.

And I absolutely love the theme of devotion that runs through it. Josef's devotion to tradition and family honor, the freshies' devotion to his comfort and well-being, Mick's unyielding friendship and support, even in a situation that seems difficult to understand.

It's a pleasure to visit this story again.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Thanks, Alle. Josef seems so contemporary, so "hip," that it would be easy to forget he comes from a far different time and culture. Even though we don't know for sure about his background, I like to try and think about what might hold over from those centuries past for him.

Lucky
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

On the eve of St. Nicholas' Day, I thought I'd give this one a bump.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

It's been a while since I read this one, and it is as powerful today as it was the first time I read it. And even more precious, as I know we won't get any more stories from Lucky. :heart:

Despite the sadness that hits me every time I read one of her amazing stories, I still get so much joy from rereading them. She was a master storyteller, and this is one of her gems. It brings a bit of pain to the frivolity of modern Christmastide, but then again, Christmas traditions are often rooted in a darker, more violent past. It's not a bad thing to think about those roots of our holiday rituals. They mean a lot more than shopping and tinsel. :chin:

I still love the thread of love and devotion that runs through this story. Mick, Louise, Lucky, and Danger all love and accept Josef's traditions, although none of them can truly understand why they are so important to him. But, to them, all that matters is that those traditions ARE important. And they love him and nurture him through it all. :ghug:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I want to bump this brilliant story. I guess I'm in a thoughtful mood this year! This story always hits me, with its themes of duty, ritual, love, and support. You don't have to "get" something in order to support your friends through it. (And as Mick said, some things are a lot to get!)

Missing my dear friend. But so glad I can visit her through her beautiful fic. :heart:

Return to “Librarian_7's Office”