Stealing Home (M/B, PG)

A place for redwinter101's G to PG-13 stories
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Stealing Home (M/B, PG)

Post by redwinter101 »

:smooch: :smooch: for Grace (very French, one on each cheek).

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love the bits you picked out (especially that he SO doesn't care what she wears) and that all of this was Mick's perfect day. The best day. Ever.

Even though he is leaving the FoS!!! Man I never thought I'd write those words.

Red :heart:

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
seamus3333
Freelance freshie

Post by seamus3333 »

"as Grace would say, he does whisper to you" and now I understand. The Mick in your stories, with all his strengths, passions and fears, is not a figment of a your imagination, he's true and real. You and he have been consorting with each other; long conversations that reveal to you the soul of this man. There isn't a false note in anything you write about this heroic being. I am consumed with jealousy...say 'hello' for me the next time you speak to him.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:Even though he is leaving the FoS!!! Man I never thought I'd write those words.

Red :heart:
Yeah, well, you managed to pry him outta there without killing him... :phew: And :smooch: :smooch: back.

seamus3333 wrote:I am consumed with jealousy...say 'hello' for me the next time you speak to him.
:giggle: At least she shares him with us when he chats with her, dear seamus... You gotta admit she's a generous Whisperer...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
seamus3333
Freelance freshie

Post by seamus3333 »

Grace, Share, my uh foot. I think she's just rubbing it in with every story. I'm gonna check her closets. I'll find him.
Albra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Albra »

Red, :heart:
your story makes ending of my crazy week truly splendid ...
Thank you
:rose:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

seamus, consorting with Mick? Oh, what a lovely thought. :cloud9: :cloud9:

And you and Grace ( :wave: Grace) are too adorable for words. :hearts:

Albra, that's just marvellous! I'm sorry your week's been crazy, but delighted you enjoyed the story.

Red

kpyle
Freelance freshie

Post by kpyle »

Oh my gosh Red, what everybody else said!!!!!!!! That was beautiful and heartwarming! Of course there were tears, Mick has come a long way! I loved the original story, and was sad to see it end, but what a lovely ending it was! And now you go and add this little bit of heaven! You know what that means, right? Now we are going to want more little snippets into their ever changing life! :laugh:

I just love the scenes with Andi and Mick! She is one lucky little girl to have Mick as her father! (hint, hint, it would be fun to read some of those stories as she grows!) And just for the record, if Mick let himself into my house, I would have the same reaction as Andi, only my arms would most definately fit!!!

I have re-read it three times now, and I know I am not done! Thank you Red!!! :hug:

Kelly
Thank you Pinkie for my Amazing Banner!
draco
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by draco »

A beautiful story and a great continuation of "Homecoming". I love both stories very much.
Mick finally seems to have come to peace with himself and thanks to a little kick in the butt (again) he finally moved to start over for good. Nice try of Beth to keep him waiting with her opinion of the house. It truly sounds lika an amazing place to live.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

*happy sigh* Re-reads already! Thanks, Kelly. :smooch:

draco, thank you - I'm glad you enjoyed it. :hearts:

Red

sabazzz
Kostan Industries intern

Post by sabazzz »

Awwww Red, you just made me so happy with continuing Homecoming! And what a sequel it is…..

Mick coming to his apartment, which is now finally home because of Beth…and then him avoiding the realtor and finding a new house…And then him realizing that it was time to move on…I just simple love it.

I love that Mick took Marta and Andi first to get their approval…it was so sweet, it was just him and his family, so normal. It's what Mick has always wanted and he finally gets it all in a package! And Marta is so amazing..she really is a part of the family, she is the grandmother to Andi, mother to Beth…I love how she is speechless when Mick tells her about her new home…just so adorable.

And then the scene at the beach: Mick trying to apply sunscreen, calming her down when she's crying, holding her sleeping in the shade…he is a father, he has what he always wanted, he has a daughter..that scene was just so beautiful.

And finally, taking Beth to see the house was just perfect...

Red, you outdid yourself once again..this was wonderful and I am truly happy that you decided to continue Homecoming with this piece….It was lovely.
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

WOW. Red, this is magnificent. :rose: I've read it through twice now, each time so very touched by it. The story of seeking a new home together, stepping away from the past and what you know so well to look to the future - the feeling of hope. Wonderful story. Truly. :flowers:

I love this line in your opeining paragraph:
The short walk to the door was enough to shed the remnants of his night's work, case forgotten, a step away from dark to light, the early morning sun streaming across the room as he moved in, heading for the blonde in the kitchen.
I can see Beth doing this. Not making things obvious but really needing to know Mick is safe.:
The curve of his smile against her skin drew her own, "Mmmmm, morning." Beth leant into him, drawing his arms around her, hiding her everyday, secret moment of inspection, "How was your night?" No blood, no pain, he was safe and whole.
This line was just sexy 'cos I can hear Mick say it. :snicker:
He beat her to the doorway, hand outstretched to block, to pull her back to him. "Be late."
And then we see that things are not quite as straightforward as they first seem. They have issues and Mick is being hesitant and Beth is growing more disappointed. Things are never simple with our dear Mick.

I loved this from Beth. She has so much more in her life to think about now.:
"If you don't want to leave here, to start again somewhere new," her half-stifled sigh, "we'll work something out. I have no idea how we're going to do that, but we will. I just," biting her lip, eyes downcast, "I just want more. I want all of it, Mick." She stepped away, pressing the button for the parking garage.
I connected with this line so much as I've been there. Holding on to things because they are comfortable and familiar and being a little scared to move past them on to the new.
He clenched his fists in frustration, futility, a swell of regret as he stepped back to the loft, closing the door softly. He remembered the pull of this place; no matter how long he had been away he'd never really left. It was a place of memory not a place to make a future. Eight months ago he would have walked through fire to be with her again but now he hesitated over bricks and mortar. The part of himself that resided in the fabric of this space was his past.
Such a wonderful image to see of Mick. Andi connects with him completely. :hearts:
"Mick!" Andi's usual squeal of greeting as he let himself in, a lunge, a death grip around his neck, a squirm as she tried to reach tiny arms around his body.

"Well hey there, little one. You all ready to have some fun today?" A nod, a smile as she rested against him. The feel of her in his arms, regular, everyday, magnificent.
Knowing they are having issues at the moment, I adore the way you highlight their closeness with one another despite this. There is that deep connection between them that holds strong.
"I'm sorry." He pulled her near, "Trust me." Eyes closed, cheek to cheek, willing her to believe.

"Always."
The scenes with Marta and Andi touched me the most and I confess I did cry at a few sections here. I've had a particularly hard couple of days with a very emotional grandfather who has lost his sense of place and connection with people so the scene with Marta and Mick just blew me away. :flowers: :flowers: I could quote the entire thing but I won't or this comment will never end. :snicker:

This bit I MUST quote as it is the part of the story that got me the most:
"It is indeed. You've just got the wrong woman." He was smiling now, unable to hide any longer. Marta turned, slow to understand, unwilling to hope.

"I don't…"

"This cottage is going to be your home, Marta." For the briefest moment, a chink opened, the tiniest crack in her veneer of lovable eccentricity and Mick saw the fear beneath. Fear of age, loneliness, uselessness. "If you like it of course-" The rest of his words were smothered in a cloud of crepe and Polish as Marta sought solace in her native tongue, hugging him as her words tumbled around them. "This is going to be our home. Our home for our family. Our whole family. And as a very smart woman once told me, family's about more than DNA. So, say you'll come. Make our family complete."
I absolutely adore that Marta is as much a part of his life as Andi and Beth are. She is integral to their happiness and to know she won't be excluded and left behind is just so satisfying to me. :ysmile:

Then we get to see Mick being with his daughter in the simplest of ways and enjoying something he never thought he'd experience. He is content and joyful and determined to get this right. The image of Mick smearing sunblock just made me :biggrin: . It is such a normal, everyday thing and it is wonderful to witness. (I'm behind the tree, watching, as always. :giggle: )

The MickBeth banter is ever present:
Her answer was in her glow, the light in her eyes, the quickening of her pulse. "I'm trying very hard to be just a little annoyed that you did all this without me."

"Mmm, how's that working out?"

Her laugh reached into him, warming, comforting, "Not so well. It's perfect."
And what a truly hopeful and joyful ending. They have the rest of their lives to figure the future out. I LOVE it. :twothumbs:

Truly one of your best, Red. This will be re-read and often. :hearts:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

sabazzz, I'm so happy you liked it. :D

coco, big :hug: :hug: and :comfort: :comfort: to you, my dear, for your tough times. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather and touched that the Mick/Marta scene resonated so strongly with you. Your whole comment is just lovely (you picked out all the things I was hoping to convey, the reasons why I love Mick so very much) - and I really am very grateful indeed. :smooch:

Red

starbucksjunkie
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Home drinking my own Starbucks and watching my DVDs. There's a recession on!

Post by starbucksjunkie »

Oh red,

Christmas came early. Thank you. :smooch:
Mick opened his mouth to speak, to make his excuses of half-truth and evasion. "Beth, I…" but she was already through the door. "Beth," tracking her along the hallway. He caught her at the elevator, a superstitious prickle warning him not to let these be their last words this morning. "Wait, please. Let me explain." Mick winced at the ugly smudge of disappointment etched in her profile as she turned.
The wonderful red-ly turns of phrase are what I love so much.
"If you don't want to leave here, to start again somewhere new," her half-stifled sigh, "we'll work something out. I have no idea how we're going to do that, but we will. I just," biting her lip, eyes downcast, "I just want more. I want all of it, Mick." She stepped away, pressing the button for the parking garage.

"I love you."

"I know," as the doors slid shut.
As always, which you capture so beautifully, Mick's greatest struggle is with himself.
He paced a tetchy circuit, not touching, absorbing the sense, the feel of his home. A lifelong search for connection, as child, man, brother, son, friend, husband, vampire, lover, somehow had invested this place with a power, a hold over him.
So true. So pithy. So red.
"And tomorrow will be even better."
Sigh. How wonderful. :heart:

"There is a degree to which . . . all literature, highbrow or low, from the Aeneid onward, is fan fiction . . . retelling and reimagining the stories that were told before us and that we have come of age loving--amateurs--we proceed, seeking out the blank places in the map that our favorite writers . . . have left for us . . ." -- Michael Chabon, Maps and Legends
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

You flatter me, girlfriend. Red-ly indeed...

Red :rose: :rose:

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

:giggle:

Btw... I meant to note how I love the title to this one. The title is so perfect... as yours always are.

Tho it's a baseball reference and I don't know if you meant the same thing by it that I'm seeing in it... cause it makes me think about how he got around the bases. He kinda made it to first with his rescue of Beth in the old days, and yeah, you gotta make your own hit to get to first. We saw him get to second on the show in large part because Beth pushed the dating thing, she hit him to second. In your AU universe, he didn't get to third until Homecoming, and again, cause Beth made another hit for him. But stealing home? That is a feat that is difficult to achieve and a high risk move that, of course, will make you either the hero or the goat... and one must do it for oneself.

And he did. :happysigh:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)

Return to “redwinter101's Office”