1. Vigil (midnight) - PG

jmc
Rogue vampire

Re: Vigil (midnight) - PG

Post by jmc »

redwinter101 wrote:
Moving aside tubes and drips, he lifted her, feather-light in his arms and crossed to the window, settling them into the armchair as the moonlight rippled over the water. The gentle ebb and flow matched his soft strokes, cool and soothing against her skin.

It was there, rocking gently, his lips pressed to her brow, that the nurse found them, the monotone alarms finally silenced, no heartbeat, no pulse, no sound, no fanfare, just the distant wash of the retreating tide.

She had made him and now she was gone. Who would he be without that connection, a blood bond, sealed in love, passion, destruction, redemption?
I could have quoted the entire story but this is the image that stays with me. This is what we coulda, shoulda had from season two and beyond but I doubt they would have been able to do within the constraints of what Silver or CBS wanted. Stories like this are why Moonlight still lives and why I'm convinced our writers are better than theirs.

:reading: Thank you so much!

. . . Love is strong as death . . . - Song of Solomon 8: 6
"fiercely faithful"

My beautiful MickBeth avatar by Twilightdew. My beautiful banner courtesy of the very talented Phoenix.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

jen, I agree with you about Coraline being the antagonist. It was definitely her major role and the lack of any development beyond episode 11 disposed of a hugely valuable dramatic asset - as well as leaving Mick acting totally out of character. I just had to try to fix that somehow. :snicker: And I now have the dubious honour of having killed off each of the four main characters in one story or another. Not sure what that says about me...

jmc, bless you, sweetie. Moonlight certainly does live on and I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
JJRose
Kostan Industries intern

Post by JJRose »

Oh. Oh my. I am coming late but gratefully to these. I could never have imagined this ending for the two of them - now that I've read it, I can't imagine any other end. It's just too beautiful for words.

"Her repose was strange and unsettling, the reimposition of mortality altering the light within, even as it guttered and failed."

I cannot get this sentence out of my head. Just a stunning, stunning image.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

JJRose, :wave: not late at all, honey - the series is still in progress and I'm delighted you're catching up. And also I'm delighted that you found this beautiful (there is nothing more wonderful to hear). Thank you so much.

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Red

Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Yep. You've done it again, Red. Wrote a fic where I, Moonlighter, actually feel pity for Coraline. Pity, I tells ya! Her fear of abandonment trumping her fear of death just got me. Sheesh!

Because I believe Mick would never totally leave Coraline in the hands of her crazy-ass family, I can totally buy this happening. It's just a shame he was too late and didn't realize what they'd done to her. And his ability to let the past go and actually offer her a choice of being turned or not is an indication of a grown-up Mick, and I really like it.

I'm working my way through the Divine Office, and just like the title suggests, these have been simply divine!

Thanks Red, and please keep them coming!
:heart:
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2:

My work is done. :devil:

Thanks, Moonlighter. I like grown-up Mick, too. :hearts: :hearts:

Red

jen
Cleaner

Re: 1. Vigil (midnight) - PG

Post by jen »

One of the ways you can tell that the story you are reading is extraordinary is that you see new depths in it every time you revisit it.

There are some things about the final four episodes that I love, but Coraline's absence is not one of them. Her role in the story was too pivotal, and made Mick the man that he is. Here, we see him being the vampire she made him, as well.

This was pain and redemption, loss and rebirth, and ultimately healing.

Thank you, Red

Jenna

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks so much, jen. ITA on Coraline's absence in the final four - she added so many layers to everyone else's stories and I really felt that loss.

Red

diane31
Fledgling

Post by diane31 »

WOW! This is simply amazing Red! I never would have thought I could cry for Coraline, but, this does it! What an incredibly powerful, ironic end to such an incredibly powerful, ironic relationship. It feels like Coraline didn't deserve to die like this, it is such a tragic death for her, which in turn, ironically, is fitting, as she is such a tragic character... And of course you write so incredibly well :thud: , as always.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:curtesy:

Many thanks, Diane - that's a super comment. I really wanted to give Coraline a fitting send-off, since the show singularly failed to do so.

Red

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

For some reason, on previous reads I never caught that Mick crushed a cigarette under his feet.

That is so symbolic on many levels.

Thanks

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, jen. I love that final image - the extinguishing of the light - there's a finality to it that fits the story, I think. Plus it's a wonderful visual (for me, anyway).

Red

maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Oh, red, this story is incredible, unbelievably sensitive, it is poetic and descriptive at the same time...I don't know, I really cannot describe and would have never thought of feeling for Coraline just so much...when things are inevitable, when you are given no choise, it feels as if even the sky is a burdeon, doesn't it. Such a heavy moment on both of them, on all of us...Yet, there are so many details, meaningful ones in that story..l have to read it some more...Thank you red, the way you write is so impecable, I always have the feeling that I am going to be awestruck even before reading... :heart:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:blushing: and :curtsey:

Thank YOU, maggatha - that's so lovely.

Red

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

:flowers:

Exquisite. Just exquisite.

Sometimes, the less said the better so I will just bump this up, get out of the way and let the quality of this piece speak for itself. It so so far better than I could.

Thank you!

Return to “The Divine Office”