Why - a One shot - PG 1/2/10

A place for diane31's G tp PG-13 stories
diane31
Fledgling

Why - a One shot - PG 1/2/10

Post by diane31 »

Hi everyone! :wave:
Well, this is my first fanfic, and I can honestly say that I never thought I would ever write one. I seem to have a very capricious muse lol!!! I also suspect that this is a theme which must have been explored already, so, I apologize if it resembles someone else's work too closely: that was unintentional on my part.
I have made an illustrated version of it in the form of a slideshow, so if you would like to read it in that form here is the link.
Hope you enjoy!

I don't own Moonlight or any of the characters.

Rating is PG

Why

At last, he was at peace. At last, he could trust again. Even in himself…

He had just loved her, and she was now asleep in the trusted safety of his arms. Never had he felt so close to anyone before… and so pure. He almost felt human again, he pondered, smiling with melancholy. He watched her sleep as one would watch a miracle, in disbelief and awe. Familiar feelings invaded him, now deeper, stronger than ever before.

He leaned closer, his lips almost brushing against hers, soft eyes filled with wonder intensely staring onto hers, straining to see through them right into her soul. In the faintest murmur, he breathed out softly:

I will never let anything happen to you. I will protect you forever… I will love you forev…

He stopped with a start. Shivers raced down his spine as his last words echoed in his mind. Yet he exhaled in a nervous chuckle, and felt a half-smile form on his lips. His horror had already dissipated, he realized with surprise and wonder. At last, he no longer feared the memory of those words…
… those fateful words that had sent his entire world crumbling down, shattering everything he had ever known and cherished; … those innocent words, so natural for one as deeply in love to concede. So genuine, so sincere… so naïve. Which he had been punished so brutally for daring to utter. Betrayed. He no longer loved her now, he was sure of it, yet the memory still hurt.

How could she do this to me? I would never do this to my worst enemy.

Yet he smiled again. Watching Beth asleep in his arms, love and trust beaming through her peaceful features, he felt whole again. The nightmare was over now. He was alive again… happy again… redeemed... loved.

Emboldened by his nascent serenity, lured by a longing for closure, he let his thoughts drift back to That Night.
That Darkest of Nights, a lifetime ago, when reality ripped into nightmare. That Night which had haunted him ever since. He gently let his mind sink into the memories of how it had begun, slowly soaking in the feelings they evoked…
Bliss. Burning, unbearable, insane bliss… Naïve and arrogant bliss. Knowing he would be this happy tomorrow, and the day after, and the one after that one… for weeks and months and years to come… for the rest of his life… for longer than his mortal mind could possibly fathom… forever.
Ever since That Night, for all those decades, he had known for a fact that he would never feel that way again. No matter how many centuries he lived.

And yet there he was.

I have never felt this happy. Never, not even then. I have never loved anyone like this. Not even her.

He brought his lips to his angel's and brushed on the softest kiss, too faint to reach her in her dreams. Barely touching her, he caressed her face with his, slowly inhaling the scent of her skin, and her love for him even as she slept. He looked at her… so beautiful, so soft… her gentle breaths scarcely disturbing her delicate features. So human, so fragile… so mortal.

I will never let anyone hurt her.

The mere thought made him sick to his stomach. Before he knew it, his mind begun to explore what it might feel like if he ever had to experience the unthinkable… losing her. He had never truly considered that eventuality, so unbearable it was. He never really believed that it could happen. Not that he believed himself powerful enough to prevent it, but somehow, even after everything else, he could not fathom that the Universe could be so cruel. Not towards her, anyway… not towards one so pure to have saved even him, surely… He felt his eyes fill with tears. She was so fragile… a stray bullet, an accident… Certainly, that was not likely, he reminded himself with failing conviction. All right, so it was possible, but not likely, not with him there to protect her.

I will never let anything happen to you.

Of course, he knew that someday… Another wave of nausea coursed through his stomach. Again, he immediately began grasping at familiar thought patterns to suppress it.

It doesn't matter, I'll always know she loved me. She will have lived a happy, full life, with me; experienced the best in life, the only thing that really matters, true love. With me, thanks to me... I'll always know that… I'll always have that. And anyway, it doesn't matter right now, we still have decades ahead of us… That's a long, long time.

But the truth forced its way through.

No, it's not.

Pain and terror flooded him, unstoppable. Unbearable.
Suddenly both horror and relief struck. He understood.

That's why she did it.
Last edited by diane31 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Why

Post by francis »

This is a great story, pulling together Mick's new love for Beth and his greatest horror and his greatest fear and a new understanding for Coraline all in such few words. You are a great writer, I hope we get to see more of you. May the muse be with you! :hearts:
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Why

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Wow! So powerful in so few words! I hope you will be writing more for us soon!

:thumbs:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
Lilith
Fledgling

Re: Why - a One shot - PG 1/2/10

Post by Lilith »

Wow! I'm speechless. This is so... powerful, so amazing, so beautiful and sweet. And it's so Mick! I swear he would think like this, would have this feelings and fears. And it's so understandable. Really love this piece of work. :clapping: You should definetly go on with writing. You're a big talent. Love your style and the way you make the emotions so palpable for the reader! Thank you a lot for the story. :hug:
My story Newborn and the sequel Blood of the Lily
My Drawings
Cina and my first own novel Three Night Stand - Love is simple
lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

That was just perfect!! I hope we get more from you!! :cheer: :clapping:
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Oh Diane! This is just marvelous! Forever, literal forever, means nothing to a human... but it is a near-reality to a vamp... and the thought of losing one loved so dearly... what a cool way for Mick to have this revelation... thru memory, nostalgia, yet in the bliss of current love.

Please DO write more... and I need to visit your vid... :hyper2:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
aolver
Rogue vampire

Post by aolver »

:flowers: You are a wonderful writer. I can't believe this is your first fic. So Mick finally understands the motivation. This time at least he and Beth will do it right, with full disclosure and mutual consent, with no regret on Beth's part. Beautiful.... :heart:
Beautiful banner and avatar by Skylar
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

diane31, I've already commented in your slideshow thread, and I encourage anyone who enjoyed your story in this form to check out the slideshow version. It's such a creative and personal way of reading the story. You draw us in to the story with your inventive and sensitive use of screencaps and sound effects. it's really lovely. Even more lovely than the story alone--which I really, really like.

Everyone, really--go to the slideshow! You won't be sorry.
one.zebra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by one.zebra »

Ahh...heard earned understanding....
..but, even if that's why she did it, there is no excuse to rob him of his informed consent.

None.

You do not do that to someone you love..that is not love that is completely selfish.

So, if this helps him turn Beth when she is willing, then things will have come cull circle...and he will be at peace.
Banner and avatar by Twilightdew!

Travelling 33rpm in an iPod world
helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

Very touching and thought provoking! Thanks for sharing~!
diane31
Fledgling

Post by diane31 »

Wow, thank you everybody!!! :heart: I didn't expect so much enthusiasm!!! I am touched more than you can imagine... and incredibly excited! I really hope that my muse comes back sometime... and come to think of it, like some of you said, I am surprised that she would have a thing for concision, because, well... let's just say that that is usually not my strong point :whistle:
It is really so fascinating reading comments because it makes me aware of some aspects that I had not thought through. For example strangely I hadn't really thought that much about Coraline's own experience of turning Mick. I happen to be a purely MickBeth-shipper, and most of the time I just love to hate Coraline. It is supreme irony for me to realize that of all her reprehensible acts, it seems to be Mick's turning that I find most understandable!!! Not to the point of being forgiveable, by no means. And that's where Mick isn't and can never be totally in her shoes no matter what: even suddenly feeling the same longing, he would never sucumb to that temptation, because he is way too selfless. And his love for Beth is based on caring - true love. Also, admitedly he is not quite under as much pressure as Coraline was, because he has been honest with Beth to begin with. Yet her turning Mick seems to me the one terrible thing that Coraline did that was not coldly calculated and purely manipulative (as opposed to, for instance, having someone killed just to play mind-games with Mick). I remember someone saying on this site that she saw what she wanted most, tried to grab it, and lost it by doing so. That's always been my impression too, so I guess I find her action in this case tragic and sad at the same time as selfish. Had she been her usual manipulative self, it seems to me she would have figured that she had better chances on the long run by telling him the truth even at that point.
I must say I am somewhat relieved that I don't seem to have horrified anyone too much though... at some point I was wondering whether the ending might warrant a dark fic warning... I did feel terribly bad putting our Mick through painful experiences!!!
seamus3333
Freelance freshie

Post by seamus3333 »

Diane, I just finished watching the slide show. What a magnificent blending of images and poetry! Your prose is pure poetry, done with love. Bravo!
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

Wow, if this is your first, I hope we have a long history on this board of more of this quality! You, my friend, are good!!! The best part? That last line. You made Coraline sympathetic. Mick finally realized WHY Coraline did it, whether delusionally or not. Wow...
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

This is a really beautiful look into Mick's mind, his thoughts. And the realization he has at the end is really the essence of the vampire/human problem. A human lifetime is not a long time for a vampire at all. That realization, and that understanding of Coraline, is such a shock for Mick in this story - just as it would be for him. Lovely - and chilling.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Diane:

This is superb. Wonderful, elegantly written and chilling.

I'll add my voice to all of those who have said that they hope to read more of you work. You are very talented and have a wonderful grasp on Micl/Beth/Coraline.

Thank you for this gem!!!

:flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :hearts:

jen
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “diane31's Office”