A Game of Chess, Ch. 6 (PG-13)

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

A Game of Chess, Ch. 6 (PG-13)

Post by librarian_7 »

Yes, still June 1863, still New York City, and still Josef. Whom I do not own.

A Game of Chess

Chapter 6

The pendulum clock on the mantelpiece had barely finished chiming eight, when Honoria Marshall’s foot began to tap impatiently, and the motion of her fan became an indicator of her irritation.

“He’s late,” she announced needlessly. “I thought he had more courtesy.”

Schuyler Smith glanced at the third person in the room, but young Mrs. Cam had her head down, concentrating on her knitting. Wise girl, he thought. “I’m sure Fitz will be along any minute now,” he said soothingly. “I’ve never known him to fail in punctuality.”

“And you’ve know him what? A month?” Mrs. Marshall snapped.

“More like four,” Sky answered mildly. He gestured toward the window of the second story drawing room. “It’s still light out, and the streets stay crowded on fine evenings. His driver may be having trouble getting through.”

“Then he should have left earlier, to be sure of being on time.”

Schuyler didn’t reply. There was no dealing with the matriarch in this sort of mood. And he understood the near panic that was rising so close to the surface, really he did. The mere fact that she was reaching out to a stranger…well.

Mrs. Marshall became dissatisfied with merely tapping her foot, and abandoned her throne-like armchair, the one that had once been the domain of her late husband, and began to pace the room, snapping her fan open and closed, open and closed. Mrs. Cam, Sky noticed, seemed to shrink ever farther inside herself, the slight motion of her fingers and the muted click of her knitting needles the only sound she made. And that regular, gentle domestic noise was more soothing than anything else she could have done.

Mrs. Cam was happy to be unnoticed, happy to sink into the mindless work of her hands. There was little art to her task, but she’d promised months ago to turn out several pairs of plain, serviceable socks a week for the boys fighting so far away from home and comfort. She was hard pressed, sometimes, to keep up. The afternoons rolling bandages and doing other tasks “for the war effort” with the Ladies Aid Society were wearing, and she’d barely had time to change into an acceptable gown for dinner, after hurrying home this afternoon. As much as her mother-in-law approved of her activities as correct for a young matron at her level of society, “Particularly one with no family responsibilities, yet,” she would not brook Mrs. Cam being late to dinner, or poorly turned out. Sometimes Mrs. Cam thought resentfully, if she only had a baby, any minor transgressions would be forgiven. She didn’t think it was her fault Cam hadn’t given her one yet. Her fingers moved a little faster, until she dropped a stitch, and slowed down to rectify the mistake, guilty for feeling angry with her husband. Concerned, it was all right to feel concerned, but angry was wrong.

Still, she thought, Mama Marshall would take care of things. She always did, and she always would. Cam would listen to her, and everything would be right again.

The minutes were ticking by, and the awaited visitor did not arrive until a quarter past the hour.

Josef came in, apologizing for his tardiness. A disturbance in the streets, he had been delayed unconscionably. He begged forgiveness for it, and so on and so forth.

Schuyler frowned. “Disturbance? What sort of disturbance?”

Josef shook his head. “Some ragged fellows protesting the draft, I believe. Nothing to trouble us, I think. But it did have the effect of making me keep you all waiting on my appearance. And they should be tossed in jail for that, should they not, Mrs. Marshall?”

“Indeed they should, Mr. Fitzgerald.” She waved her fan to dismiss the inconveniences of the outside world. “Now then, may we offer you some refreshment? Coffee, perhaps? Or something stronger?” Her hand poised at the bell pull, ready to summon the waiting maid.

Josef smiled and shook his head. “Thank you, but no.”

“Damned rabble,” Schuyler observed.

Mrs. Marshall flashed a frown at him. “Language, sir.”

“My pardon, Aunt Honoria.” Schuyler used the old, affectionate term of address he had once been permitted, as Cam’s close friend. It was not often allowed, now that they were adults, but he thought it not unwise to underline the relationship he enjoyed with the family. Not that he didn’t trust Fitz,but Mrs. Marshall was right. He was almost a stranger.

The basic social niceties had been observed, and Mrs. Marshall knew the time had come for her to lay out the reason for her summons. She settled, with careful adjustments of her complex attire, back into her chair, and snapped her fan closed, decisively.

“I realize,” she said, “that we’ve scarcely met, Mr. Fitzgerald. Somehow, though, the fond recollections I have of your uncle incline me to repose a greater trust in your character than our acquaintance would necessarily warrant.”

“In that case, I must make every effort to justify your regard, Mrs. Marshall, if only for the sake of Uncle Bobby’s reputation.”

Mrs. Marshall smiled bleakly. “I see you are a man of fine perceptions.”

Josef inclined his head slightly in response. “I do try, Mrs. Marshall.”

She looked around the room, taking in the bent head and industrious hands of her daughter-in-law. The riveted, sardonic attention of Schuyler Smith. He’d been a good friend to Cam, and she hoped his advice now was sound. Her instincts, the sense that had guided her through many dangerous social shoals, seemed to be deserting her now. She could not separate this newcomer from her memories of Bobby Fitz. He’d been dangerous and unpredictable, but he’d never played her false. And she’d be lying if she tried to forget the ache in her heart when he left. Still, she’d known then it was important for her to move on, to marry someone socially acceptable. Someone like Cam’s father.

Now, she needed help, and Cam’s father wasn’t here. Neither was Bobby Fitz, but this stranger, the nephew with his face, would do. One used the tools, she thought, that one was given.

“Mr. Fitzgerald,” she said, “it’s an unforgiveable imposition, I know, but I have a problem. And something tells me you may be in a position to assist me.”

Josef smiled at her, his eyes thoughtful. Honoria Vane had been strong-willed as a girl, and he’d recognized the steel beneath her maidenly exterior from the beginning, had been drawn to it. He supposed he ought to decline politely and get out. What were these human affairs that he should trouble himself with them? He had business, serious business, to attend to. Only the bare memory of a laughing, willful girl whirling in his arms in a scandalous waltz stayed him. No obligation, but the whim to see Honoria’s youthful smile on the face of her son. He looked at the matriarch, his gaze warm with memory. “Mrs. Marshall,” he said, “tell me what you require of me.”

“Somehow I knew…” she said, and took a deep breath. “Mr. Fitzgerald—it’s my son, Cam.”

“Financial trouble?” Josef asked. That, he could turn to his own advantage.

Mrs. Marshall straightened in her chair. “No. Although that may come. I fear worse.”

Josef took a seat near her, and nodded encouragingly.

“It’s that woman, Mr. Fitzgerald. That Frenchwoman you met in our box at the opera.”

“Mlle. Duvall?”

Mrs. Marshall looked as though she smelled something unpleasant. “The same.”

So that’s the way the wind was blowing. “She’s very beautiful,” Josef said carefully.

“It’s like you men to notice that.” Mrs. Marshall shot a quick glance at Mrs. Cam. “If it were just a bit of dalliance…you’ve been about the world, Mr. Fitzgerald. Pardon my bluntness, but we would forgive Cam a few foibles. But this woman…she’s poison.”

You have no idea, Josef thought. No idea. “What’s she done, Mrs. Marshall?” Might as well find out if they had any clue how far things had gone.

Schuyler answered. “We’re not sure, so far. But Cam was steady. Hard-working. A walking reproach to wastrels like me. Or so my wife informs me.” Schuyler pursed his lips. “He’s taken to staying out half the night, and sleeping through the mornings.”

“It isn’t drink, Mr. Fitzgerald. Or laudanum, so far as we can tell. But he’s obsessed with this woman. It’s like she’s a demon, possessing him,” Mrs. Marshall added.

Josef noticed Mrs. Cam’s knitting needles had stilled, the young woman’s hands shaking against her skirt. She might not be voicing her thoughts, but to Josef, she was speaking volumes.

“Just last night,” Mrs. Marshall continued, “Cam was dining at home for the first time in a week, and she sent a note, commanding him to attend her. He rose from the table—the soup had not even gone out—and despite all our entreaties, left the house at once. He never came back, not until this morning.” She forgot her dignity, and let her hands pick at the fan in her lap with nervous intensity. “If this keeps up…if it becomes known…”

“You know what businessmen are like here, Fitz. All right to keep a discreet mistress tucked away someplace handy, but the way things are going, Cam won’t be received anywhere. And if society won’t receive him, three-fourths of his business contacts will be lost.”

Josef nodded. Someday, he thought, business would just be business, and social standing, or lack of it, not an issue. It was even worse in Philadelphia and Boston. He’d thought New York might be easier; it had the reputation of being more open to ability and ruthlessness. Instead, he found the same strictures applied. There were more self-made men, to be true, but it was not as open as he’d hoped. “I do understand the situation,” he replied, “but my dear Mrs. Marshall, what is it you think I can do to remedy this? She’s not the kind of person, I think, who can be bought off.”

“Not,” Schulyer said drily, “that we haven’t tried. That damned—pardon, ma’am—housekeeper of hers all but slammed the door in my face. She made the oddest comment, too. Positively sniffed at me, and said something about weak-blooded ninnies.”

Josef arched an eyebrow. “Indeed?” He rubbed a hand over his mouth, thinking. Separating a vampire from someone she’d chosen as prey…difficult. Not impossible, if it were put to her right, though.

Mrs. Cam looked up, for the first time, and caught Josef’s eye. “Mr. Fitzgerald, I saw the way you looked at Mademoiselle Duvall. And the way she looked at you. Please, you can talk to her. Make her give me back my husband.”

Josef tried hard to be the vampire he thought he should be. Heartless, pitiless. He found, however, that he was powerless to say no, against the combined pleas of these women. He rose and went to Mrs. Cam, to take her hand and bow over it. He’d thought her lifeless, dull, when they first met, but he was seeing more. She’d been overshadowed by the company, he thought. It was perhaps no wonder that Cam had been susceptible to the vivid charms of Coraline Duvall.

“Mrs. Cam,” he said gently, “I will do what I can. That I will promise you.”
one.zebra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: A Game of Chess, Ch. 6 (PG-13)

Post by one.zebra »

Loving this story..(no surprise)...Coraline to make things interesting..very glad we are not subjected to such strict social structure....I would find that most tedious.
Banner and avatar by Twilightdew!

Travelling 33rpm in an iPod world
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Very intriguing chapter!! How will Josef approach Coraline?! This seems like a difficult assignment!!!! :gasp: :dizzy: :devil: I love this story and can't wait to see what happens next... :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :hyper2: :nosee: :nails: :jester: :stir: :slingshot: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :heart: :flowers:

mitzie :mooncat:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I love your description of your original characters. The matriarch, impatient and strict, the wife trying to do right but so repressed in everything, stressed out by all the things she could do wrong. There’s such a vivid picture of how the women were back then, in such few words.
Josef is his charming self when he comes in, how could Mrs. Marshall not forgive.
I just love how Honoria and Josef remember each other, but she doesn’t know he’s Bobby. It makes all the difference, but still she trusts him mainly because of her remembrance of his late „uncle“.
Coraline is playing her game, but in that time and age there was a much closer community, people recognized much earlier when someone changed behaviour. That must have been dangerous. Vampires couldn’t live as easily, because they had much more effort to stay hidden and justify their nocturnal habits. You just were no-one without a family to back you up, and to fabricate one was virtually impossible. So they always were outsiders or oddities of society. And now Coraline is drawing attention, and that’s dangerous.
Josef is in a dilemma. Does he really have any influence on Coraline? But if he doesn’t try, the secret is in danger.
Josef tried hard to be the vampire he thought he should be. Heartless, pitiless. He found, however, that he was powerless to say no, against the combined pleas of these women.
Oh, Josef. That’s part of why we love you.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

So Cam has fallen prey to the wiles of Coraline.....they're both absent from this chapter, yet they are at the center of all the fuss....

What's truly heartbreaking is that the 'fuss' is all about perception, social standing, business contracts and not about the young woman sitting quietly in the corner knitting her heart out.
“You know what businessmen are like here, Fitz. All right to keep a discreet mistress tucked away someplace handy, but the way things are going, Cam won’t be received anywhere. And if society won’t receive him, three-fourths of his business contacts will be lost.”
In the presence of Cam's wife, the assembled speak the acceptability of having a mistress, as long as she's 'discrete'. I note that through the story so far, Mrs. Cam has no first name. She's only referred to in terms of being Camden's wife - and in the eyes of all she is nothing more than that. She's an appendage to the family, a ways to a means of carrying on the family name, almost a non-entity. And yet she pleads with Josef for the return of her husband.

How sad. And yet Josef sees something more to her.
He’d thought her lifeless, dull, when they first met, but he was seeing more. She’d been overshadowed by the company, he thought. It was perhaps no wonder that Cam had been susceptible to the vivid charms of Coraline Duvall.
I'm anxious to see just what Josef does and what he sees in Mrs. Cam. :flowers:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
tucutecats
Fledgling

Post by tucutecats »

always good to wake up to a new chapter in the life of our Joseph. Your descripton of the characters is so prtfect i feel i am there
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Thanks so much for reading and commenting. francis, dsr, I'm always fascinated to see your commentary...and sure enough, you pick up on some good points!

mitzie, tucute, o.z...thanks so much! You are all such faithful readers.

Lucky
NightAir
Fledgling

Post by NightAir »

More pieces have been played. I'm eager to see how the game progresses.
moonlight_vixen
Courtesan

Post by moonlight_vixen »

What a very interesting turn of events we have happening! I can't wait to see how Josef handles Coraline...
Josef tried hard to be the vampire he thought he should be. Heartless, pitiless. He found, however, that he was powerless to say no, against the combined pleas of these women.
And this is one of the many, many reasons why we love Josef :rose:
Banner And Avatar By Me
______________________________________________________________________________________
Proud Josef Exclusive+
Proud Co-Founder Of Maroon-A-Holics
THINK KOSTAN!
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Josef arched an eyebrow. “Indeed?” He rubbed a hand over his mouth, thinking. Separating a vampire from someone she’d chosen as prey…difficult. Not impossible, if it were put to her right, though.

Mrs. Cam looked up, for the first time, and caught Josef’s eye. “Mr. Fitzgerald, I saw the way you looked at Mademoiselle Duvall. And the way she looked at you. Please, you can talk to her. Make her give me back my husband.”
That's so sad. :sadface:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I so look forward to seeing Josef talk to Coraline. It is amazing how much society has changed in the last 150 years. There were so many rules and rigid structures.

We love Josef because he isn't heartless. He can be ruthless but not heartless.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Lucky, one of the things I've so enjoyed in this story is the way the cadence changes so much between the high-society scenes and those set in the birdcage or on the street. Josef moves effortlessly between these strata of society, and knows exactly how to behave and how to speak in each one. It's a real pleasure to see your careful craftsmanship here... and the best part is, it doesn't feel like craftsmanship. It just feels right.

This story is moving along wonderfully. Josef may have chided Mick for his "soft spot for the mortal ones," but he's definitely got one too. He has compassion for poor Mrs. Cam (who, indeed, has no name of her own, poor thing) and Honoria. And he is going to go against his better judgment and try to help them.

I can't wait to be a fly on the wall when he finally meets Coraline face to face! And who's that damned housekeeper...? :chin:
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

I'm loving this story so much, but I just have to say that you continue to amaze me with the beauty of your writing.

This paragraph here...
Mrs. Marshall became dissatisfied with merely tapping her foot, and abandoned her throne-like armchair, the one that had once been the domain of her late husband, and began to pace the room, snapping her fan open and closed, open and closed. Mrs. Cam, Sky noticed, seemed to shrink ever farther inside herself, the slight motion of her fingers and the muted click of her knitting needles the only sound she made. And that regular, gentle domestic noise was more soothing than anything else she could have done.
It's perfect! In one sentence I know more about Mrs. Marshall than most could communicate in a whole chapter. And if that wasn't enough, you do the same in just one sentence with Mrs. Cam.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
banner by Cprav
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Feels very much like I am reading Pride and Prejudice or Jane Eyre.

The pacing, also, is quite wonderful.

Beautiful history, and so very Moonlight at the same time.

Nicely done!!!!

Thank you
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “A Game of Chess”