:hearts: :hearts:

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Vespers, story 2 (dusk) - PG

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:
I'm afraid today may be a bit of a letdown - there will be pics, but no more fic, I'm afraid!!!
Red
LETDOWN??? As many times as I re-read your fics, once posted, they each last me for days. :biggrin:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

wpgrace wrote:
redwinter101 wrote:
I'm afraid today may be a bit of a letdown - there will be pics, but no more fic, I'm afraid!!!
Red
LETDOWN??? As many times as I re-read your fics, once posted, they each last me for days. :biggrin:
:smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch:

rijane
Freelance freshie

Post by rijane »

redwinter101 wrote: fourteen-year-old Fiametta, fingering the heavy-set jewels at her delicate throat, entrusted in loan from her mother for the day.
Wonderful character detail here - painting a picture of her in just a few strokes
redwinter101 wrote: "Father!" he cried out in pain and indignation, expecting intervention, rescue, salvation, finding only grim silence.
This moment particularly, but also those that came before capture the realities of life in feudal Italy, even for a skilled craftsman. This background also explains why Josef chose the path he did - the capitalist, a life of wealth and indulgence, but for all his bloodsucking a very different sort of 'nobleman' than those he grew up with.

Great work! And a twofer this evening!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Kind of a one-and-a-half-fer. :giggle: Life as a successful merchant was better than most - but not without its trials. Still not top of the food chain...

Red

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Red

This is wonderful. Someone upthread used the perfect phrase--this is a rich tapestry, carefully woven and provides a rich glimpse into the origins of the man we call Josef Kostan.

Yes, we all want to see that thoroughly ignoble member of 'nobility' get a lesson but unless that lesson comes very soon from Guiseppi, someone else may be teach it it him first. People like that tend to make enemes in packs.

Noooooooooooooooo!!! Now what is this about no more fic???

I, too, have read your fic multiple times and they are very, very enjoyable each and every time I do. Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us. I understand that the story arc of the Divine Office is coming to a close.

(I selfishly hope I am misunderstanding the statement that there will be no more fic.)

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Last edited by jen on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, jen - the "no more fic" comment just meant no more fic that day. The final part of this series is under way.

:heart:

Red

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Whew!!!!

I am vastly relieved!!!

I can be so darned literal sometimes.

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: enna
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:giggle:

:hearts: :hearts: :rose: :rose:

Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

Wow - tapestry really is the right word for this, and it's such a rich and vivid one. All that perfect historical detail, and descriptions that bring the time and place alive. This past for Josef makes so much sense for him, too - the deep appreciation of artistry and fine craftsmanship, the power and politics and manipulation, were all there in his human world. I adore seeing him with his human family, too, and getting that moment of family contentment as the service draws to a close .... those are things that are so far away from him now.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, Shadow. It was great fun imagining Josef's family and how they shaped the character we see - and how much of the human Josef remains in the immortal one.

Red

Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Image What a complete and utter son-of-a bitch Lorenzo is!!
Spoiler:
I'm more than positive he is overcompensating for a teeny, tiny dick!! :giggle:

But as everyone has said already (you have such brilliant commenters, Red -- yours truly marginally so), this life lesson forged the present-day Josef we know and love, and we can now understand his motivations for the things he says and does. I love that he knows he is his father's son, but intends to make more of himself after what he's witnessed. I was truly grateful he did not display any shame at all for his father, just pure incredulity that someone could treat his father that way when he is such a good and decent man.

francis wrote:Grrrrrr. The only redeeming factor for Lorenzo is that he made Josef the man he is now.
Wonderful backstory for Josef. I love the name you gave him, and that he's a fine artisan and not noble of birth. It fits well into his later profession of self-made man, rich but not born into privilege, proud of his own achievement.

I wonder, maybe he even made that ring Mick is wearing? There's a plot bunny if anyone wants to grab it.
It sure does, francis!!
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Moonlighter wrote:ImageWhat a complete and utter son-of-a bitch Lorenzo is!!
Spoiler:
I'm more than positive he is overcompensating for a teeny, tiny dick!! :giggle:
:rolling: :rolling: You may well be right, honey.
Moonlighter wrote:But as everyone has said already (you have such brilliant commenters, Red -- yours truly marginally so)
I do indeed have amazing readers and commenters, including you.
Moonlighter wrote:this life lesson forged the present-day Josef we know and love, and we can now understand his motivations for the things he says and does. I love that he knows he is his father's son, but intends to make more of himself after what he's witnessed. I was truly grateful he did not display any shame at all for his father, just pure incredulity that someone could treat his father that way when he is such a good and decent man.
Thanks - I'm glad that rang true. Giuseppe is already learning about power and hierarchy and although this day's events have shocked him, they haven't altered the fundamentals of his love for his father.

Red

jen
Cleaner

Re: 7b. Vespers, story 2 (dusk) - PG

Post by jen »

Just reread this treasure and adore the rich tapestry of sensations you have presented to draw us into that place and time.

Life was harsh for them.

I must add my voice to all the others who would love to see when Josef Kostan ran into Lorenzo again, but somehow he may have to get in line.

Thank you, Red!

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: 7b. Vespers, story 2 (dusk) - PG

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, jen. It was lovely fun to conjure such a hissable villain. :snicker:

Red