Knowledge is power (PG) - challenge #116 (part 1 of 3)

jen
Cleaner

Re: Knowledge is power (PG) - challenge #116 (part 1 of 3)

Post by jen »

Wonderful, Red!

Your skill in capturing the Moonlight universe is very nearly unequalled.

The ambiance you weave with Mick working a case is delicious, as he proves his talents and instincts (to himself an to his clients).

Fabulos reread!

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:blushing: and :curtesy:

Thanks, jen.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Mmmm, Red -- I'm just starting this and already I'm pulled in completely! I also love to read about Mick being good at his job, and this case seems to have captured his full attention. I agree with francis about him taking this case like he did Haggans' case even though he didn't care for the client then, either. And the noir feel is perfect for Mick's persona as well.

So now that Marsden knows the type of PI he's involved with, it will be interesting to know who did refer him? Obviously whoever it was knew how thorough Mick would be and that the secret contents of the briefcase wouldn't be secret for long. Okay, so Mick's primed and ready for action at this intersection so I'm gonna mosey along and see what happens next.

Thanks Red!!
:heart: :rose: :heart:
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Hey, Moonlighter - sorry it's taken me a while to respond. Like you I love Mick working... for me that was oretty much the whole point of this story so I'm glad that caught your attention.

Off to part 2!

Red

coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

I'm intrigued. Mick's a man on a mission. :twothumbs:

Fab start, Red. :biggrin:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:smooch: Thanks, coco.

Red

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

It has been over a year since I took this journey. Definitely time for a reread.

There is so much to love here. The casual details are decoded, one by one, to uncover the truths beneath. Mick has become very, very good at noticing the details. Each one provides a wealth of information and even more questions.

The eight by ten glossies floated across the desk, coming to rest trapped under Mick’s fingertips, but his gaze never wavered from the prospective client sitting at ease, but not easy, across from him. He was a referral, apparently, but wouldn’t say from whom. Mid-forties, dark hair peppered with grey, the soft hands of a man who spent his life in an office although there was a weather-beaten look to his face that gave Mick cause to wonder at his profession. His suit was immaculate but conservative, nothing showy or flashy. Wire-rimmed spectacles and well-polished loafers completed a picture of a man making a determined effort to be forgettable.

In the interview segment at the beginning of NSTAV, he said that being a private investigator was a way to use his special abilities and he puts them to good use here. A regular, human gumshoe is so outclassed and outgunned.
Mick was certain he was lying. The minute changes in pulse, temperature, a bead of sweat on his tightly-controlled brow, the moment of hesitation before each carefully-constructed answer. But it was a case. A human case. Honest money, if such a thing existed, fee paid upfront and even if it turned out the car in question now resided in various chop shops across the city at least it was a puzzle to unravel. It didn’t always have to be about saving the world.
It all seems so simple for Mick but even with his enhanced senses, he had to acquire the skills to use them. He knows more about his client than his client wants him to know and has his suspicions elsewhere.

Mick was on the hunt. He couldn't deny the thrill, the energy, the clarity of purpose. Snitches giving up the goods, levers pulled, favours called in, the occasional threat and a strong-arm when needed. He was purposeful, determined. It wasn't about Marsden. It was a challenge, personal and professional. Prove to himself and the universe, this was where he was supposed to be.

I love this! What a wonderful exposition of Mick. He has come along way from the guitar player in the flowered shirt. Perhaps Mick had a tad of self acceptance back then.
Time to get this show on the road.
Wonderful.

Thank you
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:smooch: Thanks, jen. It's so lovely to see this pop up on active topics - writing that first interview scene with Mick and Marsden was such fun.

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This shows us a different facet of Moonlight, and gives us a good look at Mick in his element. This is what he does, and he does it well. It is a part of what makes him tick and (I think) is one of the keys to his self worth.

Its a pleasure to watch him work here. Sans Beth, sans Josef, sans Guillermo, Logan, Ryder or Cleaners.

Very nice.

Thank you

Jenna
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This treasure shows us Mick in his element, and Mick's intelligence often gets overlooked. He is quite perceptive and has amazing instincts that fill in what the mobile vampire lab and enhanced senses don't tell him.

Fabulous first chapter!!!

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:

Return to “Knowledge is Power”